The Weaning Advice & Information Thread

Wobbles

BnB Co-Founder ~ Retired
Reaction score
A support thread for Mums who have questions about weaning their LO's.

:D

I will add some standard information soon to this post! Please continue to use the therad & ask questions.

I have this link saved in my favourites for future use, maybe useful to some of you's :D
https://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/solids.htm

This Annabel Karmel book is bloody brilliant... a must have for all parents

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Annabel-Ka...bs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1203594018&sr=8-1

just remembered Charl i said id send you my copy! ill get right on it :)

Your a gem hun - won't you need it again though?

I agree, thats a great book.. so is Gina Ford(I think) - The little contented book of weaning.

Is the Gina Ford one regimented?

I love all the Annabel Karmel books that we've got. Never used the meal planner but for the recipes :)

Can anyone give me some tips on what to buy when you start weaning?

I seen in boots loads of different gadgets :wacko: next to the weaning foods liek pasta etc

What gadgets do you mean hun?
Only thing you need to begin with is plastic spoons and small dishes

https://www.tommeetippee.co.uk/product/weaning_kit_girls_/
this is quite a nice set, wish i had seen them when i was weaning Jack

When you get on to doing puree etc.. then flexible ice cube trays or small pots with lids are a must

^^^^ that site has loads of stuff from cups to spoons etc.. gives you a good idea, boots do good range of things as well

I dunno - there was loads of differnet stuff :shock: tubs pots some electric items Im sure of it! Just didn't dare look really!

Serioulsy there was alsorts. Alsorts unneeded Im sure.

Do I need a baby blender?

A cheapo hand blender will do the job great
Although i did burn mine out and got a baby blender, but wasn't impressed with it TBH until he was ready for big lumps

If you are doing say apple which goes really soft you can push it through a seive

There is loads of stuff on sale that you really don't need, just a scam LOL

If you look in places like Wilkinsons/matalan and even supermarkets you can get small pots with lids for about a 1/3 of what they sell them for in boots etc... it just doesn't say baby or weaning on them :)

I got my big weaning folder that my HV/family nurse made for me.. not entirely sure what to do though cos I wanted to do something so that everything in it can be seen by people on here. Might type it up bit by bit when I'm bored lol. Any other ideas? x

You could always scan it hun :)

Wobbles in answer to your question the only gadget I'd get is a hand blender (think Asda do them cheap) and a few ice cube trays. Those Tommy Tippee spoons are good.

I haven't bothered with plastic bowls as yet although I suppose I will do when they start feeding themselves more. I just use a cereal bowl. The thing with plastic bowls (if you have a dishwasher) is that they don't wash and dry all that well and they stain. I've got a load of plastic boxes (mostly from takeaways and icecream:blush:) that are handy for if we are going out/away and need to take food with us.

Yeah Wobbles most things are a waste of money, but I have to admit, I find my blender a god send because I can't puree foods by hand in the same way, they get foods into a really smooth paste.
- But we did not buy the blender especially for weaning. Paul had it for his Protein shakes. I use it for lots of things too....It has different options so I can use it for anything from crushing ice, to mixing my yorkshire pud mix etc...

Ive bought this for when i start weaning. It got a bit at the bottom... so I cant make a mess. Touch wood!

https://www.comparestoreprices.co.uk/images/ke/kenwood-hb665.jpg

Was supposed to be 39.99 but half price in currys at £19.99

Ok, my first 'weaning folder' post. Loads more to come when I get a spare few minutes..

Why Wait Until 6 Months?
• Up until 6 months, all the baby’s growth needs are met by breast milk or formula milk.
• By around 6 months, the kidneys are developed enough to cope with solids.
• If solid foods are introduced too early, there is a danger of developing food allergies.
• Young babies have a reflex, where they push their tongue forward. When solids are given too early, they push food out (tongue-thrusting reflex).
• Babies are unable to digest starch until 6 months.

How do I Know my Baby is Ready?​
• Your baby doesn’t last as long between milk feeds.
• Your baby was sleeping through the night and is now waking up again.
• Your baby seems hungry after a milk feed but doesn’t want more milk.
• Your baby has started sucking on their fists and dribbling more.
• Your baby is now six months old and you haven’t started solid foods yet.

Which Foods Should I Choose?​
Start with one vegetable or fruit, then start adding in more flavours. Remove all skin, pips, etc. If you start solids at or near 6 months, you should introduce food quicker than if you start solids earlier. By about 6 months you should be including foods from each of the food groups below everyday;

• Vegetables and fruit – These can be given fresh, frozen, or tinned in water or juice. Boil vegetables and hard fruit in a little water (no salt or sugar) until you can mash them easily with a fork.
• Starchy foods – Potato, sweet potato, porridge, oats, rice.
• Meat and alternatives – These can be boiled in a little water or milk, grilled, or baked in the oven. Don’t add stock or gravy (except baby stock or baby gravy) as it is too salty. You can use mild spices e.g. coriander or cumin.
• Dairy foods – custard, full fat yogurt, fromage frais, cheese.

What Equipment Will be Useful?​
• Steriliser – All bowls, spoons, etc. used for feeding solids to babies need to be sterilised before use.
• Baby spoon – These are softer, smaller and flatter than adult spoons.
• Small bowl – This doesn’t have to be a special baby bowl, but you must be able to sterilise it.
• Fork and sieve – Use one fork to mash food, then press the food through a sieve to get rid of any lumps.
• Ice cube tray and freezer bags – You can put food into ice cube trays and freeze it. Then you can put the frozen cubes of food in the freezer bags.
• Liquidiser/Blender – You can make food using a fork and sieve, but it is quicker with a blender.

Ok, my first 'weaning folder' post. Loads more to come when I get a spare few minutes..

How do I Know my Baby is Ready?​
• Your baby doesn’t last as long between milk feeds.
• Your baby was sleeping through the night and is now waking up again.
• Your baby seems hungry after a milk feed but doesn’t want more milk.
• Your baby has started sucking on their fists and dribbling more.
• Your baby is now six months old and you haven’t started solid foods yet.

So callum is constantly sucking on his fists and dribbling and he is feeding like every couple of hours, hes on hungry baby milk too. He is also waking up for more feeds through the night, was just having one bottle now needs two.

Does this mean that he is gonna need to be put on solids soon? I know with nicole she had to be out on solids at 3 months because she was having a bottle every hour.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->