Single mommy by choice

Oh, hey, Ashliee, I'm so sorry, I didn't want to upset you. I maybe shouldn't hav used the crazy face, but I think everyone's a little crazy in their own special way - it's what helps make the world such a wonderful place. I really am sorry for upsetting you again and hope you can stride forward with hope and love and success.

:flower:

Can you send me the link to this FB group please?

There are a few other threads I belong to. And we have a ttc facebook group that is totally secret. None of your friends ever see if you post or what is being posted in the group. Totally invisible except to you. We have never had someone doing AI in there. If that is something you are interested in, PM me your name and I can add you in. :)

QUOTE]

Ok, it has taken me some way to trawl through this thread and I have a few opinions of my own that I would like to share. I 'got caught' when I was 21, and had my DS at 22. I am luckily very close with my family, because FOB only wanted to know if he could be with me. We broke up when I was 6 weeks pregnant, and there was no way I was having that controlling nasty man in life. I spent 5 years as a single mum beating myself up, working to support us both in dead end jobs. Then my mum said I should think about furthering my education. I enrolled on a degree course and spent 4 years with very little social life, as we were scrimping and saving, my son NEVER went without. I graduated this summer, but my life is totally different now. When DS was 7, on one of my few nights out I happened upon the man of my dreams. Until this point DS hadn't met a single man in my life, as I didn't think any of them was worthy. But this time was different and after a lot of coaxing from my OH I eventually introduced them. I am now happily engaged and pregnant with his first child. He loves DS like his own, and I am so relieved I met him. Whilst I may not have gone out of my way to get pregnant at 21, there was nothing but love when I found out, and FOB was little more than the cause of much anxiety. I would never change a thing, it was the hardest thing I have ever had to do, and I am who I am because of DS.
He is clever, well mannered, gentle hearted and eerily picking up traits of OH...very cute. He is the best 9 year old I know! Good luck to you my love, I truely hope you get all your heart desires. As for "statistics" they only EVER prove what the company undertaking them has been paid to prove, so they are not worth anything! Governments lie...but that's a whole other argument!
:hugs:

I can COMPLETELY understand where you come from.
I came from a very broken home - my mum and dad were together, then not, and my mum was diagnosed schizophrenic and I then went into foster care.

As a child of 10 I was looking after my family's babies, my friends sisters and brothers etc. When I was 12 I was regularly looking after a 1 year old, until I was 15. As in, Friday night to Sunday night.

I was then raped as a 14 year old - by my then boyfriend (I was a virgin at the time, and we hadn't been together long) and I fell pregnant. I found out at 15 weeks. He then found out my friend knew what he had done, and came round my house and confronted me. I was almost 24 weeks when he pushed me over and my daughter lost oxygen and died.

From then on, all I wanted was to be a mum, RIGHT THEN.

I then got my own flat at 16. I wanted to be a mum so bad! Then at 17 I'd been with my boyfriend for a year (he didn't live with me), and the first thing I thought? "I can come off my pill..."

Every time I was late, I did a pregnancy test, hoping and praying I was pregnant. I mean, I'd been thinking of this for YEARS - it's all I wanted. I had my own home, my own job, I paid for EVERYTHING myself (Even though in the UK, I could have had it all paid for for me as a care leaver)

Me and my boyfriend broke up, and I was devastated. I thought he was the one. I then swore off men and decided I would try to become a single mother.

I looked up sperm donors... etc. It looked hard, but I knew I could do it.

Then, purely by chance, I invited a guy I worked with over for pizza. He came round to watch a scary movie (he lived round the corner from me) and he stayed the night watching movies. The next day, he kissed me before leaving. My heart felt like it was going to BURST out of my chest.
We got together, and after a month, I told him how I felt, that I wanted a family and that I didn't want to wait till I was 25 etc... (I was 18 when I met him) and he said he doesn't either, but he wanted to become a manager in our workplace, and wanted us to live together first. 6 months later he moved in. We then decided to TTC. On our 1st anniversary I got my sticky positive, after 5 misscarriages. He then came home with a diamond ring and proposed.
9 months later my beautiful daughter was born. I was 20 years old.
She was the best, but the HARDEST thing to ever happen to me.
I am bi-polar, but controlled on medication. I had nights where she'd e fast asleep, and I'd be on my bathroom floor in tears - not because of bipolar... but because I had this little body that myself and my partner were responsible for. If she hurt herself, we'd be expected to fix it. As a teenager wanting a baby, that sounded like heaven. As a mum to a 3 month old with colic who cried for 5 days with only 1 hour breaks every so often? It was hell. I couldn't fix her. Without my partner, I wouldn't have gotten through it. We ended up not seeing each other because I'd stay up all night with her, and sleep on his days off of work so he had Amelia! My husband works from 6am-8pm, and gets home late, and works 6 days a week, sometimes 7, so I feel like a single mum sometimes, because when he DOES get home, he's tired, but I need those few hours he can take over, because otherwise I'd be dead to the world.

