SPD/PGP Support thread

Caroline

Proud Mum of 4
Reaction score
Thought I'd start this thread for support for all of us suffering, for those who aren't sure & have to ask questions, & general info.

I will add to this as time goes on.

I suffered from this quite badly last pg, and found it hard to cope, mainly for fear of how will it affect birth, how it progresses etc, so that it maybe helpful for us all to share experiences. Also what helps, what to avoid etc. & symptoms gor those unsure if they have it or not.

Symtoms vary but can include:

Clicking of hips
Pain in lower back region
Pain on/around pubic bone area
Pain in hips
Ache/ pain radiating down inner thighs

Difficulty rolling over in bed.
Pain when laying on back

Pain often worse on walking or if sitting in one position for too long.

Things to help:
Keep knees together getting in & out of car. Be lady like!
Sit down when getting dressed/ undressed.
When going upstairs go up one stair @ a time.
If u already have a small child or toddler don't carry them on your hip.
Pelvic floor exercises & lots of them.

If u think u have symptoms of spd go see GP for referal to physio for diagnosis & treatment/ management. The sooner you are seen the better.

I have now been on crutches since seeing the physio last week which has helped enormously , but you really do have to know your limitations & stick to them (easier said than done believe me!).

If anyone has any q's or would like to add then please feel free.

Must add it doesn't stop u having a normal birth but you must ensure you don't spread legs too far or give birth with feet on mw/partners hips as this can cause the pelvis bone to split & cause complications.

hi i have this was diagnosed few weeks ago, now on crutches and have a wheel chair for my bad days, i have been told i should be able to have a normal birth, just hope so !! i've got it a lot worse this pregnancy and a lot sooner than last time.

I was hoping there would be a page on here somewhere for this.

I've not had it before but I have several of the symptoms and have suspected it for a while.I have pain up my inner thighs and around my hip bone. I have pressure on my pubic bone, I can't sit for too long and when I have been sitting I have trouble getting up and walking afterwards.

I always thought my pelvic floor muscles were quite good although not as good as previous, but I can still happilly tighten them in three or four stages (kinda starting at urethra and going up if that makes sense?) I can still stop my urine cimpletly if I need to although I know this is not good for you so don't worry I don't make a habbit of it. How does this help if it's all around the hips etc?

Also I suspect I've got it because it's so close to my last baby and so y ligaments didn't have time to recover. So can I stop it getting worse or is it destined too regarldess of excercises (I mean I know you have to do them) I'm worried cos this year I'm doing a course and as it is pushed for time and having to do it a bit qucker than most cos it finishes after baby due, and I'm concerned it'll stop my progress as I have to go on placement at a school.

I do have a seven and a half month old as you can see, I don't hold her on my hip too often but I know I do.

Anyway am so glad you popped this up,will def be keeping an eye out. thank you

After reading what people have been told by there physio, how to sit and do stuff... it wasnt helping me at all.
Iv just stuck to doing what id normally do, the pain is alot less for some reason.

mummy0704, I've had it a lot earlier this time too, mine didn't kick in bad last time till 26 weeks.

They've not suggested me a wheelchair yet. Could sure have done with it on Sunday tho. They were talking of hiring one last time plus a walking frame.

Fx'd for a normal birth for us. I think i'm looking @ induction again @ 37 weeks if things don't improve.

Shiningstar it sounds like you have the early signs. Go & see u r gp for physio referal, they can give you support belts to try & stop things getting worse. I think the pelvis floor exs help to keep pelvis stabilised. Ikwym tho 'cos mine is pretty good, but my spd isn't.
Although pain is in hip area it is actually the pelvic bones that are misaligned/ ligaments too relaxed.

If you get to see physio hopefully they can do somethnig to try & stop it getting worse.

Can you believe the hassle I had I went to one doctor told him the problem all he said was do you want a sick note, (they seem to try and give me a sick n ote everytime I'm in there!) I said no a referral to physio, he said see the other doc he does refferrals so I had to speak to the other doc at another app in the eve and then when I did speak to him the doc had never heard of SPD and said I cldn't have physio whilst pregnant and wait until after I'd had the baby!

DER!

So when I saw consultant yesterday she said I have to ask my mw for a refferal and if she can't do it then I have to wait until after my 20 week scan and book an app with consultant and then ask for a referral is it is still not been done. It' a right palava! It's ridiculous!

Thats ridiculous hun. My consultant is excellent it helps I think his wife had it during pg too. Unfortunately he works 3 weeks then someone else works 3 weeks so I'm hoping if I have to see someone else they are as helpful. If not I'm gonna kick off big time.

