The First Timer Scardicats!!!!!

Hi honey, I'm home! :haha:

My BnB exile is over and I look forward to getting caught up properly soon. :hug:

Yeah I figured it out somewhat Luvbug lol.

AFM- AF didn't come yesterday so I think today will be the day as I was cramping a little bit last night.

Any news yet snuffles? Have you tested?
Afm, I'm rather excited as I go to get my amh levels tested this week (it checks how good/bad your ovarian reserve is) x

I hope you all had a fantastic New Year's celebrations! I have a feeling this will be an epic post, I have lots to catch up on.

Miniegg - Your plan sounds really good - the best of both worlds. I'm sure you will have your son or daughter with you by the time your wedding comes around. Imagine the cute outfit you will get to buy! And I'm sure the TTC will be easier with the wedding to keep you busy :thumbup:

Luvbug - Hope you're feeling a bit better about things. It is all very overwhelming but try not to worry. Everything is so cheap and accessible these days with internet shopping and whatnot. If baby arrives home and you have nothing but a boob, a babygro and a blanket that will be enough to be getting on with :haha:

Cake - sorry to hear about AF :hugs: Good luck with your testing! What does that involve if you don't mind me asking?

Banana - Argh how scary! I had a similar thing happen at my 20 week scan but not as bad by the sounds of it. I ended up being scanned on my side too but never worked out what the problem was :shrug: How exciting that you're half way! Well more likely more than half way with a twin pregnancy - eeek!

Sooz - I'm really sorry to hear about your bleed, how frightening. You've made it so far now though and every day makes such a big difference at this stage. You're past V-day now! :happydance:

Kismet - welcome back! :hugs:

Snuffles - Argh I'm sorry to hear AF got you too :cry:

Sorry I've been so crap with journals lately, I'm starting to find a bit more time now so am hoping to be back on here a bit more now. I've been feeling a little isolated so it will be lovely to be back in touch with you all again. I hope you don't think it's weird to say so but you lot really are my closest friends :blush:

AFM - Unfortunately I have decided to give up breastfeeding. I'm really disappointed but I really feel I gave it a good go and Felix just wasn't making any progress - he still just wouldn't do it and wasn't any closer to doing it, and it was just causing lots of stress and aggro for all three of us (OH ended up being on standby for moral support/to top up with EBM from a bottle for basically every feed). I'm still expressing so he's still having breast milk, just out of a bottle, and I will keep this up for as long as I can but ultimately feel it isn't feasible long term. I'm so disappointed but feel better now as I'm getting a bit more sleep and every feed isn't an ordeal which it was when we were still trying to breastfeed. I will just take each day as it comes.

I've been noting down a few little tips from my experience of birth and the first few weeks with a newborn should anybody be interested. I'll put them here in a spoiler and hope some of them are of help to you!

#1 - Changing stations
I bought two of these toy caddys: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001R53P9K/ref=oh_details_o05_s00_i00 and filled them with wipes, nappies, breast pads (you'll need these whether you're breastfeeding or not), nappy bags, a couple of muslins and a spare babygro. One of these and a changing mat (buy two!) live in our room and the living room and means that we have everything in one place for changing/feeding. They need refilling every few days max but that's better than running round the house every time. Also, whilst not practical for taking out to the shops or similar it's ideal to grab if you're popping round to your mum's or something so you can avoid lugging your changing bag everywhere with you.

#2 - Maternity pads
I wasn't sure if I'd need loads of maternity pads or if night time sanitary towels would do. The midwives recommend you use specific maternity pads due to certain chemicals in normal sanitary towels, and the surface of maternity pads seems slightly different too. TMI but the blood doesn't soak into maternity pads in the same way so it's easier to monitor bleeding. Also - and this is the main point for me and something I didn't know - maternity pads aren't so thick for absorbency purposes (you're changing them too often to fill them anyway) - it's because they cushion your bits!! This is essential. I don't think I'd have been able to sit down in the first few days without the added padding. My bleeding has about stopped now and I got through 6 packs of 10 maternity pads since I've been home. The hospital supplied them whilst I was there.

