SPD/PGP Support thread

Hello

Can I join you ladies? I had SPD with when pregnant with Holly who is now 16 months. I started noticing the pain at around 24/25 weeks if I remember rightly and it gradually got worse. I don't think it was very bad until around 30 weeks or so and then I finally got physio at 35 weeks, at which point they said it was a bit late! I had her at 38 weeks and it went immediately after the birth.

I'm now pregnant with my second and I started noticing the grinding pain quite early on, around 14 weeks and it was quite sore by 17 weeks. I mentioned it to the midwife when I saw her at 17 weeks and she sort of shrugged it off and said she would refer me for physio if it was still bad at my next appointment in 10 weeks time! Anyway over the next 2 weeks it got progressively worse and sitting in my chair at work became excruciating! I work 5 evenings at week 6-10pm and have an hour commute each way and look after Holly all day before work. I was really starting to struggle and wondering how on earth it was so bad already! One day 2 weeks ago, I got stuck on the stairs holding Holly. I just couldn't go any further and had to shout for my DH (who was thankfully home!) to come and help. I went to see my GP to signed me off work for 4 weeks and referred me for physio. I'm still waiting for the appointment so not sure how long it will take! I can't believe how painful it is already at 21 weeks. My leg keeps going from under me and I fall, is this happening to anyone else? I'm really struggling to get out of bed for a wee in the night and up in the morning and I'm having to wake up my DH to help me.

Work weren't very happy that I was signed off as I had to also take some time off due to bad morning sickness, but I don't know what I meant to do! There's no way I can sit in my chair at work and I don't think I could even make it there on the bus and train, I'm just in too much pain. I've decided to take my maternity leave at 29 weeks and I'm not sure if I'll end up going back between now and then, I guess it'll depend whether the physio gives me enough relief to go back. I've been feeling really guilty about work though! My contract is fixed term and ends whilst I am on maternity leave, so it doesn't really matter about taking my maternity leave early, as I wouldn't have been going back anyway.

Anyway, I'm waffling now! Look forward to talking to all you ladies. I find it quite isolating as I can't get out and about as much as I normally do. Normally we're at toddler groups and soft play on most days but now I'm struggling. I feel really bad for Holly as she's getting bored :(

x

Thank you all for your responses, I realise that technically i "Can" have a vaginal birth but after number 1 and having this so badly I'm just terrified.

I have researched and found that some women who have been forced into a natural labour with SPD (now known as PGP) have been given epidurals and because they can't feel it anymore their legs get opened too wide during delivery (only takes one second of a midwife taking hold of a knee!) and they have done massive pelvic damage.

I'm still waiting for my consultant apointment to come through and my own MW has been off since week 12 after having major surgery herself so ive been seeing a different stand in MW each appointment. Mine is due back in time for my 28 week bloods next wednesday so fingers crossed she gives me some support.

The last two days have seen this PGP progress massivley. I had been able to sleep before now but not anymore, I am spending my days and ngihts just willing the time to pass and crying until I run out of steam. I can feel myself spiralling into depression and really need more day to day support but its not an option at the moment unless I move across the country to get my aged mother to care for me which is not really an option.

Grrr, sorry to moan, sometimes it helps to get things of your chest!

I have researched and found that some women who have been forced into a natural labour with SPD (now known as PGP) have been given epidurals and because they can't feel it anymore their legs get opened too wide during delivery (only takes one second of a midwife taking hold of a knee!) and they have done massive pelvic damage.

My physio took a measurement of how far I can open my knees, this will be in my notes and I am making sure my husband is very vocal during the birth. I.e. If the Doctor changes shifts, he needs to tell the new one in case they don't read the notes properly. I am also tempted to get a massive sticker that says SPD and stick it on the front page of my notes!

Another tip was to tie a piece of ribbon round your knees, showing how far your legs can be opened. It'll get in the way of them forcing you into a bad position.

SPD is so freaking depressing. I am trying to finish my uni dissertation before the baby comes, but cannot get into a comfortable position to study and the pain wears me out. I spend about 90% of my time stuck in the house. If I want to go out for the day I have to plan 2/3 days of rest afterwards because I know i'll be in way too much pain to do anything. It really is isolating and miserable. I can't imagine what it must be like to have a permanent disability like this, how the hell do people cope?

