SPD/PGP Support thread

A while back I posted that chiropractic helped a lot with my SPD... well, it stopped working now that I have full blown PGP. My hips are sooo loose that the joint at the back of my pelvis makes a clicking noise when I shift my weight or squeeze my knees together. The pain is worse in the morning, or after long (1hr or more) periods of sitting or laying down.

I tried some physiotherapy, and that doesn't seem to help much either. Applying heat helps relieve the soreness/stiffness, but the clicking joint issue is always present.

if you can manage hot showers or baths should help ease the PGP i get DH to hold a hot water bottle to the back of my pelvis in bed or use the stick on heat packs on the back of my pelvis to ease it so i can move,
sadly its my SPD thats killing me more atm

Hi,

I have bene having a look through this thread and it's been really helpful getting other peoples tips on how to deal with SPD- so i'm really glad this thread was done.

I have just been diagnosed with SPD in the last few days as i ended up going to the hospital with a horrible achy pain in my pelvic area that wouldn't ease and was constant for hours on end- not even paracetomol helped that much. In the end it took nearly 24 hours to ease up.

Anyway they checked me over and checked on the baby and everything was absolutely fine with the baby- it was just me that the pain was affecting. Anyway after two hours of being checked over the doctor tells me she strongly suspects SPD due to it being my pelvic area being tender and painful and she had checked with the registra and they agreed too.

So after speaking with my midwife yesterday she suspects that i had overdone it from moving equipment at work that same day during the morning and bending under desks etc...(Part of my job) and explained i can't do that anymore and that i have to take it easy else it will flare up again, so here i am reading up as much as i can about it in the hoep i don't get that horrible pain again :-(

Welcome Jacky! It sounds like you're getting help which is good. It's soooo tempting to overdo it sometimes. When I have a 'good' day and the pain is minimal, I just want to go round doing housework and organising things, but of course that just causes me awful pain the next day. I hope your work are sympathetic and find you something else to do!

Welcome Jacky! It sounds like you're getting help which is good. It's soooo tempting to overdo it sometimes. When I have a 'good' day and the pain is minimal, I just want to go round doing housework and organising things, but of course that just causes me awful pain the next day. I hope your work are sympathetic and find you something else to do!

Thank you :)

Yes work have been really good and are very good on the health and safety side of things, luckily i have plenty of other stuff to do in my job that i can sit down for but you end up realising just how much you do thats manual when you are unable to do it :-/ Also people at work who i support (As i work in IT) are being really good about it and will move any equipment i need moving when i ask :)

So far todays been a good day but now i know to take it easy and what the pain is at least i can manage it better!

Hello ladies,

I've been up all night with pain and just want to cry. I had SPD with my first pregnancy and thought I had gotten away with it this time... I feel like I've been kicked in the lady bits and my pubic bone really hurts. Doesn't help that I have recently developed varicose veins on my lady bits too :-(

Going back to work as a reception class teacher next week and not sure how I'm going to cope as currently struggle to be on my feet for more than half hour... Oh forgot to mention I already have fibromyalgia! Last time I was on crutches with the SPD; I so don't want to do it again...

have you got a support belt, Id make your boss aware of the situation so perhaps they can get a teacher aide in to help a bit with things

looks like im back too!!!!! hello everyone.
last couple of days ive had barbie legs (remember the real old barbies that had elastic bands holding there legs together???!!!)
gonna get a docs appointment next week and see if i can be referred to a chiropracter. do not know how im gonna get thru the rest of my pregnancy when i feel this bad already!!! luckily ive only got just over a month left at work but not sure ill make that.

has anyone else been feeling REALLY tired with the SPD??? im assuming its either just general pregnancy tiredness (altho i dont remember being tired in the 2nd tri last pregnancy) or that as my body is struggling with the lose joints and extra weight its making me more tired. i dont recall spd making me so tired last time tho!

the tiredness is because you have a toddler as well as being pregnant hun

Looks like I am back too:cry:

I knew I would be but I was hoping it wouldn't flare up till week 28 or more ( same as last time) but I have been getting that familiar ach which tends to worsen as I get tired.
Bending is also starting to be a challange.. never mind getting off the floor:dohh:
I have a almost 2 yr old DD who is busy so I am scared how I am going to cope and keep up with her.. I also do part time daycare from my home.
I know I suffered something ferice last time ( clicking pelvic bone, sore hips, ect) it got so bad I could barely get into bed or out of a chair without help.
I have heard it gets worst with each pregnancy. Is that true ?

Looks like I am back too:cry:

I knew I would be but I was hoping it wouldn't flare up till week 28 or more ( same as last time) but I have been getting that familiar ach which tends to worsen as I get tired.
Bending is also starting to be a challange.. never mind getting off the floor:dohh:
I have a almost 2 yr old DD who is busy so I am scared how I am going to cope and keep up with her.. I also do part time daycare from my home.
I know I suffered something ferice last time ( clicking pelvic bone, sore hips, ect) it got so bad I could barely get into bed or out of a chair without help.
I have heard it gets worst with each pregnancy. Is that true ?