#3 - Steriliser
If you're planning on breastfeeding and aren't sure whether to get a steriliser 'just in case', buy a couple of packs of Milton sterlising tablets or similar. You can then just fill up a clean tupperware pot or ice cream tub, anything with a lid, and use that as a steriliser if you find yourself in a pinch. They're only about £3 for a massive packet and it could really save a lot of stress should you find yourself desperately needing to cup, bottle or syringe feed, or sterilise a container for breast milk, or nipple shields, etc etc. They take 15mins to sterilise and everything stays sterile for 24 hours after which you have to change the water and put a new tablet in. These were a lifesaver in what was already an insanely stressful situation and we've still just got all our bits and bobs sterilising in a lunch box. You don't necessarily need fancy stuff.

#4 - Muslins
I really wasn't sure about this one, I read lots of people saying how essential they were but they seemed quite expensive for what are essentially just rags. But honestly, they are a vital purchase and I've since bought more. You can use them as a thin blanket/sheet, to mop up spills and sick, to quickly dump on top of a baby boy when he starts peeing everywhere mid-nappy change... we also put them on the changing mat before changing him as the plastic can be cold but those of you having summer babies or in warmer climes may not have this problem. I bought these ones: https://www.amazon.co.uk/CREAM-COTT...TF8&colid=3S0DDYAFSFNFR&coliid=I1AFIHO3NBSPZ8

#5 - Make lots of noise when they're asleep
This may seem to massively go against the grain but DON'T be tempted to tiptoe around the house when they're asleep. They'll get used to it and then will wake up unless it's totally silent. Felix will sleep through anything and I've seen my mum be literally afraid to cough when he's asleep in the same room. I wonder if this is why I was such a terrible sleeper when I was a baby? The same goes for getting the room pitch black etc. There's nothing wrong with blackout curtains but try and make sure they sleep in a light room too otherwise you're setting yourselves up for a difficult sleeper. I know some babies are likely to be sounder sleepers than others naturally but I really think this helps.

#6 - Take flavourful snacks to the hospital
Slightly less important but hospital food is so bland so take something with lots of flavour to keep you going. OH brought me a coronation chicken sandwich on day 4 and it was the best thing I've ever eaten. Four days of bland food, only water to drink and no fresh air or natural light had left me feeling very weird and daft as it sounds this really helped.

#7 - Drink loads, pee fast
The temptation when peeing is so sore is to try and avoid it but don't be tempted to do this. It's also hard not to tense up whilst peeing but this just prolongs it. Drink plenty to dilute your wee and when you go, grit your teeth and just go for it. It hurts for much less time than letting it dribble out for ages because you keep tensing :haha: Also wiggle around, change positions, you will find one that misses some/most/all of your stitches if you're lucky. (Drinking lots of water will also help any swelling/water retention you have go down quicker. I still can't fit my wedding ring on but it's gone down loads. Oh and on a related note expect any swelling in your hands/feet to get worse before it gets better - totally normal)

#8 - Do your research
Look into things that you don't think you'll need just in case. For example I didn't look into bottles or breast pumps at all and then had to buy one on my phone from my hospital bed. I wish I'd at least looked into it and had an idea which one I would buy should I need one. Looking into it would only have taken half an hour whilst I was sat twiddling my thumbs in the last few weeks of pregnancy and would have saved a lot of stress.

#9 - Sleep!
In the first few days, forget everything else, just feed and sleep. If you're bottle feeding, get OH to do the night feeds. If you're breast feeding, literally just do that then go back to sleep. OH can take care of changing etc. In those early days sleep makes so much difference to your healing. I tried to do it all for the first few days and eventually gave in and let OH give EBM in a bottle overnight on night 4 (night 4 at home that is) and I swear I basically healed overnight having made little progress up until then. The midwife even commented on it when I saw her the following day.

#10 - Epsom salts and lavender oil
Put these in your bath, they really help with the healing process, prevent scars forming and soothe swollen bits and bobs. You don't need anything fancy (in fact you should avoid it whilst you're still healing), you can just buy them plain on ebay or Amazon and they'll only set you back a few quid.

#11 - You can never take enough photos
Before, during and after birth, no matter how crap you feel, no matter how unflattering they are. You can always look and delete or never look at them again but if you don't take them you never have them. I have a photo of Felix crowning and it's gross and no one will ever see it but I'm so glad I have it. I pushed him out and I don't see why OH should have seen everything and I got to see nothing :haha:

And finally, Jo's absolute top tip for childbirth
#12 - Moist toilet tissue
I cannot emphasise this enough! If I'd rocked up at hospital with nothing but my Andrex moist towelettes I would have managed just fine. They are amazing and (TMI) really help you feel clean when you're bleeding like mad and have piles the size of a small town. They also help you freshen up a bit before midwives come round wanting to check your bits and bobs. This is my absolute number one tip, PLEASE put some of these in your hospital bag!