As much as your family is tight nit (so is my in law family) they won't ALWAYS be available to have your child for a few hours, or to be there when you need them RIGHT that second (because unfortunately, when something goes wrong, you have to fix it RIGHT THEN) and I know my in laws were supposed to be a big help - but they have their own lives and we hardly see them.

15 months after she was born, we got married in front of all of our family and friends. I was 21. And now, 3 months after that, we're TTC for our number 2.

So, to conclude - I DO know how you feel. I wanted Jessica more than I could have imagined wanting anything and losing her was heartbreaking. I was 14, and thought that I could handle anything. Now though, I know I couldn't have given her the life I wanted to.

I also look back at the times I thought I could just get pregnant with my boyfriend - and I realise how selfish I was for that. No matter how much I said to those who knew what I wanted "I will love that child, that's enough" and how I had an answer for everything, deep in my heart, I knew I wasn't doing the right thing. Love doesn't feed a child, and it doesn't fix a broken heart when they're being teased at school if someone finds out how they came to be.

NOW I look at my little girl, and my husband. I look at how her face lights up when he walks in the room. I listen to her and him having their "top secret conversations under the quilt" when I'm pretending to be asleep next to them. I watch him bath with her, and her fall asleep on him in the bath. THAT makes it all worth while.

So unfortunately, as someone who has gone through what you are feeling, and wanting, (although a lot of it was a lot younger than you are now, I was almost 19 when I got with my now husband) and failed to get what I wanted, but now have that in a stable marriage, where my partner is providing financially and I own my own business to contribute, I have to say that I cannot agree that you have thought this through.

I was self sufficient from 16 years old, and living in my own 2 bed flat. I was happy, healthy, and comfortable financially and I thought it through and through and through, but now, having had my little girl, I had NO idea. Just looking after a child that isn't yours doesn't compare.
You can ALWAYS give them back. I had to have my nephew whilst my brother went to work EVEN when I was sick as hell - or else my brother would have lost his house. Even that doesn't compare to the responsibility of having my own.

It's not your age, in the slightest, that I think makes you unprepared. I just don't think you realise JUST how hard it is, and that no matter how many twinges in your heart you get making you feel like it all has to be now - it doesn't. There's nothing wrong with wanting to be a single mother - I know how it feels to think "God, I'd rather spend my life on my own!" because men have been more trouble than good, but it's something that needs to be thought through a lot longer, AND as a chosen single mother, you NEED to have a fair amount of money to do so. Savings etc. We made sure that we had £3000 to buy everything we needed for the child, and we make sure that her bank account has a minimum of £200 in it at any one time in case of emergencies, and obviously our money goes on her necessities. You say in previous posts that you don't work, and you've just said you've STARTED a job, so can I assume you don't have much saved for this? I can HONESTLY say that I've used my daughters "put aside" money when things have broken, or I've needed to take a taxi somewhere. It's best to have something behind you. Not EVERYONE does, but if you're choosing to become a parent, a SINGLE parent, you need to have a fall back.

The one thing I think that I REALLY disagree with what you've said, is you saying "I don't want to be an old mum" - uh, sorry, you're 20! You could wait 5 years and do this exact same thing then, and still be young! My brother in law is 25 and still lives at home, is coasting by having his mum cook for him, do his washing and pay for him to have his hair cut - yet we are still completely happy in the knowledge that he will one day move out and have his own family. We're certainly not looking at him and thinking "Wow, he's over the hill!" ;-)

Your messages on other posts contradict you completely. You say you were trying to "talk yourself out of it" or "on the fence" but the messages you have put on other posts are NOT that at all. You clearly come across as someone who really doesn't know what she wants - except that she wants a baby. I don't want you to feel that what you want is wrong in my eyes, because it truly isn't. I wanted it, and I know how hard that feeling tugs at you, but it is WORTH the wait. One day you might meet the man of your dreams, and you just don't know how important it might be to have HIS child. I even now, want another but KNOW that if me and my husband split for any reason, I wouldn't have more. I PERSONALLY (opinion ;-)) want my children to all be from my husband, and I want them to know him and see him ALL the time, whether we're together for the rest of our lives or not. That didn't seem important to me before, but it is now, and you never know HOW important till you go through it.

I'm sure I will probably get shot down for my long ass essay - and I truly don't mean to hurt your feelings, but as someone pointed out, that when you put this up you would have known what you'd get, support and opinions

All of the single mothers who did it, and have a fantastic child/adult to show for it, I take my hat off to you. You're all amazing! But how many of you can honestly say you wouldn't have done it differently, if you had the chance? How many of you would say that you would have CHOSEN to do it this way, if you had a choice?

