the dangers of dopplers? anyone know

babyoneill

mother to Amber and Lexie and Jack
Reaction score
im a doppler addict and i have just been informed that using them are dangerous and "its like putting your baby in a microwave" really qquite worried as i some times use my twice a day.... :wacko::nope: is this a myth or is there some truth in it ? scary x

I really don't know :shrug: but I don't get how it's dangerous... It's only a microphone, right?

XxX

thats what i thought bt aparently they conduct heat, i just wanted to know if anyone else had some info on this ? x

Ive heard this too.. :wacko:

BUT Ive googled it and spoke to my midwife.. She assures me that theres no harm done as long as u dont do it for more than 10mins at a time..!
And if i trust anyone.. Its my midwife, and not hearsay..
:kiss:

I use mine everyday, i just cant help it, and my mw said its perfectly fine xx

I have also heard this but if you research into it, it comes with some pretty dodgy research so cannot be counted as good fact. Dopplers do create heat but then so to ultrasound scanners ( significantly more in the case of ultrasounds and yet these are used as a primary diagnostic tool). I really don't think you have anything to worry about.

its just i use mine at least twice a day and was feeling so guilty that im hurting my lil buba x

Personally I'm avoiding them, and was concerned about the scans too although decided to go with the two standard ones as I felt the benefits outweighed the risk for me. I do feel that they are a medical tool, and would be concerned about using them too often. They aren't just a microphone. They emit high frequency ultrasound which bounces back and is translated into sound you can hear. For me, I don't want to expose my baby to that for longer than strictly necessary. Obviously, many people use them, and are perfectly comfortable with that decision. It's something you have to research and make your own choices on.

they are fine as long as you dont use them for more than 10 minutes at a time :)

My research consisted of asking actual scientists on the effects of a doppler, and was reassured it's completely harmless.

There are many women that have high-risk pregnancies and are required to do a plethora of ultrasounds, and their babies turn out as healthy as the rest. Plus, I think that the reason that only a couple of ultrasounds are offered by the NhS are purely financial, not medical.

That said, my doppler's instructions read to use it once a week, and not more than every 2-3 days. To this, I will stick. :thumbup:

Good to know. Thank you for posting :)

I have been wondering this too. I have limited use to once (sometimes twice a week) and never for more than acouple minutes. Would love to listen everyday but I don't want to risk it. I told my Dr I had a doppler and he had no concerns with it what so ever! He didn't even tell me there was any harm in it. So I feel ok with what I am doing.

It's all to do with heat...they say not to raise your core body temp by more than 4degrees and by keeping the Doppler/ultra sound wand in the same place can cause it to creep up...however it'd have to be there a LONG time for it to matter! I have one and use it every few days...I love hearing it but she doesn't like it so anywhere between 3 days to a week is as often as I use mine

It's also something to do with sound waves...to hear the heartbeat/see the foetus, the device uses sound waves and as this hasn't been proven on whether it affects hearing ect then some say it's bad...but just be sensible when, how long etc you use it and there is no side effects at all

Enjoy it and don't worry we have enough to worry about :flower:

I use mine everyday. My OB said that was completely fine and I'll trust her over what I read on google any day. She said that the doppler would have to sit for a LONG time on your belly to raise your temp at all! Ultrasounds emit far more and I just safely had a 30 minute anatomy scan. Talk to your OB/midwife. I'm sure they will say its fine!

i just dont get it if they are dangerous then why do the doctors put u on them monitors for most of the labour if they are dangerous x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->