The pushing stage...

They found out I was fully dilated at 6.30am, but the MW was useless and was left alone till 8am when got a new MW who knew my baby was back to back and had a long way to come and that I was on a time limit of up to 10am when they would initiate forceps or c-section - I had a hard hard time pushing being back to back ( and it later transpired with his hand over his head and cord around his neck ) and he was born at 10.37 - so 2 hours 37 mins if you don't count the 1.5 hours from being fully dilated. He was 9 lb 7oz and no pain relief..

As I had been in the latent phase for 4 days ( 4 very long painful days!!! ) I needed induction drugs at 8am as my uterus was knackered ( as was I!!! )....

hx

I had a mobile/low-dose epidural, so I could still feel my contractions & the urge to push, all pain free! I was pushing for 6mins :shock: she was out within 2 pushes, not sure if I'm just well built down there for giving birth :rofl: or because she was so tiny (5lb 7.5oz and head circ was 31cms!) I like to think it's the latter!! x

I had an epidural so couldn't feel that much, though i did feel the ring of fire LOL. I pushed for 3 quaters of a hour, was abit difficult since i didn't get the urge to push, i just pushed randomly and somehow he came out!

From the 6 hrs between my waters breaking and Ava-Mae arriving, the pushing stage lasted 1 1/2 hours. I was in the birthing pool for about 1hr 15mins for the pushing stage but I couldn't seem to get her to get past the 'u-bend' lol! The midwives suggested I get out the pool and try and go for a wee as they thought the movement might help gravity do its job and also thought my bladder might be causing an obstruction. I then got onto the bed and about 3 pushes later she was here. Although I hated the ring of fire, it did feel me with relief as I knew she would be here literally seconds later. I tore in two places (the usual perinium tear and also a tear near where you wee, but I think the MW did this when she was helping me along)

I would say the third stage was worse than the second. I took 1hr 40mins in this stage! Didnt have the injection as they said because my labour was so quick it should also happen quick but my contractions stopped altogether. Then once an hour passed I had the injection. You only have 45mins once you have the injection and it got to 40mins and there was talks of theatre and finally it came out! Turns out it was a litre of wee blocking it in!!

I would do it all again in a heartbeat

xxx

I pushed for about 10 minutes if that, wasn't sore at all, pain totally went away as soon I started needing to push!

i was the same! I thought the pushing bit would be the worst bit, i was so wrong and so shocked lol x

Took me 3 failed hours to push Jack out before i ended with the section.

Harry was bang on an hour!

I had an epidural but could still feel contractions, although I never felt an actual urge to push. It took about twenty minutes (I had a pretty fast labour, only 7 hours total) to push her out; I held my breath when I bore down (not recommended I guess) and I was getting lightheaded, and with my blood pressure dropping they started talking about using forceps so I wouldn't end up passing out.

The word 'forceps' terrified me so I pushed so damn hard I thought my head would explode (and I broke my tailbone :wacko:) and she popped out.

With my 4 i pushed between 5 and 10 minutes with all of them. I will never forget that sense of relief when babys head is out and you know that one more push and baby will be in your arms!

Thank you for all your replies.

So many different experiences! I also had a lot of trouble getting Louie round the 'u-bend' lol, and can relate to hating the feeling of getting him a tiny bit further out then feeling him pop back in a bit when the contraction finished. I also had my legs up in stirrups because of the trouble I had pushing him out. And he had a big head!

Also someone else said about feeling scared they were gonna poo so they held back a bit - I can so relate to this! I actually did poo :blush: lol, but even after this I was still scared I was gonna do it again! That was like a hurdle in itself that I had to get over mentally - I knew that if I pushed hard enough I was gonna poo myself and I had to mentally come to terms with that before I could push anymore. (This was right at the beginning of the pushing stage). I remember I kept saying to the MW's at each contraction - "I'm pooing again aren't I!!! Just tell me!" LOL, she kept saying no and that it was my bumhole dilating making me feel that way but I didn't believe her!

I think if I'm lucky enough to get pregnant again in the future, I would consider an epidural just because for me, I'm so frightened of the pushing stage because of my first labour. But at the same time, I'm not sure I could have pushed him out naturally if I hadn't been able to feel the contractions. It would be tough for me to decide what to do when the time comes if the contractions were like my first labour, because they are manageable for me with pethidine and gas and air, it's just the pushing stage that was horrendous and by the time you get there and feel you need it, it's too late! I hope I'll be lucky like a couple of you ladies and my second will just slide right out!

Someone else said (I think it was Zedfaca) that you might not be able to feel perineum tears at the time but you sure can feel labial tears as they happen! I can't comment on perineum tears as I didn't get any, but one of my labia ripped clean in half and I felt every second of it, it was agony! I got a lot of other grazes all over my foof as well. I felt like such a wuss saying how much pain I was in when I didn't even need stitches, but the grazes were like deep cuts that just couldn't be stitched, I'm still in a bit of pain from them today.

I'm amazed at all the different types of labours we've all had - thank you all for sharing! xxx

Epidural line fell out. Whilst pushing ripped from hole to hole!

I found the pushing bit easier than the contractions before hand! Well up until the crowing which was awful lol.

I was pushing for about 45 mins, Liam kept putting his head back in everytime the midwife said they could see his head he seemed to go back in again but finally he came out!!!! lol.

The contractions during the pushing stage were so bad that I vowed on the second one that he was coming out on the third. I was true to my word and pushed him out head and all on the 3rd contraction. The midwife barely caught him because she didn't expect him to come out so quick and was reaching for a towel. I pushed for about 5-7 minutes tops.

I loved the pushing stage!! I thought it felt really nice :blush: With Mia I pushed for about 25 mins. With Joseph I pushed for 5mins (if that) - he was out in 2 pushes and the midwife missed it because she 'popped' to the loo :) xx

I had a really good pushing experience, I was lucky. They had turned down my epi already and I pushed for a total of 10min and he was here. I did feel myself tear but it wasn't major, took 4 stitches and that was the worst part. The dr thought since I did so well pushing I must not be feeling anything so just started stitching up without numbing...THAT hurt.

With my 3rd (2nd was a c-section) he was born with me pushing through just one contraction into my hands and I pulled him to my chest, it was amazing.

both my boys were out within 10 min my second was almost coming out before I was told to start pushing so he was out within a couple of pushes I of course had the epidural with both so didnt feel much :)

While pushing I had a crazy midwife shouting 'for god's sake woman get on with it' whilst shoving my head towards my knees. If I wasn't in so much pain I would have had words...but it worked, only took 20 minutes.

At 6cm the contractions were awful. 20mins later then said I could push, I was so relieved!! It took 3 pushes to get Amara out, so I think about 15mins and she was there in my arms. Yes it eas painful, but it wasnt as bad as the contraction as I was pushing so hard to push the pain away. Plus I knew the longer I fussed the longer it would take to get her out, I was one determined women pushing. lol. I just had gas and air, but stop taking it when they said I could push.

:flower:

I went in hospital at 8:10PM and I was 4cm dilated.. I had my little man at 11:49PM, think I was pushing for about an hour? I cant remember well though, was high on the gas and air!

As for how it felt, it was worse than contractions, the burning was so intense! I only had gas and air for pain relief and when it got to the pushing it was making me' feel sick so I stopped having that too. But yeah, the burning! I had a water birth too and I got cramp in my legs but couldn't move as I had to stay in the water as his head was half way out! I bit my OH very hard twice during the pushing stage, so it was very painful for both of us haha!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->