I wanted that, and only NOW do I realise just how naive I was :(

Of course, when you have this baby, as I'm sure you will, because you seem to have made up your mind (good on you, because it is YOUR life) you will most likely manage to get through all the bad points that everyone has said. You'll probably manage on the money you have, and figure out a way to handle it all on your own, because you'll have to, but I just can't imagine wanting to have a child that way, if I knew I could do it without so much struggle.

When you fall pregnant, I will be the first to congratulate you, and offer you advice, and e-hugs, whether that be in January, or in 2015, but I honestly think that no matter how much you think you've thought this through, you CANNOT prepare yourself for a baby, no matter how much you try, and I certainly did not know how much I would come to depend on my husband, until that little girl was put into my arms. I think you need to tell your parents. You need to let them know what you want to do, so that the ones who WILL be with you, supporting you, helping you, can give their opinions, because mine, and all the others on here, don't matter at all because WE won't be with you.

Nothing any of us say will ever change your mind, but please just make sure you can support a child financially on your own, and not just "scrape by", because if that was all you could do, when you look at that child when you have no money for them to buy something simple, it'll break your heart that you chose that route.
Make sure you're ready to deal with everything emotionally. Yes, your family will probably be a fantastic support system, but unlike most willing fathers, they may just have enough one day and leave you to do it on your own. (I say unlike a willing father, because I know if my husband left, I'd still have family to fall back on. If my fall back was my first option, and they left, I'd be completely alone)
Make sure you have everything planned properly. Sit down with a financial advisor,m or if you have one, citizens advice, and find out your rights, and find out what you have as a fall back for if a disaster happens and you need help for anything (MOST employers won't give you maternity until you've been there a set amount of time)

Good luck with everything you do in your life, and when you are a mummy, whenever that may be, it will be the best, the scariest, the happiest, the hardest and the most natural thing you could ever do. I honestly do hope that everything works out great, that you are happy, fall pregnant next year, have a baby and have a wonderful life! I have no doubt that if you do have a baby soon, your baby will be well loved, wanted and cared for! xx

Aw. If anything you are an inspiration and obviously a WONDERFUL woman. :D

I highley doubt your child will EVER be mad at you for giving them a life. If anything... it would be meaner to have never given them a chance to live at all.

I know I'm sure glad my mom decided to have me, even though she knew she was going to be a single mom soon. I love her to bits, and not mad at her one bit. She gave me a life. Because of the one choice she made. If it wasn't for her I wouldn't be here today.

And if it wasn't for you, that little one would have never been given the chance. If anything, you are a blessing to your soon to be little one's life. :)

Stay strong. Who cares what other people think. It's your life. They'll get over it. :D

Very well said. And if they cant get over it, well then, they need something better to do with their time than rag on others for decisions that dont even include them at all.

There are some women on BnB that seem to get really mean. I had to report a user not that long ago because she laughed at me and said I was moronic for saying I was embarrassed I dont get much ewcm. :shrug: IDK. Anyway, the majority of women are actually very very nice and very very supportive. At least from what I have experienced. In fact, I was surprised some of the ladies got on here and said what they did because, besides that one bitch, everyone has always been nice to me.

There are a few other threads I belong to. And we have a ttc facebook group that is totally secret. None of your friends ever see if you post or what is being posted in the group. Totally invisible except to you. We have never had someone doing AI in there. If that is something you are interested in, PM me your name and I can add you in. :)

PS. the group is called in my shoes. ALL of them are soooo freaking supportive it is unbelievable. Actually, we talked about this thread in there. Lol. AND some of the ladies from there came over here and defended you. NONE of them ragged on you. If you are looking for a really supportive family (and we do actually consider ourselves a family) then let me know! I would love to have you there!

Someone called you moronic for that? Wow. I personally think everyone is entitled to their opinions, but they should be that, OPINIONS. Not attacks on another person. I don't get involved in threads like these, except to wish luck, unless I have been through what the OP has and have a VALID point/opinion to make.

I don't understand why someone said someone called the ladies giving opinions "thick assholes"?

THAT'S uncalled for if it was said, but yes, some ladies can be very nasty with their opinions - after all, we're all here because we habve the same goal, right? x

Can you send me the link to this FB group please?

QUOTE]

Send me your facebook link. I can add you into it. :flower:

xpatchx - how you have come through all you have been through to end up as such a level-headed and clearly lovely person is incredible. You must have such inner strength and I'm sure your daughter and future children will be very proud to call you their mum.

