Small dog breed easy to train

belleanna

Reaction score
I would like to get a small dog that's easy to train. We are trying for a bag ATM so we would like a dog that's good with small children. I am thinking of maybe a chihuahua or a miniature poodle.

Whats the best small dog breed?

I had a miniature Pomeranian for 12 years but we had to put her down last year. She was the best little dog. Always wanting to please us and loved being a lap dog. She would even sleep by my head in bed if I'd let her get away with it. She was quick to potty train although I made the mistake of pee pee pad training first and she thought any small rug was a pee pee pad after that. :dohh: completely my fault though. We just had to stop using decorative rugs. :haha:

She was around well before my oldest daughter and was absolutely in love with her from the start. Same goes with my second daughter. I'm extremely sad this newest addition won't know her.

I would totally get another Pom some day if the timing is right. For now we have cats and a bigger mixed dog so we have enough. :D

Awww sounds adorable. I'm thinking about getting a miniature poodle

Awww sounds adorable. I'm thinking about getting a miniature poodle

Personally, I'd suggest going to a shelter and finding a small dog that suits you. There are plenty of dogs that need homes that aren't a specific "breed", just because a dog is a specific breed does not mean it comes with the desired breed specific behaviors (although some behaviors are more likely of course). Hope you find one that works for you!

Pugs are hardy little dogs that do well with children. They are less fragile than some other breeds too so a little more wash and wear.

Chis are kind of hit or miss I think. They can either be real nervous and snappish or very sweet. You just have to get the right breeder who breeds for solid temperament.

I agree with Misspriss.

The easiest dogs I've owned, both for training and health-wise, have been cross-breeds. I've got a couple of farm dogs (goodness knows what's in them) and my mum has a couple of pedigrees. My dogs are far more healthy than her pedigrees. I would never get a pedigree.

Pugs are fantastic really solid little dogs, mine was great with the girls and easy to train.

If you don't mind something a bit bigger but still on the smaller side cocker-poos are lovely my mum has one and he is the nicest natures dog I've ever met.

You could try a shih tzu. The nanny has one and he's the best friend of DD2. She was afraid of dogs when she first met him and now they are inseparable. He has never been aggressive even when DD2 gets a bit rough and he loves to play. DD2 is 3 but the nanny also takes care of babies.

It seems to me that there is more of a stereotype than something real. Everything depends not on the size, but rather on the breed and the original purpose of the species

It seems to me that there is more of a stereotype than something real. Everything depends not on the size, but rather on the breed and the original purpose of the species

The last reply on this post is over a year ago. It is not an active topic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->