The tax credits change 16hrs to 24hrs min

Tax credit applications are joint applications my OH pays like £350 tax, last year even though i only work 16 - 24 hours i did pay tax aswell!! and we get £10 a week tax credit, it is a credit to US.

It angers me tbh as I work just under 24 hours a week due to me job sharing. OH doesn't live with me yet but he will do in the near future hopefully and he has filled out every job application there is going within his qualification bracket. He has applied for factory work to care work he is NOT fussy about where he works he just wants to work but this new rule will cripple me. I actually won't be able to afford to work, my hours are set that Aidan goes over his 15 free hours and I have to top it up. I pay my taxes, I pay full rent etc. I do not rely on teh govermemt but when this rule does come into play I will not be able to afford to work so how will that help with the finanical crisis we are in? The only reason I got a job is due to me having qualification, my OH like many others doesn't have any and when you have no qualifications it is incredibly hard to get a job. It's easy to sit there and say "well they should get a job" but in reality it is MUCH harder and believe me my OH is not picky he has done a whole range of jobs in the past and he is desperate for work. x

Sorry but either your oh finds the few hours work a week to make your life feasible or he just won't be able to move in!

He could do anything, it's only a few hours as you've said.

If he can't do that, then you can't have him living there surely, I would definitely making him look after baby though while he is not working so you save up some money that way.

Edit - I can see why it is not possible for him to look after the baby, but there should be an understanding that if he is coming back into the home, it is with enough of a job to not screw you and the baby over... Sorry if that sounds harsh but really, needs must. If your working just under 24 hours, he will only need to do a bit of handiwork, clearing glasses in pubs, etc etc etc to make it work.

You'll just have to to find a way, unfortunately we don't have a choice to not have the changes happen, they have and are happening.

I wish it was as simple as saying he can't move in but at the same time I don't really know how I would explain to my 3 year old that daddy still can't come home. He is struggling not having him here as it is and I don't think I could see the look on his face if I tell him he can't

As I said previously he is looking for jobs but again he recieves no letters for interviews etc. He has handed in countless CV's and job application forms and has recieved a handful of replies saying " We are sorry we cannot offer you this postion". It's not as if he isn't trying x

Could he do a bit of handyman work? Or lawn mowing or something... Fixing cars or working on a market stall doing pack down once a week x

I am really not trying to be obtuse Hun I really really hope you can find a way around things x

Tax credit applications are joint applications my OH pays like £350 tax, last year even though i only work 16 - 24 hours i did pay tax aswell!! and we get £10 a week tax credit, it is a credit to US.

But again, your one of the families that isn't just doing sixteen or twenty four hours a week, so i am utterly confused why you seem to think everything mentioned on this thread is about/against you

Ahh, I think this was one of those that Labour changed so that it's "out of work and claiming benefits" figures looked much better. It all just used to be income support but they then split it so they could make themselves look good. If they call it a "tax credit" it technically isn't a "benefit"

So its a benafit in everything but name?

I think 'income support' in light of the fact you can get tax credits without any income and infact without paying any tax, is actually a much much more appropriate word for it!

But again, your one of the families that isn't just doing sixteen or twenty four hours a week, so i am utterly confused why you seem to think everything mentioned on this thread is about/against you

So not paying tax and yet recieving tax credits

That sort of moots the 'tax credits is your own tax given back to you, not a benefit' point doesnt it...

Im trying to put the point across that people working 24 hours a week do pay tax. And your point is invalid!

There is a bigger picture with tax credits than just this 16/24 week thing!

But seeing as you've decided it has nothing to do with me i'll step out of the thread and leave you all to it.

You only pay tax on 16hrs a week if your on a really high wage...

That maked me cry, oh pays nearly £1000 in tax a month :)

How come you paid tax though as you can earn around £140 a week befor you pay tax unless you earning like £12 an hour 16 hours should more then enough come under that

How come you paid tax though as you can earn around £140 a week befor you pay tax unless you earning like £12 an hour 16 hours should more then enough come under that

Good for your husband!! What exactly is your point though? Trying to belittle me or what? Seriously your attitude is disgusting.

And ive said i work 16 hours and sometimes 24 hours in a week so it took me above the threshold last year.

High earners get taxed more, low earners get taxed less. That's fair. That's the way it should be. I don't think that last comment to Arcadia was particularly necessary :shrug:

Good for your husband!! What exactly is your point though? Trying to belittle me or what? Seriously your attitude is disgusting.

And ive said i work 16 hours and sometimes 24 hours in a week so it took me above the threshold last year.

Wow hold your nickers there it was ment as a bit of humour about how much he loses every month
Nothing else.

I in no way ment to belittle you and im sorry you took it that way.