Good luck with your TTC Gxxx

xpatchx - how you have come through all you have been through to end up as such a level-headed and clearly lovely person is incredible. You must have such inner strength and I'm sure your daughter and future children will be very proud to call you their mum.

Good luck with your TTC Gxxx

Thank you - I am only the person I am today BECAUSE of all of the things that have happened in my past. I've cut my mother out of my life after years of abuse, and she's still calling social services trying to accuse me of being a bad mother, but I laugh her off.

That's why I know that even if EVERYONE disagrees with a decision, it doesn't mean it's wrong and not to do it. I just know from experience. I'm not REALLY 21. In my head I've never been a teenager/young adult - even my friends forget my age sometimes. It just goes to show that you're not just a ".... old" - you're as old as your experience.

Just wanted to say Ashliee that you're amazing for standing your ground & defending your decision :hugs: Best of luck to you! :flow:

I came from a very broken home - my mum and dad were together, then not, and my mum was diagnosed schizophrenic and I then went into foster care.

As a child of 10 I was looking after my family's babies, my friends sisters and brothers etc. When I was 12 I was regularly looking after a 1 year old, until I was 15. As in, Friday night to Sunday night.

I was then raped as a 14 year old - by my then boyfriend (I was a virgin at the time, and we hadn't been together long) and I fell pregnant. I found out at 15 weeks. He then found out my friend knew what he had done, and came round my house and confronted me. I was almost 24 weeks when he pushed me over and my daughter lost oxygen and died.

I then got my own flat at 16. I wanted to be a mum so bad! Then at 17 I'd been with my boyfriend for a year (he didn't live with me), and the first thing I thought? "I can come off my pill..."

Every time I was late, I did a pregnancy test, hoping and praying I was pregnant. I mean, I'd been thinking of this for YEARS - it's all I wanted. I had my own home, my own job, I paid for EVERYTHING myself (Even though in the UK, I could have had it all paid for for me as a care leaver)

Me and my boyfriend broke up, and I was devastated. I thought he was the one. I then swore off men and decided I would try to become a single mother.

Then, purely by chance, I invited a guy I worked with over for pizza. He came round to watch a scary movie (he lived round the corner from me) and he stayed the night watching movies. The next day, he kissed me before leaving. My heart felt like it was going to BURST out of my chest.
We got together, and after a month, I told him how I felt, that I wanted a family and that I didn't want to wait till I was 25 etc... (I was 18 when I met him) and he said he doesn't either, but he wanted to become a manager in our workplace, and wanted us to live together first. 6 months later he moved in. We then decided to TTC. On our 1st anniversary I got my sticky positive, after 5 misscarriages. He then came home with a diamond ring and proposed.
I am bi-polar, but controlled on medication. I had nights where she'd e fast asleep, and I'd be on my bathroom floor in tears - not because of bipolar... but because I had this little body that myself and my partner were responsible for. If she hurt herself, we'd be expected to fix it. As a teenager wanting a baby, that sounded like heaven. As a mum to a 3 month old with colic who cried for 5 days with only 1 hour breaks every so often? It was hell. I couldn't fix her. Without my partner, I wouldn't have gotten through it. We ended up not seeing each other because I'd stay up all night with her, and sleep on his days off of work so he had Amelia! My husband works from 6am-8pm, and gets home late, and works 6 days a week, sometimes 7, so I feel like a single mum sometimes, because when he DOES get home, he's tired, but I need those few hours he can take over, because otherwise I'd be dead to the world.

As much as your family is tight nit (so is my in law family) they won't ALWAYS be available to have your child for a few hours, or to be there when you need them RIGHT that second (because unfortunately, when something goes wrong, you have to fix it RIGHT THEN) and I know my in laws were supposed to be a big help - but they have their own lives and we hardly see them.

15 months after she was born, we got married in front of all of our family and friends. I was 21. And now, 3 months after that, we're TTC for our number 2.

So, to conclude - I DO know how you feel. I wanted Jessica more than I could have imagined wanting anything and losing her was heartbreaking. I was 14, and thought that I could handle anything. Now though, I know I couldn't have given her the life I wanted to.

I also look back at the times I thought I could just get pregnant with my boyfriend - and I realise how selfish I was for that. No matter how much I said to those who knew what I wanted "I will love that child, that's enough" and how I had an answer for everything, deep in my heart, I knew I wasn't doing the right thing. Love doesn't feed a child, and it doesn't fix a broken heart when they're being teased at school if someone finds out how they came to be.

NOW I look at my little girl, and my husband. I look at how her face lights up when he walks in the room. I listen to her and him having their "top secret conversations under the quilt" when I'm pretending to be asleep next to them. I watch him bath with her, and her fall asleep on him in the bath. THAT makes it all worth while.

