Sore/painful stretching. Time off work.

kariss

Reaction score
Hi all,
When i got up to use the bathroom last night I had a sharp stretching pain in my right side it was quite painful but I thought if I go back to bed and rest it should be ok by this morning.
When I woke this morning it's still there when walking around although not as sharp or as painful but more un comfy
and does just feel like my muscles are stretching and pulling.

Anyway I was due to go to work today - I work 13 hour shifts where majority of it is spent on my feet walking/running around. So I rang in explained that I didn't want to be on my feet etc when it's sore to walk.

What would you have done? Is it unreasonable to take time off for what feels like such a silly reason? After a previous loss I'm just terrified I'll do more damage than good and obviously do not want to risk harming my baby.
Last week I worked stupid shifts (days and nights after one another and mixed) and on my last shift I was so uncomfy - with so much pressure down below it even hurt to sit down. I've also had what I think is a slight chest infection accompanied by a cough which I don't think has helped with the pulling etc..as it hurts down there when coughing.

Anyway I think my body is just telling me to rest! And I need some reassurance as I already had some time off due to MS :cry:
X

if working is going to make it worse you shouldnt work rest i myself have really bad spd i do 8 hrs shifts on my feet went to work last tuesday was crying with every step called docs after work and was signed off rest of week due back tomoz dreading it

I had the same dilemma too and in the end I had to stay away from work. I understand how you're feeling, you don't want to feel like you're slouching off work or loading off more duties on your co-workers, but in the end there are simply some things you can't control. I used to feel guilty about complaining about my shifts and heavy duties too and in the end I ended up doing risky stuff that my OB got angry about. In the end, though, I decided that work is not as important as making sure your LO arrives safe and unharmed. I obviously can't speak for your situation, since I can't know the details, but my advice is not to be afraid to ask for extra consideration due to your pregnancy. You will find that others are more understanding than you think.

ThAnks both..

Quantea, that's exactly how im feeling I was always one of these people who is like pregnancy is not an illness and wanted to just get on and continue to do my job like I have previously. I'm someone who does tend to just get on and not say anything even when I'm struggling and I don't want to put myself in a situation where I am too doing something risky or basically killing myself just to go to work lol.
Thanks again

I'd follow your Dr's advice and it sounds like you definitely should rest. As much as it sucks, I do see pregnancy as a temporary disability for a lot of us. Fact is, for a few months we simply can't work exactly like before and accomodations need to be made - it is what it is! We are still strong women who take our work seriously, we just have a little bit more going on in our lives than JUST work.

Be safe!!

I would have phoned in to, listen to your body- if it's telling you to rest- do it

My back has been so bad the last few days, and along with constant aches in my ligaments and legs it's keeping me up at night
I've gone home early a couple of times lately- I'm really not bothered what work think, mine and baby's health is more important

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->