Starting with cloth nappies - advice plz?

New2Bumps

Mummy to 2 gorgeous boys
Reaction score
Always wanted to use cloth and was just getting things together and researching when LO came a month early! Now he's 6 weeks old, nearly 8lbs and I'm starting to think about going to cloth again, now I've got some time back!

This is what I have:
- 5 preloved fluffles size 1 (was recommended these for night time)
- 2 totsbots fleece wraps size 1 (to go over the fluffles - was recommended fleece for night time too)
- 6 totsbots bamboozles
- 3 swaddlebees wraps

This is what I need:
- liners
- boosters

I also need accessories:
This is my wanted list - have I missed anything off?
* nappy bucket
* 2 mesh laundry bags
* 1 wet nappy bag
* Flushable liners

My questions!
- How many nappies do I need to start off if I wash every day?
- Do I need the same amount of liners and boosters as nappies?
- Can I use any liner or booster with any nappy or must I buy the same brand?
- Do you dry pail and can you do this with any nappy?

I was thinking of getting some Itti's and some Minki nappes next. Am looking in the swap buy and sell thread!

THANKS LADIES!
I really want to start using cloth!
:happydance::happydance::happydance:

How many nappies are you going through a day at the moment? I'd take that figure and either add on another half (so 6 changes + 3 extra for example) at least but it would depend on your drying situation aswell.

Liners and boosters, that kind of depends what nappies you're going to buy tbh. I only have a few spare boosters but my baby isn't that heavy wetter so we don't need them. Often you can mix them but it can be a case of trial and error in figuring out what works best with what.

I dry pail all my nappies with no probs :flower:

Thanks!
We're getting through 6 nappies per day at the moment, so if I got another 6 of something I'd have a day in hand - that would be enough in your opinion :) I do have a tumble dryer so I could hopefully dry in a day (even though I've heard the tots bots take a while to dry!)

My LO isn't a heavy wetter either; maybe I should just get enough boosters to use at night. Maybe I could use muslin cloths for this? At the moment he is changed during his night feed so it's not a problem yet.

Thanks for your advice with the liners too... I'll maybe get some that are recommended for use with tots bots and go from there.

THANKS AGAIN! :D

i've never been convinced by muslin cloths, personally i'd say to invest in a few microfibre cloths if you want some cheapy extra boosters.

Don't forget spare 'mommy i've decided to gift you 4 poopy nappies today' nappies too :laugh2:

Re liners and boosters, Im not currently using any extra boosters than those that come with the nappies, I am now mainly using ittis, BG V3, Pop-Ins and Blueberrys. I am using hourglass shaped fleece liners of generic type in the Ittis but not using any liners in the others as they dont need them. I dont see any need to go with brand specific liners you just need to get the right sort of shape for the nappies, I have oval ones that fit the tots bots better and hourglass shaped ones that fit the ittis better.
I could make do with ten nappies if thats all I had, he had an extra wet day yesterday and went through eight nappies in the daytime so if he kept that up they would need to be washed and tumbled daily to be sure there were enough but on a day like today where he is "normal" wet I could easily wash the nappies Ive used last night and today and hang dry them next to/over the radiator....however the nappies Im using dry much quicker than the Tots Bots do so not sure it would work with them. The SIO ittis dry really quickly (the outers are ready for use after an hour over the radiator, I have extra snap in sets for them) the AIOs take longer but are quicker by a long way than the tots bots.
I am dry pailing all my nappies and its working perfectly well, better than I had imagined it would even. Doesnt smell in the slightest and makes everything so much easier! Infact I had a friend pop round to see him yesterday and I had the dirty nappy box right next to the sofa and she didnt notice any smell at all even though his poopy nappy from the night before plus several wet ones were in there. She only realised there were dirty nappies around when he pooped and I changed him and tossed the nappy in the box...excellent!
Im using pop-ins or blueberrys at night now my LO fits in them well he goes all night in them, I would change them in the middle but he never 'wakes' at his 4am feed (hes a punctual baby....) and his skin is perfectly dry so I figured it was silly to mess around changing him. Means he tend to go from 11pm til 7am in the one nappy and I couldnt be more pleased with containment of pee and poop, he doesnt have any extra boosters in either of them, I do have the dri night boosters for the pop-ins but he definitely doesnt need them yet and although the inserts of the blueberrys are soggy by morning his skin is dry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->