How early can SDP/PGP start. I'm getting pains in my lower back when I do certain things like sitting straight up, bending and opening my legs (tmi discovered this while having sex, ouch). It's worse then it was a week ago. It's getting to the point it's affecting my job(lots of ladders, stretching, bending). But I'm only 12 weeks on Wednesday. Is it too early and it's something else? I won't see my midwife for a few weeks.

Well im preganant again and hoping I dont end up back here with SPD/PGP but preparing for that and already starting to make sure im being careful about things

I remember u had a lot of grief with this before. If its any help I ended up on crutches for the last three weeks of my first pregnancy but with my last pregnancy I took things real easy, went on mat leave ASAP, yoga daily and did all my physio exercises ritually and although I got twinges if spd around 20 weeks I was fine this time and still doing really well with my yoga upto 38 weeks. Hope it's the same for u this time round too x

Mine is 100 times worse this pregnancy than last - to the point I'm in tears by bedtime and struggle to lift my daughter from her nap to the sofa to her high chair etc (and don't even THINK of going out to the car to put her in her car seat). This is at 26/27 weeks so a long way to go as well.

im trying to take it easy, keep up the mobility and not stress the joints but with 3 very active little boys i can foresee this being a challenge

Wow Congrats again lynnikins - very brave of you! I would love another but am so scared of the spd again (and possibly worse) Did you do anything in preperation for ttc?

xxx

Wow Congrats again lynnikins - very brave of you! I would love another but am so scared of the spd again (and possibly worse) Did you do anything in preperation for ttc?

xxx

Thanks hun. I have always been fortunate that after ds2/3 the spd left within a week of birth and with keeping up the exercise that i managed to stablize the pgp, i got the odd twinge with my AF but otherwise stayed painfree. My pelvis is feeling much more stable this time and with ds3 it didnt get as bad as with ds2 because i was more informed and better about limiting myself to what kept me going without pushing it

Hi ladies,

I've been very lucky and only suffered very mild pelvic/leg pain with both my boys, and only really SI joint pain really. However, during labour with Eddy I endured the worst pain in my life coming from my pelvis, and I've noticed pains coming from my hips and legs already this pregnancy.

Can someone tell me, when could SPD/PGP start and how does it start for you ladies? I started to get SI pain about 3 weeks ago. It's not bad enough to restrict movement yet and with my other 2 I've never had mobility problems, but these pains feel different. It's like a burning sensation in my hips, I can't move it as far (mainly in my left hip) and going up and down the stairs I have to shift my weight quickly to my right of hold on to the banister to take weight off my legs and hips.

I'm only 11ish weeks (could be up to 13 but dates aren't accurate yet as I've not had my scan yet). Could this be the start of something more sinister/painful?

Sounds like a physiology app is in order and a support belt. My spy and SI pains started very early with number 2&3 and getting some SI pain now. And im not even 6 weeks. Even if it isn't forcing you to modify your motion then i would start anyway so that touched don't strain anything there's a long way to go and with proper management then it doesn't have to get any worse

Mine starts with my hips just not feeling right - best way I can think of to describe them. The one that's never fully recovered from them manhandling me in the birth of number 1 goes stiff and slightly uncomfortable first, then the other, and then the pain moves to being the more stereotypical booted repeatedly in the crotch type pain within a few weeks of that starting. Thought I'd staved off the worst of it this time - it niggled about the same point in time toward the end of the first trimester, but stayed just as a niggle... then suddenly racked up to apocalyptic levels just as I was feeling comfortable about it - now it's worse at 27 weeks than it was by the time I delivered at 33 weeks now.

Hi everyone. I'm 20 weeks pregnant and have had spd since about 14 weeks.

I've seen the physio twice, I've been given some exercises - pelvic floor, little squats - and today got crutches. They didn't want to give me them as i'm fairly early on for spd and they said if it gets worse they won't have anything to help me. but I managed to persuade them, i've been told to only use them on the days I work - on my feet for 4 hours, plus a 2.5mile walk, and if it's really bad. However I got back to the car and slipped on ice which has really aggravated it! so I used them this afternoon and they do help a bit.