So unfortunately, as someone who has gone through what you are feeling, and wanting, (although a lot of it was a lot younger than you are now, I was almost 19 when I got with my now husband) and failed to get what I wanted, but now have that in a stable marriage, where my partner is providing financially and I own my own business to contribute, I have to say that I cannot agree that you have thought this through.

I was self sufficient from 16 years old, and living in my own 2 bed flat. I was happy, healthy, and comfortable financially and I thought it through and through and through, but now, having had my little girl, I had NO idea. Just looking after a child that isn't yours doesn't compare.
You can ALWAYS give them back. I had to have my nephew whilst my brother went to work EVEN when I was sick as hell - or else my brother would have lost his house. Even that doesn't compare to the responsibility of having my own.

It's not your age, in the slightest, that I think makes you unprepared. I just don't think you realise JUST how hard it is, and that no matter how many twinges in your heart you get making you feel like it all has to be now - it doesn't. There's nothing wrong with wanting to be a single mother - I know how it feels to think "God, I'd rather spend my life on my own!" because men have been more trouble than good, but it's something that needs to be thought through a lot longer, AND as a chosen single mother, you NEED to have a fair amount of money to do so. Savings etc. We made sure that we had £3000 to buy everything we needed for the child, and we make sure that her bank account has a minimum of £200 in it at any one time in case of emergencies, and obviously our money goes on her necessities. You say in previous posts that you don't work, and you've just said you've STARTED a job, so can I assume you don't have much saved for this? I can HONESTLY say that I've used my daughters "put aside" money when things have broken, or I've needed to take a taxi somewhere. It's best to have something behind you. Not EVERYONE does, but if you're choosing to become a parent, a SINGLE parent, you need to have a fall back.

The one thing I think that I REALLY disagree with what you've said, is you saying "I don't want to be an old mum" - uh, sorry, you're 20! You could wait 5 years and do this exact same thing then, and still be young! My brother in law is 25 and still lives at home, is coasting by having his mum cook for him, do his washing and pay for him to have his hair cut - yet we are still completely happy in the knowledge that he will one day move out and have his own family. We're certainly not looking at him and thinking "Wow, he's over the hill!" ;-)

Your messages on other posts contradict you completely. You say you were trying to "talk yourself out of it" or "on the fence" but the messages you have put on other posts are NOT that at all. You clearly come across as someone who really doesn't know what she wants - except that she wants a baby. I don't want you to feel that what you want is wrong in my eyes, because it truly isn't. I wanted it, and I know how hard that feeling tugs at you, but it is WORTH the wait. One day you might meet the man of your dreams, and you just don't know how important it might be to have HIS child. I even now, want another but KNOW that if me and my husband split for any reason, I wouldn't have more. I PERSONALLY (opinion ;-)) want my children to all be from my husband, and I want them to know him and see him ALL the time, whether we're together for the rest of our lives or not. That didn't seem important to me before, but it is now, and you never know HOW important till you go through it.

I'm sure I will probably get shot down for my long ass essay - and I truly don't mean to hurt your feelings, but as someone pointed out, that when you put this up you would have known what you'd get, support and opinions

All of the single mothers who did it, and have a fantastic child/adult to show for it, I take my hat off to you. You're all amazing! But how many of you can honestly say you wouldn't have done it differently, if you had the chance? How many of you would say that you would have CHOSEN to do it this way, if you had a choice?

Of course, when you have this baby, as I'm sure you will, because you seem to have made up your mind (good on you, because it is YOUR life) you will most likely manage to get through all the bad points that everyone has said. You'll probably manage on the money you have, and figure out a way to handle it all on your own, because you'll have to, but I just can't imagine wanting to have a child that way, if I knew I could do it without so much struggle.

When you fall pregnant, I will be the first to congratulate you, and offer you advice, and e-hugs, whether that be in January, or in 2015, but I honestly think that no matter how much you think you've thought this through, you CANNOT prepare yourself for a baby, no matter how much you try, and I certainly did not know how much I would come to depend on my husband, until that little girl was put into my arms. I think you need to tell your parents. You need to let them know what you want to do, so that the ones who WILL be with you, supporting you, helping you, can give their opinions, because mine, and all the others on here, don't matter at all because WE won't be with you.

