Stored breast milk...

BabyUrq

Reaction score
My baby is just over 6 months old and for the first 4 months i was pumping off every day so now i have an abundance of breast milk in my freezer....im wondering how to tell when it goes bad?? I know it will last 6 months in the freezer. I know that some of it is reaching the 6 month mark and im just starting to use it so im not using that much at a time yet...

I (personally) am cycling my milk stash so none of it is more than 4 month old. I'm due back at work next week :( so I'll be pumping at work as well as BFing when I get home.

I think 3 months is recommended, but 6 months is possible. But make sure your freezer is working properly by checking the temp (should be near to -20degrees C).

From what I read it is 3 - 4 months in a refrigerator freezer and 12 months in a deep freezer as far as recommendation. I also read that it will smell and taste bad. It goes bad in a similar fashion that cows milk does, you just know by smelling it that it is sour. Don't go by separation because that is normal and happens once chilled even for a couple hours.

Id have used the older stuff by now unless using it in food as it will have been made specifically nutritionally for your newborn not 6 month old.

Thank you...we need to get to the point where he's eating more and a bit more often so that i can use more of it to a time and faster...he will drink some from a sippy cup but not much...at least he doesn't turn his nose up at it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->