My GP referred me both times to physio no probs. When conslutant to get physio referral, my mw said it had to be done by the GP. different areas must be different.

Hope u get something sorted soon.

Hi,

I suspect I may have SPD too. It came on suddenly this week at 34 weeks. Fortunately I had my 34 week hospital appointment and mentioned it to the doctor who has referred me to a Physiotherapist. I have my doubts that I'll get any help as it's quite late in the day, but I'd take any help available at the minute!

I don't have all the symptoms listed, but a fair few:-

Constant ache/throbbing in pelvic/groin region and deep betwen my legs. Radiates to myback when sitting.

Excruciating pain when getting up to walk after periods of sitting. Have to hold onto furniture to straighten up and actually lean on the furniture to move around. Worse if I stand on one leg for any reason, then I get a severe shooting pain all the way down my leg, which is so bad I cry out.

Waddling and bent double like an old lady. Standing up straight seems to make it worse.

A feeling like someone is trying to prise my pubic bone apart.

I haven't attempted stairs yet as I live in a bungalow, so can't comment on that.

Sleeping is no problem as I sleep propped completely upright on my back and never need to turn on my side during the night. Infact, being on my back in bed is the only time I get relief (sounds bad...Ooooh er!)

This is my third pregnancy and the first time I have experienced this. I was very fit and active before conceiving this time, so all this pain has come as a bit of a shock and is quite depressing as my activities are now restricted! Even if the nesting instinct kicks in soon, there's not much I'll be able to do about it, unless I can direct someone else to clean whilst I sit in my armchair!

Sorry to whinge, it's great to have found this thread as sometimes it's as much therapy to vent, rather than popping a paracetamol as suggested by the doctor.

XXX

Just saying hello :flower:

My midwife referred me to a physiotherapist who diagnosed SPD just beore I was 23 weeks. The physiotherapist was great who went through a few exercises to do and how to sit, stand etc.

xx

thanks for this Caroline...
I too have SPD and currently going through some appts. I had a referral to a consultant last week who barely touched on what I can do to help, even though I know what i should and shouldnt do via here, but he has referred me for a growth scan which I have tomorro and a follow up appt on the weds (day after) the MW also gave me a tubi grip which stayed on for about 2 hours and was promptly ripped off again early hours of the morning because I found myself in too much pain.
I have actually also turfed hubby out of the bed so that I can roll over than try to twist on the one spot to turn over. it has helped a great deal until i get the odd time when i cant move until my back painfully clicks.
I will let you know how i get on tomorro xxxx

Hey back again, well both consultant and doc at hosp have said it's spd, so have app wth mw on 11 dec then will have to wait for referral, I've been given co-drydamol, but I'm also suffering with tnederness at the front of my womb.

Oh never rains but it's pours aye! I'm in agony and my left side is worse.But the pain at top of thighs is awful and across my back.

hope all are well. xx

thanks for this thread hun

I think I might be showing early signs of this too as I have pain/stiffness in my pubic region that radiates down my inner thighs

I feel tender down below as though ive been riding a bike and the seat has bruised me a bit

it gets worse if I walk further than normal but is also bad whenever I stand up after sitting in the same position for a while, I also have difficulty standing up straight as im so stiff. my back clicked quite loudly last week and I couldnt move for a while as I was in so much pain :( and my hips ache quite a lot too.

I mentioned this to my MW last week but she didnt seem concerned and just told me to try to keep mobile & get gentle exercise :( xx

Nicky it certainly sounds like early spd.

I was given a tubigrip last time,but I turned one down this time as it drove me nuts last time.

I have a serola SI belt which helps the most (well apart from the crutches).

To those who struggle in bed, try wearing silky pyjama botooms, they often help.

I find it soo frustrating not being able to do stuff. I can't bear having the kids sat on my knee the pain is unbearable, which is heartbreaking. I tried to put the shopping away & was in agony after ,had to sit for ages with a heat pack to try & ease it.

Seeing physio tomorrow so will see what she has to say.
I try & potter @ home a little without crutches but then I pay for it with pain in hips, down legs, pubic bone. I feel so helpless.

Shining star I was given co-codamol last time I was pg & I only took it if I was past myslef with pain cos it made me feel really spaced out & it also made baby sleepy.

I'm pretty certain I'm gonna end up being induced @ 37 weeks unless I end up with a different consultant who won't do it.