Nothing any of us say will ever change your mind, but please just make sure you can support a child financially on your own, and not just "scrape by", because if that was all you could do, when you look at that child when you have no money for them to buy something simple, it'll break your heart that you chose that route.
Make sure you're ready to deal with everything emotionally. Yes, your family will probably be a fantastic support system, but unlike most willing fathers, they may just have enough one day and leave you to do it on your own. (I say unlike a willing father, because I know if my husband left, I'd still have family to fall back on. If my fall back was my first option, and they left, I'd be completely alone)
Make sure you have everything planned properly. Sit down with a financial advisor,m or if you have one, citizens advice, and find out your rights, and find out what you have as a fall back for if a disaster happens and you need help for anything (MOST employers won't give you maternity until you've been there a set amount of time)

Good luck with everything you do in your life, and when you are a mummy, whenever that may be, it will be the best, the scariest, the happiest, the hardest and the most natural thing you could ever do. I honestly do hope that everything works out great, that you are happy, fall pregnant next year, have a baby and have a wonderful life! I have no doubt that if you do have a baby soon, your baby will be well loved, wanted and cared for! xx

This is super long, so im going to do my best to touch base on everything mentioned but if i miss something I apologize.
first thing I need to clear up is the most important thing to me, my nephew!
I know that no one here would possibly be able to understand what I have gone through with him, no one here has seen it for the past two years so I dont expect anyone to be able to understand!
But that little boy has lived with me his entire life, except for the past 4 months, since the day he came home from the hospital he was in my care full time, his mother hadnt made a bottle for him, until he was 4 months old, she never once got up with him in the middle of the night, and while she was out galavanting around the city, I was at home with the teething baby who was inconsolable. He was with me the first time he sat, crawled, laughed, stood, walked, and talked. There were time where he would be crying and nothing would sooth him and I would just cry, It has been the most difficult two years of my life, but also the most amazing. I love him more than I have ever loved anything my entire life, when he says " I LOVE AUNTIEEEEEE" my heart melts over and over again, and everything I do I do to improve his life, and make sure he has everything he needs. I know what its like to be a mother. Trust me.
I am fine financially, I have worked since I was 16 and have always been smart about saving, the only reason I dont have a job here anymore is because I quit because I am moving, I do have savings, which I plan to keep right where it is until I have an emergency.
Me having a child now is not going to make things difficult for me, I mean emotionally of COURSE things get difficult!!!! Being a mom is harrrrrd work, but I feel prepared for the emotional rollercoaster that is to come! I just feel prepared for this, its truly the only thing I truly want, The only thing I dream of, the only thing that is constantly on my mind every single minute of every single day. I want this, I want this bad.

Oh, hey, Ashliee, I'm so sorry, I didn't want to upset you. I maybe shouldn't hav used the crazy face, but I think everyone's a little crazy in their own special way - it's what helps make the world such a wonderful place. I really am sorry for upsetting you again and hope you can stride forward with hope and love and success.

:flower:

No its not just you lol, dont worry!

Ok, it has taken me some way to trawl through this thread and I have a few opinions of my own that I would like to share. I 'got caught' when I was 21, and had my DS at 22. I am luckily very close with my family, because FOB only wanted to know if he could be with me. We broke up when I was 6 weeks pregnant, and there was no way I was having that controlling nasty man in life. I spent 5 years as a single mum beating myself up, working to support us both in dead end jobs. Then my mum said I should think about furthering my education. I enrolled on a degree course and spent 4 years with very little social life, as we were scrimping and saving, my son NEVER went without. I graduated this summer, but my life is totally different now. When DS was 7, on one of my few nights out I happened upon the man of my dreams. Until this point DS hadn't met a single man in my life, as I didn't think any of them was worthy. But this time was different and after a lot of coaxing from my OH I eventually introduced them. I am now happily engaged and pregnant with his first child. He loves DS like his own, and I am so relieved I met him. Whilst I may not have gone out of my way to get pregnant at 21, there was nothing but love when I found out, and FOB was little more than the cause of much anxiety. I would never change a thing, it was the hardest thing I have ever had to do, and I am who I am because of DS.
He is clever, well mannered, gentle hearted and eerily picking up traits of OH...very cute. He is the best 9 year old I know! Good luck to you my love, I truely hope you get all your heart desires. As for "statistics" they only EVER prove what the company undertaking them has been paid to prove, so they are not worth anything! Governments lie...but that's a whole other argument!
:hugs:
thank you!

I'm 21 and I have a 2yr old. I got pregnant with someone I didn't know very well..anyway we stopped talking before i knew I was pregnant.. so I did my whole pregnancy alone,plus the last 2 yrs alone...he has never met his father(and probs never will)
being a single a young single mother isn't easy but it is wonderful...I didn't read the whole thread just the 1st post :haha:
but one thing I find very important is having a good support system for me I have my mom..and w/o her I don't think i could be a single mom..
also I heard this before..being singe mother is not hard because you have to deal with the bad things alone its because when something really good happens you have no one to share the excitement with.

Yes it was a long post - I only ever really leave long posts because it's usually something that is worthy of explaining. My want for a child is worth explaining and I know how bad that want is - as I said, I had it.

Why haven't you told your parents of your plans? I take it you're not planning on telling them until it's done?