I'm trying really hard not to let it get to me but it's hard to stay positive when your in agony!

I've seen the physio twice, I've been given some exercises - pelvic floor, little squats - and today got crutches. They didn't want to give me them as i'm fairly early on for spd and they said if it gets worse they won't have anything to help me. but I managed to persuade them, i've been told to only use them on the days I work - on my feet for 4 hours, plus a 2.5mile walk, and if it's really bad. However I got back to the car and slipped on ice which has really aggravated it! so I used them this afternoon and they do help a bit.

I'm trying really hard not to let it get to me but it's hard to stay positive when your in agony!

I LOVE this logic - oh we've got this that will help a bit - but if we help you with it now, we won't be able to give them to you to help you with it later! Choose when you suffer!

FFS - if MEN got this blooming problem - if men had to feel like they'd been repeatedly kicked in the nether-regions and in agony whenever they moved - there'd be awareness campaigns, there'd be a bad charity single, and there'd probably be an entire month-long campaign going (Crotch-tober anyone?)... but cos it's pregnancy related - it's a suck it up and suffer situation!

I LOVE this logic - oh we've got this that will help a bit - but if we help you with it now, we won't be able to give them to you to help you with it later! Choose when you suffer!

FFS - if MEN got this blooming problem - if men had to feel like they'd been repeatedly kicked in the nether-regions and in agony whenever they moved - there'd be awareness campaigns, there'd be a bad charity single, and there'd probably be an entire month-long campaign going (Crotch-tober anyone?)... but cos it's pregnancy related - it's a suck it up and suffer situation!

:haha: so true. So many people just think oh well deal with it!

And i know I thought it was weird, surely I need them when I need them it doesn't matter how many weeks along I am:dohh:

***IM HOPING YOU GUYS STILL READ THIS THREAD...***
HERE ARE POSTS I ASKED IN A FACEBOOK GROUP AND IM HOPING FOR ADVICE/INSIGHT/ETC.,!? Im COPYING AND PASTING MY 2 OR 3 QUESTIONS HERE:

First post in group with most info:
*Thank you for accepting me to this group.. Here is a question I asked in a high risk group but nobody really provided much help unfortunately. I forgot to add to this that when I turn from one side to the other in bed... my lower back literally cracks or i dont know what it is but I can actually hear it some mornings! Its painful all as hell not to mention barely being able to walk when I wakeup for atleast an hour or so and just wanting to sit because my lower back pain especially is ridiculous! I am going to call my OBGYN tomorrow morning and tell them I NEED something stronger than tylenol for the pain - it doesn't even touch it and I know this isn't something I should just continue to suffer to... I didn't feel comfortable talking to my OB about it at my last appointment which really upset me he seemed to dismiss my pain as round ligament, etc., and I didn't push the issue though i really wish I would have!***

Original Post in other group:

Have any of you asked your OB for pain medication for back pain (mostly directly related to pregnancy) on an as needed basis? I have told my OB since 13 weeks my back pain comes and goes - some days it is completely bearable, and some days it literally hurts to walk. I have been pregnant 3 years in a row... now I'm 21 weeks pregnant with twins and I mentioned my back pain at my last appointment and I honestly feel like it was kind of dismissed. I am not the addict type - I have a 16 month old baby and I'm a stay at home Mom so not carrying her is not optional at times (she is mommys girl).

Every single time I get on the bed and off the bed, it is severe pain no matter what in my lower back - every time I have to turn from one side to another in bed, the back pain is severe. That's short term enough that I can take it. What I can't take though is when it "flares up"? Or when I pull a muscle and I literally can't walk. On those days, I would like to be able to take a stronger pain killer on an as needed basis. Tylenol literally doesn't touch the pain when it's painful enough that I'd want to be able to take something stronger... I use a heating pad on it alot and it helps but again - the days when it's BAD - it is BADDD.

