Sunbathing while pregnant?

little_em

Mammy to Charlie
Reaction score
Hi all,

Hoping some of you can give some advice. I'm going on holiday to Rhodes in just over a weeks time when I'll be 27 weeks. Is it safe to sunbathe? I'm likely to be running around after my 3 year old DS most of the time and am expecting to spend lots of time I'm the water with him. I'm armed with factor 30 suncream so as long as I don't sit in the sun for too long is it ok to do a bit of sunbathing? I'm constantly seeing celebrities on holiday so a little bit of sun must be good right?!

I asked my doc about this recently as we are off in a couple of months. Getting some sun itself is fine. Just be careful not to get dehydrated, drink plenty of water and don't get too hot. If you spend your time in the pool and have an umbrella in the heat of the day you will be fine, and wear a hat if you are going to be walking around sightseeing etc. It's just laying out for hours in the baking sun you will get too hot which is when the problems start. Have a lovely holiday!

Just make sure not to get much sun on your face as you could develop melasma (the mask of pregnancy). Wear a hat when you are in the sun :)

Yeah u will be fine as long as u keep hydrated and wear sunscreen and a hat!

Enjoy yourself! I'm looking at going in a few weeks if I can! x

I live in San Diego, its in the 90s right now so really hot. I would recommend the highest factor sunscreen you can get and a hat and make sure to get plenty of water :thumbup: Enjoy your holiday!

You can be more prone to burning during pregnancy, especially if your skin isn't used to sun. So do make sure you wear sunscreen at all times and renew it frequently and try to cover up in the midday sun. Enjoy your holiday!

I was just coming over to ask about this :haha: I live 10mins away from the beach and was planning to start going for a swim in the mornings to relax and get some exercise. I always use children's sunblock because I burn easily and don't really like tans :haha:

Hats hadn't crossed my mind, but after reading some comments here, I'll definitely be getting one to protect my face even more while I'm sitting in the water :thumbup:

To the OP: Water and juice is going to be really important while you're on vacation! It's already quite hot here (even though it hasn't peaked yet) and you can easily burn and get dehydrated if you're not careful! Most beaches have umbrellas and serve drinks and snacks...make sure to keep the cold water coming your way and you'll be fine! Have fun!

Thank you everyone! That's made me feel much better about it! Xxx

I recently saw my Dr, and she told me not to be tanning in the sun too much. She said, yes, some sun is fine but not to overdo it because laying in the sun not only makes YOU hot (and you are more prone to getting sunburnt while pregnant due to hormones) but it will also heat up the amniotic fluid. :huh: So she recommended also spending time in the shade.

Be very careful in the sun! I've only ever been sunburned once before in my whole life, I had factor 50 sun cream on, was in the sun for less than an hour and burned really badly! I know they say pregnancy skin is more sensitive, but I didn't realise to what extent! Jeez! Enjoy yourself :) xxx

Be very careful in the sun! I've only ever been sunburned once before in my whole life, I had factor 50 sun cream on, was in the sun for less than an hour and burned really badly! I know they say pregnancy skin is more sensitive, but I didn't realise to what extent! Jeez! Enjoy yourself :) xxx

yikes! I'll get burned terribly with 30spf if I don't sit in the shade! Hopefully my 50spf and swimming in the morning before it's too hot won't be an issue :wacko:

Yes, make sure you have a high SPF sunscreen and reapply every 1-2 hrs since pregnant women are more prone to sunburn.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->