• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Should children be judged on their names? Debate on This Morning

I admit there are some names that would make me think immediately that the child comes from a chavvy family, but I would give them the benefit of the doubt and certainly wouldn't ban my child from interacting with them.

The nature of a young child is mostly determined by how they're raised and brought up. Certainly not because of a name given to them before they're born or shortly after.

It might be a language thing, but isn't a "chav" someone similar to like a person on "Jersey Shore"? Like Snooki kind of?

What would be wrong with a child playing with a kid from a family like this? I mean, don't get me wrong, I know they can be a little ... crass? But kids are kids.

Just watched it. It made me laugh rather than get angry. I actually don't think she's very bright. She made a fool of herself.

Personally I am a fan of the more traditional names but I would never judge based on a name! Poor kids

It might be a language thing, but isn't a "chav" someone similar to like a person on "Jersey Shore"? Like Snooki kind of?

What would be wrong with a child playing with a kid from a family like this? I mean, don't get me wrong, I know they can be a little ... crass? But kids are kids.

Yup. Snooki would be a chav :)
And personally I reckon she'd be brill to hang out with!

Yup. Snooki would be a chav :)
And personally I reckon she'd be brill to hang out with!

Okay, got it.

And I agree! She seems like she'd be fun at a party :rofl:

Love how at the end Holly is just like....STOP haha. She's made herself look like a complete idiot as the whole interview is 3 vs her!

Muppet.

I don't think I will care who Millie plays with, as long as Millie never gets hurt by someone she thinks as a friend she can play with who she likes....................unless they are the spawn of Katy Hopkins herself, not that her darling sweet India would be seen dead with a Millie :rofl:

My parents were really snobby with who I could/couldn't hang out with. If they weren't the same economical class as us then they really disapproved.

Which was very frustrating for me because the kids who were of the approved economic class were catty, bitchy and mean. :nope: But the working class kiddos were really good friends of mine. God forbid if a friend lived in a townhouse or an apartment rather than a full sized house. :dohh:

We argued about it tooth and nail, I'll never forget how indignant I was. Claire will be taught that so long as her friends are good friends to her and treat her well then THAT'S what's important... not their social economic background. :dohh:

I didnt get how she thought class meant you did better at school. I come from a working class background and i did better educationally than my friends who went to private school. My family had good work ethic and always did homework and never got in trouble. She was such a snob

I'd say the American equivalent of "chav" could be "trailer trash"

Katie Hopkins was caught with her knickers down shaggin someone in a field.

Real classy lady her!!

I don't judge any kiddy on their names at all! Not all names are to my taste but i don't make any assumptions just by a name.

I do agree that names can be a very generalized indicator of social class, but that is where my agreement with Katie Hopkins ends! I think that children can benefit and learn a lot from mixing with children from other socioeconomic classes. I pity her children as she obviously only values academic achievement, not skills such as being able to get along with others, compassion, kindness, humility, etc. Also, the woman is a complete hypocrite and it was hilarious watching her trying to wriggle out of the "India" thing. :haha:

Going to be hung for saying this but many a time I have made an assumption on a person based purely on their name. One of my good friends mentioned someone and I asked who she was and my friend said "not sure if you know her, her name is Jorgia, spelt J.O.R.G.I.A" (instead of Georgia) and I INSTANTLY made a negative assumption! Assumption was correct but it is interesting how names are often indicative of a persons personality! My friends son is called 'Shane' and I always knew he would be a little aggressive idiot and yup, 7 years old and he is just bloody awful!!

That's sad. I actually know a few Shane's and they are some of the nicest guys I've ever met.

Its like when we name our children. We all stay clear of a few names because we associate them with some horror we know! Cant count how many times people have said "oooooh no, dont choose that! I know 4 *insert name* and they are all complete bitches!"

Not really anything to do with the name though is it...........if a child turns into a 'little aggressive idiot' then poor parenting is the reason.

He could be called Alfie / James / Shane / Damien.

Just like Katie Hopkins sweet little India could be the little bitch that nips everyone in the Private Schools Play yard.

I think there are some very basic generalisations that can be applied to different names. That's not me being judgemental, but for example my name is Harriet, and that tends to be quite a middle class name. But a) it would be completely stupid to assume that all Harriets are going to be from the same social group and b) it's also completely stupid to think you need to 'protect' your children from 'lower' social groups, although if you have that attitude I would be actually glad that some children are going to be protected from your judgemental bullshit.

OK, my two kids are 'Tabitha' and 'Ottilie'. My name is Jessica and my husband is Rupert and I can guarantee most people would hear them and think "wow, pretentious!" or think lots of money, posh private school lot, boring academic types etc....

I think there are some very basic generalisations that can be applied to different names. That's not me being judgemental, but for example my name is Harriet, and that tends to be quite a middle class name. But a) it would be completely stupid to assume that all Harriets are going to be from the same social group and b) it's also completely stupid to think you need to 'protect' your children from 'lower' social groups, although if you have that attitude actually glad that some children are going to be protected from your judgemental bullshit.

If you introduced yourself as a Harriet I would assume you were middle class yes. I would presume your parents were well to-do, you would have a good level of academia and if you had children they would probably have equally middle class names.

This women only says these things to get a reaction, she can't be serious at all

I think there are some very basic generalisations that can be applied to different names. That's not me being judgemental, but for example my name is Harriet, and that tends to be quite a middle class name. But a) it would be completely stupid to assume that all Harriets are going to be from the same social group and b) it's also completely stupid to think you need to 'protect' your children from 'lower' social groups, although if you have that attitude I would actually glad that some children are going to be protected from your judgemental bullshit.

This just made me laugh actually. On the subject of judging people by their name, when I first came on here I was pregnant and FOB was cheating on me with a lass named Harriet. There was a member on here who had a LO with the same name and I instantly hated her, decided she'd picked the worst name possible and that her baby would grow up to be absolutely awful. I think I even blocked her for a while :lol:
That was mostly pregnancy hormones though.. :blush:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kayzee94
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"