• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

The importance Of Reduced Fetal Movements And Movement Guidelines

It just means that we are pushing it up the new posts, so it gets seen. So 'bumping' it up x

But this thread is a sticky. No need to bump. It will always be on the main page lol

Gosh, now I know why my doctor looked so concerned when she asked if I was feeling the baby yet (at 25 weeks) and I said I wasn't sure. I explained that it felt like "bubbles popping" rather than flutters and she relaxed and said that's the baby. Then she checked the heart rate and it was normal.

However, I thought I read that fetal movement greatly decreases after about the 28th week and that it's normal to do so. Now I'm guessing this is wrong??? I assumed that if a decrease in movement is normal then it must be because the baby is getting bigger and space becomes so limited to move around in there.
Right now I'm at 26 weeks and baby is "bubbling" like crazy. I can definitely tell that there are sleep/wake cycles. Baby wakes me up around 5am, then he's active after every meal, and again at bedtime.
I'm very content to feel him. It makes me happy.

Squiggy, you are correct in thinking that the reduction in movements is wrong. This is outdated advice. Babies movements may change (although usually 32-34 weeks) from big kicks etc to more nudges etc but they should not reduce in number.

I am utterly confused now both my midwife and the hospital have told me I need to at least feel 10 kicks a day...:shrug:

I am trying to following my little one's pattern but sometimes I do freak out when I don't feel him for a little while.

I am utterly confused now both my midwife and the hospital have told me I need to at least feel 10 kicks a day...:shrug:

I am trying to following my little one's pattern but sometimes I do freak out when I don't feel him for a little while.

:hugs: It can be so confusing when professionals are giving conflicting advice.

It is know your babies pattern now. The way my consultant explained it to me when I was pregnant with my rainbow was if your baby moves 100 times a day and then suddenly is moving 12 times in one day, whilst that falls in their normal range, it isn't normal for your baby.

SANDS (stillbirth and neonatal death society) says about the not ten movements thing. And also who your mw and hospital should be following with their guidelines, the royal college of obs and gynaecologists (RCOG), now also say about not a set number of movements. The problem is these guidelines changed in August 2012 and so some healthcare providers aren't up to date. Here is a leaflet for pregnant women from the RCOG, they provide guidelines to do with pregnancy in the UK (spotted you were from there) https://www.rcog.org.uk/files/rcog-corp/Your Baby's Movements in Pregnancy_0.pdf

I hope that helps. Your LO has plenty of time to get into more of a routine x

Thanks for that link :flower:
So if I am reading correctly the pattern can still be a bit of until about 32 weeks?

Sorry I am paranoid about everything :blush:
xx

I've also been paranoid since reading this post.
Initially baby was very active and then it cut down quite a bit in a small period and now that I don't feel baby constantly I get scared all the time.
I used to feel baby extremely active first thing in the morning, then after every meal, then again at bedtime. Now, I barely feel him during the day, only sometimes and not nearly as active.

Now, I don't have quality medical care so when I call my doctor's office the receptionist puts me on hold and asks the nurses my questions. I haven't been to see my doctor now in over a month and she's on vacation but I'll be seeing a substitute doctor on Friday. I want to ask about this as it's become a huge concern for me now. I'm worried all the time as I'm not even 7 months pregnant yet and movements have slowed down so much. It seems to early for baby to have slowed down so much. However, aside from an upset stomach I feel otherwise normal. I just hope everything is okay.

Baby's movements do tend to get into a pattern the further into pregnancy you get. My baby has had a pretty set schedule for a few weeks already, I made a note of times of day when baby VERY active for a while and, not just a few kicks here or there. The time baby becomes active can vary, but it will generally be like sometime mid-morning, or mid-afternoon, or middle of the night.

For example, here's what I've noticed from my baby(A day in the life of baby hehe): I literally have little to no movement from baby through the entire night. Usually if I get kicked, it's because my other kids have woken and are talking to me, or there's a storm. Thunder wakes this baby instantly. Throughout the day baby is very sporadic with kicks other than the set times I have noticed. I will notice kicks mostly when I eat, when there is music playing, or when I am poking at my belly trying to encourage kicks. Usually these kicks are just a few and then baby is done. However after I wake in the morning and have gotten up and about for a while, around 9 am(give or take a half hour) I have noticed that baby is almost ALWAYS kicking or moving about. The kicks aren't always the same, sometimes they're rough and painful, other times it's more just baby squirming around and bumping at my belly. The next time I get pummeled is usually around 2 pm, and then again around 10 pm. Again these times sometimes vary by 30 minutes, but they're always around these times. Monday I had a super busy day, and never noticed a single kick from baby. I realized it when I laid down in bed at the end of the day, about 9:30 pm. So I pulled out my doppler afraid something might be wrong, but heartbeat was strong. And 15 minutes later I was greeted with the hardest kicks ever. I just hadn't paid attention, and if the kicks are not real big that day they're easy to miss. The intensity of the kicks I don't think are what matters quite as much as that there is plenty of movements going on. Some kicks are just easier to miss, especially when you're busy. If you're not sure baby has a schedule, just try noting times of day when you notice baby is pretty active. Do it for a week and you'll probably notice a pattern. Times won't always be exact, but they probably will be close.

Hope this helps some.

Kind of unrelated to kicks and fetal movement, and I feel REALLY stupid because as I'm at 27 weeks I'm just now realizing this... we're supposed to have some sort of belly support when we're laying on our sides sleeping? What kind of support and how bad is it if someone hasn't had any, and they've just been laying on their side???? I noticed lately he goes CRAZY when I lay on my left side, could it be because I'm squishing him?!?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
raisingbisho
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->