The second part was just genuin curiousity as normaly unless its a high paying job tax doesnt come into it on 16 hours and even 24 hours tax should only be a few £ a week, I was aking because alit of peiple got put on the wrong tax code last year so paid tax they can get back, I was one of them but I noticed the first pay week and got it ammended.

Please dont jump to conclusion about the referance of my post as nothing was ment by it.

I think emotions are rynning a bit high all round and people are seeing offence when there is none

High earners get taxed more, low earners get taxed less. That's fair. That's the way it should be. I don't think that last comment to Arcadia was particularly necessary :shrug:

Already replied and explained it wasnt anything other then humour against the taxman

I haven't read through all the responses so I'm sorry if this has already been mentioned.

I thought this only applied to new claims?? I currently work 21.5 hours a week and it's seriously not worth looking for a 2nd job for 2.5 hours per week.

It's all well and good people saying "well get more hours"... Have you seen the amount of jobs that are out there? I've asked for more hours at work but come the end of March my place is making budget cuts on wages so that's also not an option.

Why can't the government pick on people that can't be asked to work instead of targeting the ones that do? If they carry on like this then I predict an England where every fucker sits on their arse claiming benefits.. Rewards for the working..YEAH RIGHT!

It angers me tbh as I work just under 24 hours a week due to me job sharing. OH doesn't live with me yet but he will do in the near future hopefully and he has filled out every job application there is going within his qualification bracket. He has applied for factory work to care work he is NOT fussy about where he works he just wants to work but this new rule will cripple me. I actually won't be able to afford to work, my hours are set that Aidan goes over his 15 free hours and I have to top it up. I pay my taxes, I pay full rent etc. I do not rely on teh govermemt but when this rule does come into play I will not be able to afford to work so how will that help with the finanical crisis we are in? The only reason I got a job is due to me having qualification, my OH like many others doesn't have any and when you have no qualifications it is incredibly hard to get a job. It's easy to sit there and say "well they should get a job" but in reality it is MUCH harder and believe me my OH is not picky he has done a whole range of jobs in the past and he is desperate for work. x

Sorry but either your oh finds the few hours work a week to make your life feasible or he just won't be able to move in!

If he can't do that, then you can't have him living there surely, I would definitely making him look after baby though while he is not working so you save up some money that way.

Edit - I can see why it is not possible for him to look after the baby, but there should be an understanding that if he is coming back into the home, it is with enough of a job to not screw you and the baby over... Sorry if that sounds harsh but really, needs must. If your working just under 24 hours, he will only need to do a bit of handiwork, clearing glasses in pubs, etc etc etc to make it work.

You'll just have to to find a way, unfortunately we don't have a choice to not have the changes happen, they have and are happening.

I wish it was as simple as saying he can't move in but at the same time I don't really know how I would explain to my 3 year old that daddy still can't come home. He is struggling not having him here as it is and I don't think I could see the look on his face if I tell him he can't

As I said previously he is looking for jobs but again he recieves no letters for interviews etc. He has handed in countless CV's and job application forms and has recieved a handful of replies saying " We are sorry we cannot offer you this postion". It's not as if he isn't trying x

Could he do a bit of handyman work? Or lawn mowing or something... Fixing cars or working on a market stall doing pack down once a week x

I am really not trying to be obtuse Hun I really really hope you can find a way around things x

Would they class that as hours? As it would be working on demand so if no one demands it then he doesn't work iynwim? It would be great if they counted that as hours x

Yeah, that's being self employed, he will probably have to take more hours in the summer to offset quiet times in the winter, but with a wee bit of a cash injection he could do white van man stuff? house moves, garden clearing etc? X

He doesn't drive but he has done gardening with his step father before, can do manual lifting etc. He also has experiance in the building trade (roofing) he worked for his dad for a while. Hmm I will have to get him to look into that and see how it is done etc x

Sorry to but in but i saw your comment about your oh maybe doing some handyman work etc, if he is on jsa and has been for 6 months and wants to start up his own business they can help him, get him a mentor from someone in the business and he can even apply for a loan to get equipment etc, plus whilst he is starting off he can get enterprise allowance. https://www.dwp.gov.uk/adviser/updates/new-enterprise-allowance/
Just an idea but a friend of mine was in a similar situ to yours when her husband lost his job and found it difficult getting back in work and that was a new start for him. If he is on jsa he can ask his support worker or even the job centre about it and see if he qualifies. The other thing you were saying about handing out his cv's etc, has he got it checked by someone like the careers service to make sure he is selling himself the best he can, they are really good and the job centre can refer you and they will look over it and give him advice. Also re the qualifications, not sure how old he is but you can do adult numeracy and literacy with learn direct online for free which could help him make his cv stand out more. Wish you lots of luck.

Would they class that as hours? As it would be working on demand so if no one demands it then he doesn't work iynwim? It would be great if they counted that as hours x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->