SPD/PGP Support thread

oh Phexia. :hugs: may I ask ...are u sleeping on your own? or is ur OH in the same bed as you?? I found I slept better once hubby was turfed out. Im sorry you have to resort to sleeping tablets tho. xxxx :hugs: I hope it gives you plenty of rest and relief?

My OH sleeps in the same bed, but the bed is massive and there are two mattresses so he doesn't disturb me thankfully :) I just wake up because of the pain and if I have to move in bed I cry for like 3 minutes before I can sleep again :( I don't think I get any deep sleep at all. I have fibromyalgia so sleep is very important to me :)

yeah my band really helps! but its uncomfy i dont like waring it too much, at 23 weeks i seen the dr and asked him for stronger pain killers and they said no paracetamol was all i could have, but gave me ibroufen gel to rub! which doesnt really help, any way the MW seems too think that if i go back now with my belt n crutches and im still in more pain they should give me somthing a little stronger!

yeah my band really helps! but its uncomfy i dont like waring it too much, at 23 weeks i seen the dr and asked him for stronger pain killers and they said no paracetamol was all i could have, but gave me ibroufen gel to rub! which doesnt really help, any way the MW seems too think that if i go back now with my belt n crutches and im still in more pain they should give me somthing a little stronger!

That's crazy, I know lots of women, myself included, that get co-codamol (or I think that's what you call it, it's paracetamol mixed with a bit of codeine) for pain in pregnancy. I got it for severe never-ending headaches but I know many who got it for SPD. I mean come ooooon, paracetamol, you might as well eat m&m's.

Plus, ibuprofen rub doesn't sound right. I asked at a pharmacy if I could use it and they said no.

goes to show every where different.
my SIL who is due to drop any time now, she over due, suffered really bad with headaches and was told that as long as it wasnt all the time she could take nurofen to help. :shrug:
liking the paracetemol compariosn to m&ms I wouldnt have said that. I would have said water lol. :rofl:

I really regret saying that, because now I have a craving for m&m's :haha:

:rofl: m&ms yummmmmm
Anyway yeah the ibroufen gel i was told i can use it but not too much...oh thats usefull for me then! idiots
When i was pregnant with charlie i sufferd with back pain, nothing compared too the pain i get now but i was given Codine and then i was given tramadol! aparently not good too take in pregnancy! but i had no idea the dr gave me them said it was ok! now im plodding along popping 8 m&m's a day haha

:rofl: @ the M&M's... Id have said M&M's are actually more useful than Paracetamol TBH :rofl: xx

Hey folkes, Emx I told you a bout these guys over here.

I'm still waiting for a referral to physio infact am abt tophone the mw and see what she says.

I've been in agony today and my cramps are back across my tummy (the ones the docs didn't know what was causing them apart from a possible start of mc.) I'm not sure it's related to the spd or not?

Anyhow, i too am terrified about becoming completly immobile seeing as having alot of troubl already and have 30+ weeks to go yet. I should be getting an induction anyway, but someone had said you have to give birth on your side, i'm not sure how this is as effective with pushes? Anyone who has had birth with spd did you have to give birth on your side? I am so busy and trying to cmplete a course before I have his baby and it involves alot of physical stuff at a school and am so worried i won't be able to finish it.

My pregnancy woth Olivia was so easy and I managed to do everything the same righ to the end, I really don't want to end up on crutches.

hey shinning :hugs: i think u can do it normlly? only u have to have some restriction on how far apart your legs are....ya know there are so many diff stories going round i dont know whats what. I dont even think the consultant knew. :dohh:
again I think its all down to different people diff places etc etc.