My OH is a star tho. Don't know how I'd manage without him. Had to change dd days @ preschool as I normally take her on a Monday but struggling now & OH doesn't want to take her & leave me home alone 'cos he's worried about leaving me in case I fall on stairs.

Take care girls. Hoping everyones pain isn't too bad. Look after yourselves. Will report back on any useful advice from physio.

Ive had this with most of them. Even now i can feel my pelvis crunching when i move ouch! x

It's co-drdamol think it's bit is a bit different to co-codamol, but co-codamol doesn't affect me at all, we were having this disussion at school my friend is on co-codamol and feeling compleltly soaced out and sleepy, but it just doesn't affect me.

I'm having a lot of trouble but my df doesn't seem to understand my needs this time round h's no where near as helpful supportive or understanding, but then we have alot on and he's worrying over other things.

I'd like to join you girls ;) I have very bad SPD for the third time now, and in fact it never went away after I had my younger daughter. I still used crutches every once in a while after giving birth, if I cleaned or did anything hard on my hips. When I was pregnant with her I was in bed for 3-4 months, could only barely manage to go to the bathroom and kitchen and back to bed :haha: I'm pretty much the same now, 28 weeks and all I do is sit in my recliner all day, studying. Thankfully most of my classes are offered as distance learning so I don't have to attend class (I could never sit for longer than 10 minutes there with the pain). If I do anything, like visit my parents, walk through the store etc I need painkillers or can't walk at all afterwards. I know it's only gonna get worse but I'm mentally prepared for it and I knew it would be horrible this time. I'm NOT having more kids, that for sure ;)

The thing that helps me the most, besides my crutches is this:

https://www.oo.is/resources/thumbnails/annad/smavara/snuningslak_315_235.jpg

It's a special sheet I put over my regular one. It's like a tube really, slippery on the inside so it helps me turn in bed at night. I would have gone mental already if I didn't have it. Last time I was pregnant I had a huge maternity pillow and that really helped but I sold it since I wasn't gonna have more kids :dohh: I can't get them over here and they cost a fortune if I order them online since our currency crashed.

I also recommend physio and pregnancy swim classes if you have those. The physical therapists can really help you and teach you how it's best to move around, get out of the car and tell you what movements you shouldn't do at all, like hoovering, sweeping and all that.

Thankfully my OH is wonderful and takes care of all the housework, cooking and our 2 girls. I could never do this without him since I'm pretty much disabled.

Big :hugs: to everyone suffering with SPD.

Phexia I was thinking about aquanatal classes, but am worreid about getting in & out the pool, I struggle with stairs as it is.

I tried a gym ball @ physio this morning which was really comfortable & I also showed me a couple of stretcing exs that I can do that are easy, don't stress my pelvis but will help strengthen the muscles. Now looking wheres best to get one.

I really do have to give in & let OH do everything & she agreed & said just 'cos I've crutches doesn't mean I can do more (of course i'm not:blush:).

i'd read in the info that if you've had spd & have quick deliveries/big babies thne you are at greater risk of the pelvic bone splitting. So I asked about this as I do have quick deliveries. She said it will be something I have to discuss with consultant & mw as I may need section (not what I wanted to hear).

Last time I was so worried & nervous about the birth Iwas hoping they would give me a section, having delivered normally last time, I know I can do it & really don't want a section if I can help it.

I guess only time will tell.

Take it easy girls, hope u aren't suffering too much this evening.

Phexia I was thinking about aquanatal classes, but am worreid about getting in & out the pool, I struggle with stairs as it is.

I tried a gym ball @ physio this morning which was really comfortable & I also showed me a couple of stretcing exs that I can do that are easy, don't stress my pelvis but will help strengthen the muscles. Now looking wheres best to get one.

I really do have to give in & let OH do everything & she agreed & said just 'cos I've crutches doesn't mean I can do more (of course i'm not:blush:).

i'd read in the info that if you've had spd & have quick deliveries/big babies thne you are at greater risk of the pelvic bone splitting. So I asked about this as I do have quick deliveries. She said it will be something I have to discuss with consultant & mw as I may need section (not what I wanted to hear).

Last time I was so worried & nervous about the birth Iwas hoping they would give me a section, having delivered normally last time, I know I can do it & really don't want a section if I can help it.

I guess only time will tell.

Take it easy girls, hope u aren't suffering too much this evening.

I think the chances of that happening are very small. I know women over here are definitely NOT encouraged to have a section because of SPD and a big baby or quick deliveries.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->