something to bare in mind

itsnowmyturn

Reaction score
Well I didn't know whether to post this or not as it can stir some high emotions in some peopl but if it helps raise awareness to people who have never heard of it like me then its all for the good.

I was following a little boy on facebook who sadly in Feb this year passed away due to a cancer. He had had his life saved once before by having a stem cell transplant (i think it was that). Anyhow this boys parents have taught me how these transplants are done, basically all us ladies need to do is donate the blood from the umbilical cord and it goes to a cord bank to be used on anyone all over the world to give them a chance to beat that horrible big C!!

I know not all hospitals do it but its worth asking, if it doesn't get donated it simply gets thrown away with clinical waste. I don't know how it works in the US but I no it does happen over there because that's where the little boy got his donation from.

Anyway I just wanted to raise a bit of awareness for it and if even just one person donated their cord from this and potentially saves someone's life or gives them a few more years with their family then this post will be worthwhile

Great post! I'm a huge fan of giving blood etc. Such a small effort on the part of one person can mean life and death for another :flower:

Thanks. I think this is even easier because ur not giving anything really, ur cord and placenta are coming out regardless so why not just let them use it for this. I no some religions are against it and I completely respect that. I for one would rather travel to a hospital slightly further away that has a cord bank than go to one near me that doesn't. So many young people could have their whole life ahead of them with just one cord.

If u want to no more search cords4life, its little Charlies legacy that his parents set up

Brilliant post! I have amateur knowledge on stem cells and there donation but as an RN I recognise the fact that these vital building blocks of life are clinically discarded. Well done to you for highlighting it!!

Yeah, for the same reasons I'm pretty happy for people to use any part of my body should I die and leave them in good order. If I'm not using them someone else might as well! I'll definitely look into cord donation when I'm pregnant.

Thank you for posting this!!! It is tragic that the words "stem cell" have become so controversial, because this is way different than what most picture picture. Stem cells can save someone's life, and it is such a very small, easy thing you can do! This is no different than donating blood, only baby doesn't feel any needle stick, and it can make such a tremendous impact on a family's life <3

For the US: when I was admitted to the hospital they just asked me if I wanted to donate mine. I spoke to one of their representatives who explained how it all works, then I signed paperwork acknowledging my consent. After the birth they packaged it up after the OB made sure everything was normal, and that was it. So glad I could potentially help someone else out from the birth of my daughter! It was free since I agreed for it to go to the public bank, and the only thing I had to do (besides pushing Evelyn out) was just sign my name! Definitely recommend it to others who are interested. :)

This is something I've always wanted to do when we have our baby!
Thanks for reminding me - I'm gonna research and see if our hospital offers it! Xx

It's amazing how it slips ur mind really, it wasn't until cords4life posted on facebook yesterday that it reminded me.

U ladies r amazing and thank u for sharing ur story on how easy it is to do it. I did wonder whether the US would have to pay extra for it as u guys seem to have to pay for pretty much everything lol

:( seems like i wont be able to do it through our nhs hospital. But i'll ask (when i get lucky!) if theres any other way i can donate!

I used to give blood as often as they'd let me, but I can't any more for health reasons, so if I can, I will definitely donate cord blood. It's such a good idea, and the stem cells have so many uses. Does anyone know if you can still donate cord blood if you do delayed cord clamping? Will there be enough left? Obviously I'd like my LO to get the full benefit of their own blood too! I know the placenta is basically full of blood regardless, so maybe there would be enough left?

When I had mia they asked me if I'd Like to donate the placenta which of course I did.to know that that placenta not only nourished your baby but is also helping save another is amazing. Definatly worth asking the hospital if they do it.

There are several different websites that's tell u where u can donate, they all have different hospitals on because there are more and more joining so different ones update at different times.

I'm lucky enough to have a hospital near me and two near to where I want to move to that do it so I fully intend to donate mine.

It's always worth asking ur midwife they may no the nearest xx

That's a really great reminder. Thanks for the heads-up. I will try to remember to ask my hospital about it when the time comes!

I'm on the organ donor list and would definitely do this. Can't give blood because I pass out and fit each time.....stupid body.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->