I'm sure you're gonna do great, but you have to realise that having a child with you for 20 months is not the same thing as having your own. Going through labour, then having to do everything on your own. Post natal depression. Maternal instincts to YOUR child. Suddenly waking up and realising that this child needs you forever and that you HAVE to be there, 100% emotionally and physically. It's not the same as having your nephew with you. Your nephew ISN'T your responsibility. As much as he is very lucky to have had you, you have no legal tie to him. If you couldn't handle it, you could just put your hands up and say "That's it, clear your act up and come care for your son"

Watching your video's, you are definitely more grown up than "being 20" gives the impression of, BUT you, the same as me, are still very young. To do something like this on your own as well as being young, is going to be harder than you can possibly imagine.

I know, I went through it. I love my daughter more than life itself, but I've had some really hard times, and only having my husband to fall back on has saved me from self combusting.

You've also said that you will not always expect to be alone - that someone you fall in love with will have to accept your child as well as you. So if you DO plan on finding a partner one day, why can't you wait and have a child with him? I just don't understand what is so important that you must have one now - knowing that actually, you are happy to find someone to be with one day. As someone said earlier, I'd understand t is you were much older and your chances of settling down were slim, but that's not the case.

ALSO - if your nephew relies on you so much, as you have pointed out many times, will you just stop with him once you have your child? I know that's a tough question and I'm sorry to have to say it, I truly am, but as a single new parent, you won't be able to deal with your nephew and your sisters problems too. It'll be enough of a struggle to deal with normal newborn problems as it is.

I'm sure 90% of single parents would tell you just how damned hard they had it, and how it was a struggle a lot of days to bring their child up with hardly any help, maybe NO breaks, and maybe even financially less stable than two incomes. A lot of us women will moan about our other halves, but honestly, when they do come through, it really does make life so much easier. If my husband didn't have my daughter for an hour each week so I could bathe without worrying she's eating salt - I'd be so unhappy.

I'm sure you've thought of this for a long time. You have said so over and over. Noone can change your mind when it's made up - certainly noone, especially not an internet stranger, could have changed mine.
BUT as someone who has gone through almost identical to you, but even more so because I had the option to do it right there in front of me, I can honestly tell you that I have never been so pleased to have not got what I wanted.

I am not trying to talk you out of it. I'd certainly be upset if you let me change your mind, but I cannot believe for one minute you are prepared for what is to come.

You need to get this "I've looked after my nephew so I know I can do it" thing out of your head, because it's not the same thing. You also need to stop the "It doesn't matter if I'm 20 or 30" because it does matter. People WILL look down on you because of your age. People like online members WILL say you're too young, and you have to deal with that emotionally. Strangers will assume you're some irresponsible teen who just got pregnant for fun (they do to me until I shove my wedding ring in their face). It may not "affect" you that they think that, but it will one day. 20 years old have less experience than 30/40/50/60 year olds. Not necessarily with kids, and it in no way makes them any better parents, but with life they do. I certainly know more than I did 4 years ago, hence why I can say all this with such strong beliefs. I WAS you 4 years ago, mentally.

If you had a partner right now who was willing to have a baby with you, and stay with you and marry you, would you do so?

In summary to my second essay of today - I CANNOT believe that you are ready to expect all of what is to come as a mother, and all of what having your own child entails, compared to looking after your nephew, because NONE of us do. I can't believe everyone had a baby and expected everything that came along with it - because it's new and scary to everyone - just that as a single mother, especially a younger one who will be judged by people, you have to be ready to handle that, and not just assume you know what it will be like. I just wish you all the luck in the world x

This is super long, so im going to do my best to touch base on everything mentioned but if i miss something I apologize.
I know that no one here would possibly be able to understand what I have gone through with him, no one here has seen it for the past two years so I dont expect anyone to be able to understand!
But that little boy has lived with me his entire life, except for the past 4 months, since the day he came home from the hospital he was in my care full time, his mother hadnt made a bottle for him, until he was 4 months old, she never once got up with him in the middle of the night, and while she was out galavanting around the city, I was at home with the teething baby who was inconsolable. He was with me the first time he sat, crawled, laughed, stood, walked, and talked. There were time where he would be crying and nothing would sooth him and I would just cry, It has been the most difficult two years of my life, but also the most amazing. I love him more than I have ever loved anything my entire life, when he says " I LOVE AUNTIEEEEEE" my heart melts over and over again, and everything I do I do to improve his life, and make sure he has everything he needs. I know what its like to be a mother. Trust me.
I am fine financially, I have worked since I was 16 and have always been smart about saving, the only reason I dont have a job here anymore is because I quit because I am moving, I do have savings, which I plan to keep right where it is until I have an emergency.
Me having a child now is not going to make things difficult for me, I mean emotionally of COURSE things get difficult!!!! Being a mom is harrrrrd work, but I feel prepared for the emotional rollercoaster that is to come! I just feel prepared for this, its truly the only thing I truly want, The only thing I dream of, the only thing that is constantly on my mind every single minute of every single day. I want this, I want this bad.