I had it bad with ds2 and with ds3 it wasnt half as bad, perhaps caus i was better at managing it and starting doing the right things to keep it stable earlier on but it was really only bad the last month with AJ and that was down to having to do the nursery run with ds1 all the time with ds2 in the stroller

Did anyone else have a transverse breech baby at this stage? My midwife mentioned that it might be making my pelvis more unstable, as the baby's weight isn't evenly distributed. Would it help to have the baby in the correct position? If so, any tips to get this lazy boy to turn?

I'm worried about the next few weeks because I'm going to have to drag myself to London 2 days a week up til my due date. Dreading it, as right now I can manage about half an hour walking per day before the pain REALLY kicks in. Part of me just wants to give birth right now. I can deal with the labour, just sick of the constant aching!

try the spinning babies website for tips on turning baby

I am more prepared this time. I bought a well fitted pregnancy belt that was prescibed by the phiso theripst in my last pregnancy. Plus, I have tried to excersize and keep my weight gain in check... all in hopes id lessen the pain I experinced last time.

Hi,

I am new to this site and have joined mainly for info and support for my PGP. Im 27 weeks and have suffered since week 14, im told that's early. I use crutches, a pelvic support belt and a wheelchair for going out, not that I leave the house very often. I have risers on my toilets and a chair to help me in and out of the bath or shower.

My biggest thing is fear of labour, im on so many pain killers just to function right now and as I gain weight its getting worse. I had a 37 hour labour with my daughter 16 years ago which ended in forceps and obviously stirrups. I can't open my legs more than 8cm or so without being in excruciating pain and am terrified that they will make me have a vaginal birth when I know I won't have the strength to push and risk damaging my pelvis even more.
Anyone else had this issue? do they give the option of a section? I know some won't agree with opting for a section but I am seriously panicing. Right now I can't go to the bathroom properly let alone deliver a child!

any advice will be awesome as I am extremely scared :(

Tangynasha, nobody can force you to have a vaginal birth. You can have an elective C-Section on the NHS if you want one. My consultant was very open to the idea, as I'm having a big first baby, and like you cannot open my legs very far. When is your next appointment? Spend some time reading up on the procedure, the risks, recovery etc so that when you see your midwife/consultant you are well informed.

I am not surprised that you're traumatised from your last birth. It sounds horrific! Be sure to mention the psychological issues that giving birth has caused you. Most health professionals will be very sympathetic when it comes to your mental wellbeing.

As for people being judgemental, just try to ignore them. The media, and certain horrible people, like to portray women who have c-sections as being 'too posh to push' or not wanting to cope with the pain. It's incredibly unhelpful and misguided.

you dont need to open your legs to have a vaginal birth hun if you choose to lay on your side for birth as i did with ds2 you only need about 3-4 inches movment between your knees for this but your birthing partners need to be aware of it.
pain doesnt always go away right away following birth it can be a few days /weeks esp if you have it bad in pregnancy so consider your recovery too , thankfully one of the benifits of the new c-sec rules is that you just need a consultant to sign off to get a c-sec so it never hurts to ask

My midwife applied pressure to my pelvic bone while I pushed ( felt like heaven) so maybe that is also an option.
There are so many positions you can give birth in.. do what feels best for you:hugs:

Anyone struggle to lift your legs to climb stairs for getting into a bath tub ? I on't remember it being that bad last time.. the belt help a little but anything that requires me to lift my foot far off the ground is brutal.

I just wanted to pop on and give a little bit of advice on requestion c section.

I am having major issues trying to get a c section due to my SPD, i was told its not a medical reason and that SPD is 'nothing' and everyone gets it.

Thats not how i feel about it mind you but not all health care professionals are understanding. This happened in the last 12 days, so even since guideline change, they weren't sympathetic for me.

I really urge you to stand your ground and make it very clear your wishes, if i had more time i would, but I am due in 16 days and they want me to go down the exceptional funding route, which can take a few weeks.

i wish you all the luck and i feel extremely sorry for all of you- I am on crutches and have been since about 30 weeks and I have borrowed a wheel chair in the last 2 weeks as its so bad, i need help going to the toilet now.

I wish you all lots of luck for delivery xxx

Hi Ladies

I suffered from 22 weeks with my pregnancy and still get twinges esp if I attempt to lift anything heavy (LO is now 11 months). I am just about ready to start TTC #2 but scared that the SPD will come back but much worse than before.

What can I do to strenghten myself up before getting pregnant?
I know I also need to wean LO completely off the breast as that might not be helping.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->