Smash Cake...?

xluciex

Reaction score
Has anyone done this for LO's first birthday? My LO will be 1 on 2nd sept & I'm really Interested in doing this, it looks amazing!! We can't afford to have it done professionally so would need ideas on how I could do this on a budget at home? Would love to know if anyone has done this & how you created the perfect backdrop at home and if you made or bought your cake?x

I did a smash cake. Fortunately, my bakery gives a free one when you buy the 1st bday cake from them. Baby wasn't interested in it though. I had to put her hands in it and then she just took them out and sat there LOL

I think they'd be easy to make if you wanted to. Here's a pic of her cake and smash cake...we just did a small family party.

Attachments

• bday cake.jpg
    bday cake.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 25
  • smash.jpg
    smash.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 24
We had one! I loved it :)
We had a friend make the cake for us. The photoshoot cost us £45 but we had a disc with 170 pictures on, and we had pictures of him in other outfits and different back drops too. I imagine all you really need is a plain backdrop at home. Maybe a bed sheet? And a big balloon or two in the background?

Here's a couple of pictures from Rio's. X

https://i855.photobucket.com/albums/ab117/kirstybumx3/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps37c31a5c.jpg

https://i855.photobucket.com/albums/ab117/kirstybumx3/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsf3a8a9e1.jpg

We had one! I loved it :)
We had a friend make the cake for us. The photoshoot cost us £45 but we had a disc with 170 pictures on, and we had pictures of him in other outfits and different back drops too. I imagine all you really need is a plain backdrop at home. Maybe a bed sheet? And a big balloon or two in the background?

Here's a couple of pictures from Rio's. X

https://i855.photobucket.com/albums/ab117/kirstybumx3/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps37c31a5c.jpg

https://i855.photobucket.com/albums/ab117/kirstybumx3/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsf3a8a9e1.jpg

awww, so cute! That bowtie is adorable.

We have one planned for October when our LO turns one. I am so excited!! We are having a local bakery make a "giant cupcake" smash cake (I'm not making my own bc he is CMPI and this bakery specializes in dairy free cakes!). We are paying a professional photographer but I bet it would be easy to set up at home like pp said...a sheet as backdrop, some balloons, cake and a diaper on and you'd be set! And maybe some other cute props next to LO or in the background like favorite stuffed animals or toys.

I'm a photographer and I've done many of these...they are so much fun :)

For cheap backdrops you could use fabric or even wrapping paper. With the fabric you could get a couple thumb tacks to put it on the wall...or even use tape for the paper. Get some balloons and a cake, sit back and snap away while LO goes to town :) Be sure to get some detail shots of those hands (and even feet!!!) covered in cake.

I use a small mom daughter bakery to get my cakes for smashing and they only charge me $25.

A small little cake would be easy enough to do, as for the background rolls of wrapping paper works great

We're not doing a photoshoot, just a smash cake.

There'll be lots of pictures and video during, but we're not setting anything up for it.

I'm baking the cake(s) for LO's birthday. Actually, I baked them Saturday. They'll be decorated the afternoon before her birthday.

Yes, we did it with both boys for their 1 yr birthday. You can get wrapping paper, or a plastic table cloth to tape to the wall and floor to set baby on with the cake. There's an example of what I mean in this link:

https://www.itsalwaysautumn.com/2013/06/10/20-fantastic-diy-photography-backdrops-backgrounds.html

I bought a smash cake at our local grocery store's bakery. I just set it him down on the wrapping paper backdrop, and let him go to town with the cake. DS1 was pretty hesitant with it, didn't like it on his hands, etc, so it his weren't very many pictures of him eating it. But he did smile with the cake and balloons in the background, so it was still cute. DS2 really went to town on the cake and had it all over himself, lol. It may help to do a practice run a week before, or so, just to show your lo that its okay to smash up the cake, and that it tastes good, lol!

Thanks for all your replies!!

Kirstybumx3 your LO is so gorgeous, I love that first picture!

Thank you jd83 for the link, that's really helpful.

Krissykat, when using wrapping paper as the back drop what would you use on the floor for LO to sit on?

Brz good luck on your cake smash, you sound as excited as me haha!

I'm based in London and have looked into having it professionally done but the cheapest is £199! So I have looked into buying some seamless paper of ebay for £8ish and thinking to bunch up a few blue/white balloons for the side and get some streamers for the back drop.
I wish I had of planned this properly and gone to a bakery for the cake, but in my area there is such a long waiting list I would not be able to get one made for next week :-(
I have a giant cupcake mould that I have not used yet so will give it ago and if it doesn't turn out well, will have to do Betty Crocker jobby lol or a quick trip to m&s.
I'm so busy in the lead up to LO birthday so I only have Wednesday and next Monday to get this figured!

image.jpg

Thinking streamers for hanging down the white seamless & this is the style of cake I love love love!!

I think that will look fab! I made a giant cupcake a couple of months ago for the first time and it was really easy, the icing wasn't amazing but it was ok if you didn't look too closely :D
Can't wait to see some pics of your little guy with his cake!

If you have an asda or tesco near you they sell giant cupcake birthday cakes if making one doesn't go to plan

https://m.groceries.asda.com/#item/910001368444

https://m.tesco.com/h5/groceries/r/www.tesco.com/groceries/product/details/?id=274738382

I have just baked the cupcake tonight, it was really straight forward pinklizzy! The top part slightly stuck to the mould so has broken slightly but suppose with a thicker layer of icing on the top it won't be to noticeable...I put blue food colouring in the mixture..(whole tube) but didn't go blue so we have a turquoise inside lol! Going to ice tomorrow eeeek!! Hope it looks ok!

I seen a chocolate cupcake in tescos wannabe mommy...if it wasn't chocolate I would have got it (don't want the pics to look like he's got dirty brown face lol) They did have a vanilla one but it's got pink bits on top grrr!

image.jpg

Fingers crossed it turns out ok!

Have now Decided to go with a balloon background instead if seamless paper!

Finished cake :thumbup: although not perfect, looks good enough to smash up!

image.jpg

We have one planned for October when our LO turns one. I am so excited!! We are having a local bakery make a "giant cupcake" smash cake (I'm not making my own bc he is CMPI and this bakery specializes in dairy free cakes!). We are paying a professional photographer but I bet it would be easy to set up at home like pp said...a sheet as backdrop, some balloons, cake and a diaper on and you'd be set! And maybe some other cute props next to LO or in the background like favorite stuffed animals or toys.

I had one for my lo in June. He also has cmpi. I got a bakery to make a dairy free giant cupcake for £20. I got a Disney Mickey backdrop from party pieces and used a similar Mickey table/play mat from poundland. Had a blue foil 1 balloon on one end and a bear foil balloon on the other end.

I must say he wasn't too interested in the cake, he just had a pick at it and that was all.*I cheated by dipping his hands in it and he smeared it on his face which made for good pictures.
The advantage of doing it yourself is you can reschedule if your lo isn't cooperating. It took us 2 days to get it done (cake was good for 48 hours) as lo kept running off once we sat him in front of the cake.

lucie that looks amazing!! Love yours too Crystal, I can't wait to do this next year :haha:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hadleyfai
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->