Oh Jo that was such a great post! Thank you for all of those tips!

Thanks for the tips Jo, I've saved them for when the time comes...!
It's a blood test that measures the amount of Anti-Müllerian Hormone (AMH) you have which helps to determine a womans ovarian reserve and how many follicles are developing in the ovary at a particular time. X

Jo: Thanks! Those are such great tips. I wouldn't have known about most of them.

Rachel: Good luck on your blood test!

Snuffles: Boo on AF! :hugs:

Where can I find the anti-dr google thing people have put in their siggies lately? It's a great idea!

I believe if you just click on someone's in their sight it will give you the link.

Kismet, it was kittiecat who found it and put it into my journal. I resized it and put another link to it in there :) shoukd find it if you go back a page xx

Happy New Year ladies! Have been quietly lurking on here as haven’t been feeling all that well. How are you all doing??

JO4NN4 – Felix is sooo gorgeous!! Thank you for sharing your birth story it was amazing and sounds like you did amazingly well. So nice to hear something positive as I have been reading some of the stories on here and scaring myself silly! Sounds like you have done absolutely everything you could with the breast feeding and you deserve a medal for your perseverance! I know you want whats best for Felix but you also have to do whats right for you as this time is so precious and you should be enjoying it as much as possible. Thanks for all your tips – I have taken note of them all and am grateful for anything else you think of as I am starting to realise just how clueless I am lol.

Sooz – congrats on your baby girl!! Fab news hun! Have you started thinking of any names yet? Do your family and friends know you have found out or are you keeping it a secret? Sorry to hear you had another bleed but glad all is okay! :hugs:

Banana – sorry to hear you had such a scary time at the scan I have heard that pregnant women can feel unwell and become v dizzy lying on their backs so I suppose with you having two of them in there would make it even worse. Glad all is okay with the babies though! Have you decided when you are going to start your maternity leave?

Miniegg – congrats on your engagement! I got engaged on Christmas day last year and it’s a day I will never forget. Such an exciting time for you!!!

Sending lots and lots of 2013 :dust::dust::dust::dust: to those of you TTC – I really hope this is your year.

Wanted to share a bargain buy I got last week just in case any of you UK ladies may be interested. I am planning to try and breastfeed to start with but came accross this starter kit which I decided to buy as I think I will use most of the contents at some point.

https://www.argos.co.uk/static/Search/searchTerms/TOMMEE+TIPPEE+STARTER+KIT.htm

This is normally £99.99 in Argos but reduced in the sale. However, if you join Emmas Diary online you are entitled to their money off vouchers for Argos which gives you another £20 off. So I paid £46.66 for this set. In Mamas and Papas it costs £140.

OH MY!!!!!!!

So I've just done a test and it came up pregnant 3+!!!! So my question is answered then looks like I'm gonna be a mummy first and then a wife!!!!!!

Auw CONGRATULATIONS Miniegg!! AMAZING news!! Its obviously meant to be hun and now the decision is made for you lol! So happy for you!! How you feeling? Are you in shock?? xx

Thanks hun! Yeah in major shock as I honestly didn't think it would happen this month. I keep thinking maybe the test is wrong as the result came up so fast but it can't be wrong can it?

I'm freaking out a little too as I ate pâté yday and I drank more alcohol than I would normally on holiday.

Okay, now bring on the :bfp: for me, Trying, Snuffles, CC, Cake/Rachel, and anyone else who is still TTC, who I've forgotten. :dust: :hugs: :thumbup:

I dont think the digital could be wrong no!! Are you late for AF? Dont even think about what you have been eating and drinking the past few weeks. You cant change it now. I was on holiday in Turkey the week before I got my BFP and I drank a fair bit, smoked (I dont even smoke but fancied it while there) I had my friends 8 year old climbing on me and throwing me about the pool kicking me etc when playing and also I obviously got on a plane there and back which is a no no early on. I mentioned all this to the midwife as I was worried but she said that early on it doesnt really matter as they take goodness from your womb which has been building up way before you were pregnant. Also, after the hyperemesis started I wasnt eating and barely drinking and have to date lost 16lbs since falling pregnant and as far as I have been made aware everything is fine with baby. So please, try not to worry. Heres to a happy and healthy 9 months for you!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->