The day has come :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

motherofboys

Reaction score
I posted back in August (I think :/ lol) about how old kids stop believing in Santa. DH thought that at Christmas, as he'd be almost 9 years old (5th feb) DS1 would be too old to believe and wanted to tell him the truth. I disagreed.
Anyway tonight DS1 was arguing with DH and DH played the Santa card and DS1 said "I don't care, I don't think he's real anyway. I think you buy the presents because he (points at DS2) always gets better games." DS2 (7) said "yes he is, I've seen him" and DS1 said "fine, show me how much money you have before Christmas and how much after. Then I'll believe you!"

Oh no :-( I dread the day my kids stop believing lol x

I have been dreading it too. I will have to try to have a quiet chat with him tomorrow and convince him not to tell his little brothers.

That's such a shame, especially if he's going to spoil it for your younger one too. You might just need to let him in on the secret and get him involved in making some santa magic for his brother so he doesn't get it in his head to convince him he's not real too :-(

Like others have said maybe it's time to get him on your side and let him in on the secret so he doesn't spoil it for the little ones. Although I do have to say you have a very cleaver chap there to come up with the money before and after. :thumbup:

I think in his mind our money is like his, in a money box and if theres less after Christmas we obviously spent it on presents lol
I will chat with him though. He has such an attitude lately and tends to blurt things out when angry so really hope he co-operates

My son is 10 and has figured it out now i think, as he keeps saying he thinks he is not real as all the kids in his class say it, im going to have a chat to him soon and see if he does still believe if not ill tell him that we need to keep the magic goi g for his little sisters, its so sad as when he was small he used to get so excited to see what Santa brought him :(

He was still upstairs arguing with his brothers about whether he was real or not so I called him down and had a chat about it. He knows now :( Looking at his little face as I explained it I wanted to take it all back and insist he was real.

A friend sent me this

Attachments

• 10355835_10152330290997610_8703148614067765503_n.jpg
    10355835_10152330290997610_8703148614067765503_n.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 107
Oh that's so sad, bless him. They're always in such a hurry to grow up even when they're not ready :-(

I feel really weird now, like a part of his childhood is gone and he isn't a baby any more. I know my nephew was 8 when he stopped believing and sometime between 8 and 10 seems quite common, but he said to dh that he was a bit sad about it. I just hope he isn't too sad :(

Thats so sad :nope:

Could you not try and back track to him? Take him to one side tomorrow when he has had time to take it all in and maybe ask him if it made him sad that there was no Santa, if he answers yes, tell him that you were just making him feel how it made you feel when he was trying to be cocky saying there was no Santa, tell him that of course there is a Santa whilst he still believes, it is worth a go. :hugs:

I remember being about the same age and being cocky about it, my mum telling me that I would only get paper if I did not believe. Guess what I got that year, yes three bags of newspaper! It was over an our later my presents were 'found'

We never even had the talk with Emily she believed she did not believe we just left it o her imagination for as long as she wanted. I think deep down even at 19 she wold still like to Believe :blush:

Aw my DD is only 3 but I dread the day this happens. I was going to post that thing that you already attached, seems a good approach. He is lucky in a way that he has younger siblings so you can involve him in keeping the magic alive for them and maybe he might feel grown p and responsible about having this secret to keep from them. I'm not sure. Good luck xx

My mother never admitted to me that Santa wasn't real. Even when I was 18 she insisted we leave a mince pie and carrot out, and my presents were labelled "from Santa and Rudolf" lol.

I'm never admitting it to mine either. I'll avoid the question though. I've been asked by the kids before if he's real, and I'm just like "Well where do you think the presents come from?"

We drill it into them all year round that we can't afford all the expensive things they natter us for when we're in shops, so they definitely wouldn't think we could buy them presents the way santa does.

Little do they know that the only way we buy them the presents is by avoiding the pester power all year round lol.

I dunno.,, I found out Santa wasn't real when I saw my dad collected something in argos and it all clicked into place.

I knew it was them I had to work on, after that, not Santa :haha: :muaha:

I found out when my parents put my stocking on my bed one night and it woke me up.
I still kept it a secret and managed to convince my sister he was real until she was at least 14!
Santa will always be real in this house, my dad still gets me and my sisters a gift labelled from Santa every year.

Hopefully your boy will help to keep the magic alive for his brothers xx

My 8 and 10 year old have clocked onto some things and I have not lied. Yes mum and dad DO put out your presents but even adults believe in magic and santa IS real in our hearts. They still love seeing santa :)

My mother never admitted to me that Santa wasn't real. Even when I was 18 she insisted we leave a mince pie and carrot out, and my presents were labelled "from Santa and Rudolf" lol.

I'm never admitting it to mine either. I'll avoid the question though. I've been asked by the kids before if he's real, and I'm just like "Well where do you think the presents come from?"

We drill it into them all year round that we can't afford all the expensive things they natter us for when we're in shops, so they definitely wouldn't think we could buy them presents the way santa does.

Little do they know that the only way we buy them the presents is by avoiding the pester power all year round lol.

See I do the same regarding the cost of things. Tell them stuff is too expensive, they'll have to wait and ask Santa because obviously being magic he can bring them anything. So I'm bit sure why he even thought that we could afford all the presents. When we spoke about it last night he said "but how did you get the vita?" Because he knows how expensive they are, and I told him I save hard all year so that I can buy them the things I couldn't usually afford.
I don't want to insist he is real and then have to admit it down the line, his class is a mixed age group and almost all of his friends are already 10 or have siblings in their teens so I expect a lot of them know, some of them definitely do.
I've told him now he gets to be Santa and be part of the magic and that he knows a big secret, like being in a special club.

I want to try to find a way to include him in things with his new part on the magic of Christmas, but I'm not sure what or how.

I remember my mum told me before i went to academy incase i got bullied.
One Xmas eve i found all the presents on the bed and i told her i didnt believe then but she said Santa was running late that night so the parents had to help out a bit haha there was alwaysa good excuse for everything.
Plus i remember we werent exactly well off and one year we got a computer between us that cost about £1000 so after that all doubt i had went as i just thought my parents could never have afforded it.

I was sad too, but nothing changed for us once we knew my mum still continues to pretend santa is real, we did all the same things just we knew he wasnt a real man thats all

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"