• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Soap in the Mouth....

So, I read the entire thread :dohh:

One: Comparing soap in the mouth to oral rape is just baffling. I've worked with rape victims. It is NOT the same.

Two: Yes, soap in the mouth in the UK can be classed as abuse. Will SS take your kid for doing it once? Nope, probably not. Over the long term? Yeah, there will most likely be some action.

Three: I (as in me) would not do it. I didn't have it done to me and it doesn't solve anything really. There are better ways to discipline your children.

Four: Why would people say they had it done to them and are okay, but wouldn't do it to their children? What's the point of defending your parents' practices to the high heavens? My parents did a lot of things I don't agree with. Were they bad parents? Hell no. Were they guided by antiquated practices? Yeah, most likely.

You are going to be :sleep: catching up :haha:

Can I make a suggestion that those who are fighting for 'child advocacy' and are so rightly concerned with child abuse are very probably wasting large amounts of their time and helping 0 children at all by demonising other mums on a baby forum. Mums who are taking part in the forum because they interested in talking about their children.

Children who are being abused don't tend to have mums who like to spend their spare time discussing parenting with other mums.

I'm sure there are better, more effective ways of supporting 'child advocacy' in real world, where children are actually being abused.

Just a thought, will get off my soapbox now sorry!

Can I make a suggestion that those who are fighting for 'child advocacy' and are so rightly concerned with child abuse are very probably wasting large amounts of their time and helping 0 children at all by demonising other mums on a baby forum. Mums who are taking part in the forum because they interested in talking about their children.

Children who are being abused don't tend to have mums who like to spend their spare time discussing parenting with other mums.

I'm sure there are better, more effective ways of supporting 'child advocacy' in real world, where children are actually being abused.

I am not fighting for anything, it's a debate forum.

I am just as entitled to say I don't agree with the practice as others are to say they do agree.

Arguably we could all get off the Internet and go try save some abused children, but for the purposes of the for and against soap in the mouth debate, that idea holds no weight. It's just a debate, that is all

I do. I volunteer and work with child victims :thumbup: However, it's Sunday so I can't volunteer today :)

I am not fighting for anything

Then I'm not talking about you :shrug:

Please, don't get off, stay on! :thumbup:

Who the hell in this thread said they agreed with it :shrug::shrug: we only said some of our parents did it to us, but we would never do it to our kids............:wacko: Did anyone say they agreed with it???????? I must be dumb I guess. caused I missed where anyone said they agreed with it :-(

No one said they agreed to it however people are getting offended at others disagreeing with it and arguing over the abuse word.

I wont comment on the abuse issue. All I know is it was done to me , but would never and did never do it to my kids.

I won't be using 'soap' to clean my childs mouth out.

I hope that i can treat my children with the respect that they deserve and explain to them why they shouldn't say/use those words.

I want them to respect me, not be scared and only do as I ask through fear.

I don't think its right to belittle and humiliate yr child in that way. Or any way. They R individuals that deserve ad much respect as an adult

I wouldn't do it. I'm not bothered if anyone else does. It's not abusive, to say it is trivialises actual child abuse. Why does it always seem so difficult for parents to accept there is more than one way to raise a child?

I wouldn't do it. I'm not bothered if anyone else does. It's not abusive, to say it is trivialises actual child abuse. Why does it always seem so difficult for parents to accept there is more than one way to raise a child?

Over a period of time and used constantly, yes, soap in the mouth would be classed as abuse.

An honest question:

Do people still use this method regularly? Debate aside, it seems like an archaic form of discipline. Form what I've seen, it lost it's popularity years ago. Is the situation different in other areas that I'm not aware of?

I've not heard of anyone using it anymore aside from a few child abuse case studies where it was done daily and constantly. So I don't think it's used much anymore.

Daily? Poor kid. I can count on both hands how many times I got it over the years. Eesh. :nope:

Over a period of time and used constantly, yes, soap in the mouth would be classed as abuse.

Along with other things. It may be an indication of a pattern of abuse, but is not necessarily, in itself abuse.

My sister when she was younger was quite possibly the worst behaved child ever!! She had soap in the mouth quite a few times it didnt make a difference what so ever... She still swore in general and even swore at my parents on occasions.

Isabelle would probably enjoy it I caught her eating a bar of soap yesterday... She would think it was a treat:dohh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
raisingbisho
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->