TENS Machine?

Rydia

1 Boy & 1 Girl
Reaction score
Any recommendations on which is the best?

Is it worth renting one when it seems that you can buy one for a similar price ?

How do you "practice" or learn to use it in advance if there is no pain to try it out on? I dont think I will be able to figure it out if I am using it for the first time during labour?

Also if you used one did you find it helpful? I figure it cannot hurt to have one and to try it out.

I just bought a femme tens machine from ebay, used so I bought new electrodes as well, for hygiene, all for £20. I didn't go for one of them ones with all the buttons and a screen as I thought a basic one would suit me better, it just has the dials you turn up and down, and a booster button for when a contraction is coming. I was so confused with what to choose so hope I made the right decision! If you are going to buy one on ebay or similar, just make sure that its suitable for labour as I found that some of them aren't. From what I've read you can use it for backache etc.. from 37wks so could practise with it then :)

I hired ours for our last birth and I have to say it helped me through the main part of my labour. We practised putting it on in the right place. So that when I went into labour my husband wouldn’t be wasting time reading the instruction book…LOL

Also don’t do like I did in labour and think “these contractions are really painful I will whack it up to high” you will only be in for a big shock (Literally) and it will be stronger than the contractions.

Also use it at the start of labour when you have only the small bearable contractions. This builds up I think your adrenalin that helps to deal with the pain. If you use it when the pain is more intense it doesn’t work to its full advantage.

We will be hiring another one for this birth. I liked the one where there was a booster button. Hope this helps. If you need any more info just ask :)

If I could do it over I would get a TENS. I had been practicing my hypnobirthing for so long though that I didn't think I would need it. I thought it would just be a distraction and it would mess up my focus. I see now it would have only enhanced my relaxation.

Other than that my only advice is make sure you get one with a booster button. :thumbup:

Ask your midwives if they've machines they lend out - apparently mine do for a tenner which is an improvement on £30 rental from Mothercare etc. Definitely going to get one now as well as the hypno, aromatherapy, water - as the more natural pain relief I have, the less pharmacological required hopefully!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->