I want some M&M minis :) one of those lil tubes of them, the whole lot in one go lol

goes to show every where different.
my SIL who is due to drop any time now, she over due, suffered really bad with headaches and was told that as long as it wasnt all the time she could take nurofen to help. :shrug:
liking the paracetemol compariosn to m&ms I wouldnt have said that. I would have said water lol. :rofl:

My consultant said I can take Ibuprofen too but TBH I dont dare as everywhere else says not to in pregnancy & I'm terrified of harming the baby. He said to take it for a few days to break the pain cycle & it would be ok as I'm in 3rd Tri but I'd rather struggle with the pain & know that baby is ok than risk hurting her.
PS I too have had to kick hubby out into the spare bed so I can turn over in the night without too much pain.

My consultant said I can take Ibuprofen too but TBH I dont dare as everywhere else says not to in pregnancy & I'm terrified of harming the baby. He said to take it for a few days to break the pain cycle & it would be ok as I'm in 3rd Tri but I'd rather struggle with the pain & know that baby is ok than risk hurting her.
PS I too have had to kick hubby out into the spare bed so I can turn over in the night without too much pain.

It's so annoying, getting different information everywhere. If I read the label on my ibuprofen it says to NOT take it in the last few months of pregnancy :dohh: I'd kill for an ibuprofen sometimes when all my muscles are aching.

It's so annoying, getting different information everywhere. If I read the label on my ibuprofen it says to NOT take it in the last few months of pregnancy :dohh: I'd kill for an ibuprofen sometimes when all my muscles are aching.

I know, its so annoying. The only thing I'm daring to take is paracetamol because everyone seems to agree that its safe. The consultant obsetrician said I could take ibuprofen but also said not to tell the consultant traumatologist that he'd said I could take it!!!! So God knows what's safe & what's not.

Thanks Shiningstar - I couldnt find my thread in Second Tri to find out who it was had recommended this thread x

In terms of the tummy cramps - that is what made me mention it to the midwife and she suggested SPD because of them - when I said I had leg and back pain as well it sort of confirmed it in her eyes (and mine now I have read into it a bit more)

I was unsure about the tummy pain too - as I see a Consultant about kidney problems in the past... I am being monitored closely for recurring Kidney Infections/UTIs and the pain is much the same as them... even though my urine has been showing clear for a few weeks now. I have been told already that I cant give birth at the midwife led centre - so also face a 20 mile trip to the hospital when it all kicks off!! We have been going quite a bit recently though, so OH has had plenty of practice!

As for sleeping arrangements - I have found it impossibe to sleep in the same bed as my OH for a while now - hence the reason we have brought a bigger and better bed (the other bed is in the nursery has to go soon anyway). I am really hoping it makes a difference to the pain... the cramps are the worst, especially when baby kicks me down there..

I was queuing up at the bank the other day and got a kick in the sore area of my tummy - I said 'OOOOOOO' really loudly and clutched my tummy - I think people thought I was going into premature labour, whereas I was more concerned about weeing myself!!

Hey,

Well I saw mw yesterday, she says cramps all part of spd as the pain is like a tight elastic band across my tummy which comes and goes she said a mixture of thrid baby, spd and being so close to my last has all added to it being more painful.

I've been referred and mw told me they would fit me with a support band around my waist. We''ll see when the time comes.

As for ibuprofen the reasons you can't take it in early preg and lat preg is due ot it thinning the blood. So obvs hey don't want it taken in ep as it could in thoery help a mc, and they say not in last few minutes in case you bleed during labour, due to blood beng thinner you'dobvs loose more and potentially it'dbe more dangerous.

I'mbaclk to work on monday well tues as I'm swapping my days around. So hold this otgether for a while yet!

Thought I'd pop onto this thread and say hi, though I'm not sure I've officially got PGP/SPD. The term hasn't been used, but I'm being referred for physio, which I suppose they wouldn't do if they just thought it was regular pregnancy backache? :shrug:

I've just come for a bit of a moan really. :( Have been feeling very sorry for myself over the last couple of days, but feeling psychologically more positive yesterday evening and today, though still physically like crap. My pain is mainly in my left buttock and sometimes my hip and can be excruciating at times. :cry: I had it less severely on and off earlier in the pregnancy, but it wasn't this bad and cleared up after two or three days, but now it just seems to be getting worse if anything, which scares me. I hope my physio appt comes through quickly.