Are there any options for me? How do I discuss this with my OBGYN? I am not in pain at the moment but even if I have to sweep my floors or mop my floors, I can't even sweep the first room without the severe pain starting and I basically try to avoid doing the cleaning that I need to do because I know the pain will start. Some days it isnt so predictable and the pain literally comes out of nowhere. 2 or 3 nights ago, my fiance and I went to Walmart when my parents were babysitting and I think it was my bra that may have caused it due to my boobs growing ridiculously fast lol but my right shoulder was SO painful and I definitely could have taken a pain pill and had ALOT of relief. It was gone the next day thank God but tylenol didn't help at all and I had to take unisom to sleep that night.

There was an entire day and night 2-3 weeks ago that i think I may have pulled a muscle on my left side... it HURT to lay on my left side to get my daughter to sleep (Thats our routine and she never sleeps without mommy putting her to sleep lol of course) but it was soooo painful... I also wonder if anyone has had this - when I would lift my left leg - at all - the hip area felt like something was almost being pulled out of the socket. The heating pad and the 2 or 3 extra strength tylenol did NOTHING. I called the on call OB around 7 because I was worried it was a placental abruption or something worrisome and he basically said since I was 19 weeks they couldn't save the babies anyways (AS IF that's the only concern with an abruption cause I lost my son to an abruption at 33 weeks after a small fall on my butt/lower back on 9/10/16 so I always worry when I have back pain now - it was a silent abruption.. no bleeding :/ but I felt he was rude to say theres nothing he could do considering MY life should mean something too?? Right?) I actually called the on-call line back around 9:15/9:30 and I told the answering service I was in alot of pain and I was hoping he could call something in for me since it wasn't going away and I realized I would be screwed if my parents couldn't take off work the next day to help with my baby... I called again after waiting over an hour and I asked for a call back which I never got! I probably shoulda just drove to the ER but it hurt so bad I didn't want to drive and that's rare for me lol. The next day by the Grace of God I wokeup and it wasn't completely better, but WAYYY better than it was and I could function so I never followed up with them or asked for anything for the pain because I then didn't need it.

Any suggestions?

I was looking online and I think it could be pelvic girdle something or whatever that is called? I also know from a car crash in 2011 (I review all my own records lol even just for fun maybe I'm a freak hahah), one of my legs is very very slightly longer than the other - they never told me I found out from reading the report but something showed on MRI. It didn't bother the hell out of me until I got pregnant with my son, which was ok til I got bigger in 3rd trimester. Then when I got pregnant with my daughter, the back pain started much earlier (I lost my son 9/10/16 at 33 weeks and I delivered my daughter 10/9/17 at 38 weeks so I was pregnant within 3 months of delivering my babyboy). Now, approx. a year after having my babygirl, I became pregnant mid october and the back pain started before 8 weeks but I figured it was normal. When I realized I'm pregnant with twins at 6 weeks though, an immediate fear was the back pain I was going to feel THIS time lol because if it was that bad with one baby both times, I knew I'd be living in hell with 2 babies on my back and I was right!

Is this pelvic girdle? Is there a specific doctor I should go to see to help me with this? I know it sounds stupid but I have read people say go to an ortho or something nooo a CHIROPRACTOR! And I won't do that because it actually scares me.. I worry that theyd hurt my babies and nothing is worth that to me - even if I literally have to suffer through random painful days every now and then!

IM SORRY ITS SO LONG BUT I NEED HELP AND THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR ANY AND ALL ADVICE, INSIGHT, ETC.,

2nd Post in group:
So.. I went to the physical therapist appointment today. She had me on my back and was touching my pelvis or pelvic bone in front... She started to move my one knee/leg towards me and I screamed in pain - the pain was felt immediately in my lower back! Is this Symphis Pubis or something else??

She told me I DO need a pain management specialist and that shes going to tell my OB there really is nothing she can do for me...

My pelvis is "misaligned"... anyone else?? Is this SPD?

CAN ANY OF YOU LADIES HELP ME?! MY OB SAID BEFORE THE PT APPOINTMENT THAT SHE FEELS "UNCOMFORTABLE PRESCRIBING NARCOTICS TO A PREGNANT WOMAN" BUT IM 22 WEEKS WITH TWINS AND A 17 MONTH OLD - STAY AT HOME MOM - I CANT KEEP SUFFERING LIKE THIS PLZ HELP!?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->