i applaud you for how you have stuck to your guns and stood up for yourself, but i feel like i need to say something here. i wont give my opinion on whether i think you are doing the right thing, because i dont think its needed, or helpful for you to know.

what i will say is, i think its naive to think you know what its like to be a mum before you become one. i know you have looked after your nephew a lot, but there's other things to having a baby rather then look after them all the time. the birth itself, recovery of the birth both emotionally and physically, baby blues and postnatal depression, if you are unfortunate enough to have it. then there is the responsibility of having a child - whether you look after your nephew all the time, you dont have that responsibility to make life changing decisions. the unconditional love that a mum feels for her baby. if everything goes wrong, there's always that safety net there - he's not yours and you have no obligation to carry on caring for him.

then, i think the big one, that moment when it hits you when you get home from the hospital when you realize your life will never be the same again. i will never just be you again, it will be you and baby. its hard to explain, but it feels like you've been winded and it does take a while to get your head around.

i hope i havent offended you

i applaud you for how you have stuck to your guns and stood up for yourself, but i feel like i need to say something here. i wont give my opinion on whether i think you are doing the right thing, because i dont think its needed, or helpful for you to know.

what i will say is, i think its naive to think you know what its like to be a mum before you become one. i know you have looked after your nephew a lot, but there's other things to having a baby rather then look after them all the time. the birth itself, recovery of the birth both emotionally and physically, baby blues and postnatal depression, if you are unfortunate enough to have it. then there is the responsibility of having a child - whether you look after your nephew all the time, you dont have that responsibility to make life changing decisions. the unconditional love that a mum feels for her baby. if everything goes wrong, there's always that safety net there - he's not yours and you have no obligation to carry on caring for him.

then, i think the big one, that moment when it hits you when you get home from the hospital when you realize your life will never be the same again. i will never just be you again, it will be you and baby. its hard to explain, but it feels like you've been winded and it does take a while to get your head around.

i hope i havent offended you

You havent offended me, however.
you are right I have no idea what pregnancy, childbirth and postpartum is like Ive seen people go through these things but never experienced it myself.
But thats not really what determines parenthood, you see, I haven't just been babysitting my nephew, I have been raising him, I have every obligation to carry on caring for him, I made the choice to care for him when no one else did, and I have never in this whole time even considered that I could just stop, I have taken this boy to the hospital with him having seizures, 5 days before christmas, not leaving his side the entire time, and you want to know what his "mother" was doing? about 8 hours after he was admitted she decided to go out of town with her boyfriend, because I had it under control?
Every piece of clothing that boy has, I have worked my butt off to get it for him, The majority of his toys, same thing, The milk he drinks every day? Auntie buys it, the food he eats, yep you guessed it.
Because I have no legal obligation to do the things I do for him, means nothing, You talk about unconditional love for the child, and if you spent an hour with him and I you would see that.
Taking care of a child makes you a babysitter, raising a child makes you a parent, I am the closest thing he has to a parent, and I take major pride in knowing that everything I do for him, is going to turn him into a man worth knowing.
The moment he was born is the single most memorable, important and life changing moment of my entire life, the day he came home, I never dreamed in a million years things would be how they are, I had never even considered it, very quickly without any guidance, knowledge, or warning I was thrown into parenting this little baby, I didnt get 40 weeks to prepare myself like a woman who is the biological mother, I didnt know anything about babys, not a thing, but you should know that I learned awfully quick!
I think it is very fair of me to say I know exactly what it is like to be a mother. To be a mother the hard way.
Having my own child will be a freaking walk in the park (not literally) compared to what I have gone through with Jase!!! But you know one thing I know forsure? If someone were to offer me millions of dollars to change any of it, I wouldnt do it, I cherish everything to do with him, the good times and the bad times, I love him as though I carried him for 40 weeks in my belly, and have birth to him, I love him in ways that are impossible to give words to. anywayyyyyyyys lol this turned into a big long rant, so im sorry lmao

where in canada are you from? (sorry not to be nosy im just wondering what college daycare is free based on marks I have nothing heard that before)

(im a college student in canada and my child is in my college daycare )

where in canada are you from? (sorry not to be nosy im just wondering what college daycare is free based on marks I have nothing heard that before)

(im a college student in canada and my child is in my college daycare )

Im in saskatchewan

Ashliee have you thought of trying to adopt him? It seems like, from what you say, that the mother doesn't care that much. Just wondering if that was an option for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->