I've also had hyperemesis, and although I'm a lot better now than I have been in that respect, I still have sickness and vomiting, and am feeling really quite crappy in that regard today. I had about two weeks in the middle of 2nd tri when my sickness wasn't too bad, this pain hadn't really set in and I felt pretty good. Aside from that, physically this pregnancy has been a bit of an endurance test. I love our little boy so much, and I'm so so happy to be carrying him and that he seems to be thriving. I just wish the actual experience of pregnancy wasn't so miserable. :nope:

Thanks for letting me vent. :hugs: I hope you're all getting through the day in not too much pain. :flower:

Sorry girls been AWOL for a couple of days, had a few stinking headaches & spd been quite bad too.

As far as pain relief goes, I was ok'd co-codamol last time by my GP & consultant, but I did find they made me spaced out & baby very sleepy.

I am gonna try acupuncture once mw gets it sorted, but I can't have it done b4 20 weeks.

You can give birth normally ,I did last time & delivered semi sitting, although that was 'cos it was a bit of a rush. Was getting constant contractions, hips hurt & was only 5cm, so demanded epi, anaesthetist had just got thing in for i/v fluid when lo deciced she was gonna make an appeaence, so I had to be helped/ hoisted up onto bed by OH & mw to deliver. B4 labour you need to see how far you can open legs & ensure your birthing partner is aware of this too so they can ensure you do not open legs any further. Also if u need stitching they have to be careful putting your legs up.

As far as induction goes Zara I was referred by my mw last time to dee my consultant @ 34 weeks, who said he'd review me @ 37 weeks with a view to inducing me. Which he did the following day after my 37 wk appt.

This time round mw referred me to consultant @ booking appt & I saw him @ 14 weeks. I have to see him again @ 34 weeks to see how I am, with a view to induction again @ 37 weeks if I'm in the same state as I was last time & unless I get better then I will as I'm in a similar state now & I'm only 18 weeks :cry:.

I often find a heat pack works well too.

I find it incredibly frustrating as I can barely do anything @ home. I can't even get my own socks on. My poor OH has to look after 3 kids plus me.

Hope you girls aren't in too much pain.

Phexia I hope u get some sleep soon.
:hugs::kiss: girls.

As for ibuprofen the reasons you can't take it in early preg and lat preg is due ot it thinning the blood. So obvs hey don't want it taken in ep as it could in thoery help a mc, and they say not in last few minutes in case you bleed during labour, due to blood beng thinner you'dobvs loose more and potentially it'dbe more dangerous.

That's wrong, I'm afraid. :flower: (I think I'm starting to get SPD and thought I'd read the thread....would love to be able to take some ibuprofen. Great thread! :thumbup:) Ibuprofen isn't an anticoagulant (blood thinner), it's a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory. It works on pain by blocking signals of inflammation that cause the pain.

The reason you can't take ibuprofen is because it's been shown to close up a part of the fetus' circulation (ductus arteriosis and or foramen ovale) that needs to be open whilst in utero (it has to do with the lungs not being fully perfused in utero due to not needing to breathe air then). These "holes" naturally close up in the days following birth with most babies due to the change in pressures because the baby is now breathing air. In some babies they may remain open and can be heard as a "murmur". If they don't close on their own, we can give the baby ibuprofen to help close it. However, it would be dangerous for these to be closed before birth due to the differences in fetal and newborn circulation. Hope that makes sense!

As for giving birth on your side, I've read this should be alright if it suits you. Lying on your back isn't normal anyway, as it sort of forces you to push into the bed when you want to be pushing out towards your vulva. That's why squatting is sometimes recommended, as it works with gravity. But I don't think I could manage squatting myself.

Off to see the Physio today, will let you know how I get on, she might give me some handy tips I can pass on to you all :) x

Yeah I realise it's an anti inflammatory but t's also the same family as aspirin. I'm just going on what gp told me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ashhmichelle
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->