The VBAC Thread

northern_me

Reaction score
Anyone planning a VBAC this time around? Anyone in March/April?

Hey Northern

Spotted on the April thread that you'd started this one. I'm really in two minds about whether to go for vbac or not. The NHS here in the UK are very pro it - in fact they gave me a leaflet about vbac about half an hour after I got out of theatre from having my son!

I have an appointment with a consultant on 9th December after my 20 week scan to discuss it. With DS it was an EMCS due to foetal distress and they tell me I have good chance of vbac success but I'm worried about two things - my age (39 - 40% of people my age end up having a section anyway) and the fact that last time I laboured at home for 8 hours before I went to hospital to find that DS was being strangled by the cord every time I had a contraction, and his heart was slowing. I don't want to go into labour again and worry the same thing is happening.

What's your history, are you a good candidate for vbac?
Xx

Hi,

Very good candidate for a VBAC. Csection was supposed to be due to high blood pressure, although when my new doctor went through my notes it appears it was a c-section of convenience for the doctor!

My doctor is very supportive and we've discussed it at length. She does have a date she would like to book a csection for in case I don't go in labour on my own but I think if I tell her I would like to wait as long as possible she may accommodate me. She is pretty reasonable.

Hi, mind if I join? I had ds via vaginal birth, easy process, took 5 hours from my waters breaking to him entering this world. Then unfortunately with dd labor started at 35 weeks I had a cerclage in n she was in footling position so had an emcs. I m currently almost 11 weeks pg. I will have a cerclage for ic in place hopefully at 13 weeks but doc agreed that we can go for vbac if we take out the cerclage on time (so around 38 weeks). I hated the section with my daughter so I m very keen to go for vb. for some reason doc said I can't get an epidural if we do it which I really don't care about but I m wondering why?? Are there any risks to vbac?? Docs in Greece are very anti vbac, I think my doc is one of the very few ones who would agree to it n I can't help but wonder why everyone else is against. Anyway I m rambling, hope it's ok joining!

I'm planning one! I'll be in late May or early June :)

Hey when is your due date?? Mine is 13th of June but due to getting a cerclage doc reckons bub will come at 38 weeks when we take out the cerclage! Did they tell you anything about epidural??

Hey when is your due date?? Mine is 13th of June but due to getting a cerclage doc reckons bub will come at 38 weeks when we take out the cerclage! Did they tell you anything about epidural??

May 28th. When DS was born, I didn't want pain relief, planned a natural homebirth. I was induced at 33+3, labored until 33+5 with no pain relief on mag sulfate and pit, and then got an epidural right before the c-section.

I don't plan to have one again, unless another section becomes necessary. I plan to go all natural for my vbac :)

Same plan here, hope we can make it! If you don't mind me asking why were you induced so early on?

Miss priss, I had preE too but not until much later.

I just ordered the book Natural Hospital Birth - The Best of Both Worlds. I'm interested to get reading and for OH to get reading too!

hi girls

just checking in, I had my consultant follow up meeting yesterday and we agreed that I will go in at 39 weeks to check positioning and have a sweep if baby is head down and engaged. If baby isn't head down at that stage we will discuss a section. If it is head down and engaged then if I've not gone into labour by 41 weeks I will be induced and go for vbac that way.

I totally forgot about this thread.

I was to the OB yesterday and she checked me because I had a lot of cramping. My cervix is very soft but closed, and baby is totally engaged. She thinks I may go on my own. I have until the week of March 14th to get this happening! If not, she will induce for the VBAC.

Oh great thread!

I'm aiming for a vbac but just found out baby is breech. Hoping baby will turn before it's too late. My previous c-section was due to a breech baby....can't believe it might happen twice, ugh.

Spinning babies is a good resource, and maybe a chiropractor who is skilled in the Webster technique could help. I would suggest starting early doing what you can! Good luck!

Hi girls, how is everyone doing? I am due in 5 days time but went for a sweep two days ago...and they couldn't do it as baby is not engaged and cervix is closed. They will try again at 40+2 but if it's still closed my consultant advises repeat section rather than induction as he doesn't like using prostaglandin to aggressively induce women who have had a previous section. I'm staying open minded about what might happen, would rather avoid the hassle of not driving but what will be will be...!

Could you ask about a foley bulb induction? Might be all the help you need pat 40 weeks...

Could you ask about a foley bulb induction? Might be all the help you need pat 40 weeks...

I hadn't heard of this but have done some googling...wasn't something the consultant raised so maybe my hospital doesn't do it. I will ask the midwife next week. However, the more I read about induced (by any means) vbac the more convinced I am that I should just go for Elcs if I don't go spontaneously by 41 weeks. I would have quite a few of the risk factors for unsuccessful induced vbac by then (being 41 weeks+, advanced maternal age, no previous vaginal deliveries).

Just want baby and me to be safest at the end of the day...
Xx

Love the attitude captain and totally agree! I too really want to have a vbac and I ve been hassling my doc because bub is either footling breech or completely transverse for weeks now and the other day he just flipped on me yelling "do you want a healthy baby or are you only obsessed with delivering naturally????" ...made me feel so bad and selfish... I really hope your bub will just get things going on his/her own soon but if not remember that what's most important is your and the baby's safety!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->