Telling the job centre you're pregnant??

HCB

Reaction score
I am currently claiming JSA since being made redundant towards the end of July. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find a job yet and it's only going to get harder as I am now looking decidedly pregnant so even if I wanted to I can't really pretend. I am still looking for a job though but what will the job centre do or say if I told them I am pregnant? Will they or can they, even, stop my JSA? Is it like if you were employed where you have to tell them by your 25th week? I will be 15 weeks on Wednesday so wouldn't be able to go on MA yet (I am big for my dates because I'm carrying twins).

Has anyone had any experience of going through this? When did you tell the job centre you were pregnant and did it cause you any problems?

Thanks.

if you are entitled to MA you can send in an application from 26 weeks, and it starts at 29 weeks, if you are not entitled for any reason you would be able to claim income support from 29 weeks, but definately get your MA application sent off at 26 weeks so you will know either way by the time you hit 29 weeks

wouldnt worry about telling the job centre, its naff all to do with them and they cant stop your money because of it

I work for the JCP. Unless you stopped looking for work because you're pregnant, they won't have reason to stop your claim. So long as you continue to look for work, you're doing what you need to do to be eligible for JSA. You might want to mention it to them as they would then understand why its more difficult for you to find work, but it wouldn't change anything about your claim. 11 weeks before your due date you'd want to swap to income support / ESA as you'd be within your 'confinement' date.

I work predominantly with JSA so pls ask any questions you have and I'll do my best to answer.

Bottom line - don't worry, your claim will be fine

Thank you to you both.

I know that I should be entitled to MA because I qualify according to all the government information I have read. However, I didn't realise I could put my claim in at 26 weeks so thanks for that bit of info. My 29 weeks and the week that my JSA would end if I don't find a job is actually the same week as well.

I am still looking for a job although it's blooming frustrating! It's good to know that I can keep trying without having any other stress with regards to money, which wouldn't help the pregnancy.

I found out I was pregnant around the time I was made redundant so timing wasn't great but i was still optimistic that I would find something new. However, there's hardly been any jobs around and now that I've started finding some that I can do I'm sure they won't employ me because of the pregnancy and how little time I'll be there before going on maternity leave.

i would imagine u are still classed as being able to activley seek work so they wont be able to stop your jsa, but there will come a point and i would guess it will br around 24 weeks when u legally have to tell an employer your pregnant that they will say your are not able to activley seek work and they will stop your jsa. i dont no how maternity allowance works for you as you have previously had a job but if u werent entitles to maternity allowance of some sort then you would definatly be entitled to income support. if you go and see someone at citizens advice then they will be able to tell u everthing u need to no money wise x

^ not true they will know you are preganant but will not stop your jsa

I told them when i was about 20 weeks pregnant, it didn't make a difference, as long as you prove you are looking for work you can claim it until 29 weeks then change to IS if you want, or you have the choice to stay on JSA xx

Thanks Sarah10. It's good to hear someone else having been through the same.

From what I can gather, though, I won't be entitled to IS because of OH. Also, at 29 weeks my JSA will actually end anyway (if I haven't found a job) and I should be going on to MA because by all accounts I qualify for it. It's all rather annoying as despite me not having an income apart from the JSA because it's the wrong type of JSA I won't qualify for the Sure Start grant. That would have come in rather handy!

Please can someone help!!!
At the beginning of 2011 my husband and I decided to try for a 2nd child in 2012 but by September 2011 we found ourselves both out of work which meant putting off planning for our 2nd child, my husband is now working again with a good company and good working hours but I have been struggling for over 10 months now to find work our son is now 4 and starting school and talks quiet often about having a brother or sister and we have now decided that come September we'll try for a 2nd child as I would be unemployed for 12 months.
I have been claiming JSA now for about 6 months and have looked at the MA details but no-where does it state that people unemployed for long periods are entitled to it and I'm scared to discuss the matter with them in case they decide to stop my JSA claim - does anyone have any advice for us please we're so wanting a 2nd child but are very worried that my unemployment will result in us not having a 2nd child.

Please can someone help!!!
At the beginning of 2011 my husband and I decided to try for a 2nd child in 2012 but by September 2011 we found ourselves both out of work which meant putting off planning for our 2nd child, my husband is now working again with a good company and good working hours but I have been struggling for over 10 months now to find work our son is now 4 and starting school and talks quiet often about having a brother or sister and we have now decided that come September we'll try for a 2nd child as I would be unemployed for 12 months.I have been claiming JSA now for about 6 months and have looked at the MA details but no-where does it state that people unemployed for long periods are entitled to it and I'm scared to discuss the matter with them in case they decide to stop my JSA claim - does anyone have any advice for us please we're so wanting a 2nd child but are very worried that my unemployment will result in us not having a 2nd child.

to claim MA, you need to have been employed and earned the required amount (least £30 per week) for 26 weeks out of the test period which is 66 weeks prior to your due date.

so for you, you would need to find a job soon-ish and have worked 26 weeks prior to your due date (when that comes!!) to get MA. If you get a job prior to falling pregnant, you may be able to get SMP which is more money

if you remain unemployed before you have your baby, you won't be entitled to MA and any benefits will depend on your OH's income

hth
:hugs:
x

Hi i recently found out im pregnant and im on JSA that will stop in May due to it being contribution based and the baby is due in November. I am actively looking for work but am finding it very hard to find anything where the mention of being a mum makes employers think i have the plague! What financial support will i get after may when jsa ends and will i get any maternity allowance? Im sooooo lost!

If you haven't worked in the test period for maternity allowance then you won't receive it. If you are on contribution based JSA now, will it revert to income based? Does your partner earn? If that's the case then sadly you will probably relieve child benefit and that's about it.

Hi need some help I’m roughly 12 weeks pregnant me and my partner are on jsa joint claim he will be starting a new job shortly so he can sign off to be honest I don’t know the area that well and don’t want to go on my own to sign on as doing things like that gives me anxiety i really don’t want to go anymore but scared what they are going to say I have thought about calling and cancling my claim but will that cause problems need help ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->