Things not to say to a premmie mummy - share your stories!

It amazes me how ignorant people are, and how they don't really understand what having a preemie means. In fairness, before I had babies, I didn't realise either, but I atleast had the good sense to keep my mouth shut!!!

Noenatal nurse NICU - "How much did she weigh at birth?"
Me - "1Ib 7ozs!"
Nurse - "That's teeny. Personally I have no idea what that's like - all mine have been big, healthy 9/10Ibers"

Another nurse - "This baby was meant to still be tucked up warm and safe inside your body, instead she's lying in a plastic box on a machine, and exposed to the world far too soon - you can't expect to get away with that scot free!"

Un-bloody-believable!!!!!! But sadly true :(

Don't worry girls. Hold your heads up proud that you fought the NICU battle with dignity and bravery. They can't touch us! x

I'm guilty of saying most of the "inappropriate" things before others get the chance. Of course it was horriffic having Abby so early, but she would have been hoooooooge if she'd gone to term. And it was useful to be able to recover from the C-section. But of course, it is one thing to think these things ourselves and quite another to have others thinking them for us! I see them as the silver lining to a very big cloud. I certainly wouldn't expect other preemie mums to feel the same way and it goes without saying, I'd much rather have had her on or after her due date.

I don't think anyone has been wholly inappropriate but the one thing I did get sick of hearing was "oh, my auntie/sister/neice/friend/neighbour's had a premature baby" and you get the whole story followed by "he's a strapping 6 footer now"

I swear, there must be some genetic link between tall people and premature birth as according to everyone I've spoken to, the preemie they know/had is now over 6ft tall. I think I'm going to suggest Bliss do the research!

lol Foogirl!!!

When Sam was 6 months, he had a strange 'episode' while he was sucking on an apple. We took him to the out of hours doctor, who the moment we mentioned he'd been sucking an apple was like 'he's not old enough!' and swung around to Sam's notes on the computer saying that he was too early to be eating etc etc. When he realised he was 6 months, he was just like '....oh..'

I don't think anyone has been wholly inappropriate but the one thing I did get sick of hearing was "oh, my auntie/sister/neice/friend/neighbour's had a premature baby" and you get the whole story followed by "he's a strapping 6 footer now"

I swear, there must be some genetic link between tall people and premature birth as according to everyone I've spoken to, the preemie they know/had is now over 6ft tall. I think I'm going to suggest Bliss do the research!

I have had a few of these except I have been told they are 5/6/7 and the tallest in the class! To have the giant gene you must have to be born small. Not sure what happened me though as I was only 4lb when born and was a midget at school :rofl:

Hello all, I'm new, got a 25 weeker who we took home for the very first time last night (oh my god!) and just wanted to let you knowm on stumbling across this site, how SO VERY relateable this thread is....

My dental nurse, 2 weeks into having my daughter, I was barely able to speak for blubbing , but had to have an emergency filling , said " Oh bet you're pleased you dont' have so much baby weight to lose!"

Yep, wish I'd had the balls to say "Actually, I'd give another 20 stone to lose if it meant I didn't have to watch my baby in intensive care." Or something . I didn't of course, as I am too polite. But inside I was seething.

But they don't get it do they? They just don't understand what it's like.

And why would they. Sigh....

Oh and I did laugh at the strapping 6 footer comment Foogirl!

It's amazing how many people know babies born at 23 weeks who are now 'perfectly norma;' whatever that means. I feel compelled to tell people it's not just about them getting bigger and weighing more. But they still don't get it. The amount of people obsessed with how much my daughter weighs is unbelievable. Bless em, I think they just don't know what to say.

Hello all, I'm new, got a 25 weeker who we took home for the very first time last night (oh my god!) and just wanted to let you knowm on stumbling across this site, how SO VERY relateable this thread is....
Welcome Angelihelen! Congratulations on your LO and getting them home. Stick around and have a good natter with us.

Oh, and we all go very gooey over the ickle teeny tiny ones so you absolutely must share your story and some photos on the "introduce your preemie" thread. Many of us are feeling very broody!

Oh god, I'm well pissed off now after reading all these posts.. Mrrrrrh, people can be inconsiderate!

1. "You should be damn happy, at least you didn't have to suffer the last weeks of pregnancy"
- Happy?! Why would I be happy? My pregnancy got interrupted, I had to gather up all the strenght within me to be able to transform into a mother 2 months too soon. My body wasn't ready yet, my mind wasn't prepared for it, my home wasn't furnished for a baby. After giving birth to my child she was taken away from me, I didn't get to see her for over 24hours! From that moment onwards, my baby belonged to the hospital, I was the visitor who occasionally go to take that tiny fragile creature in my arms. I would much rather had suffered all the back-and stomach aches, badly slept nights and impatience in the world than watched the poor, tiny child surrounded with these wires and peeping monitors.

2. "She doesn't even look premature"
- What is a premature baby supposed to look like then? Preemies look just like term babies, just smaller.

3. "It's the same change to your life as having a normal baby added to your family, preemie or not. "
- Wow, you really don't know what prematurity brings with it.. It does change your life in a whole different way when you need to be scared every day, wondering how your own child is doing. Never mind the constant running to the hospital and back home again. We pretty much lived in that hospital, in that teeny tiny coffee room. We sat there on that red leather sofa and cried, cried, cried.. If you couldn't find me there, I was sitting next to my wee girl's incubator with my hand gently stroking her little belly. And there too, I just cried. I cried until I ran out of tears. I very much doubt that having a term baby includes all this.. Or are you telling me it does?

4. "My co-worker/friend/godparent/cousin/neighbour had a preemie and now she/he is absolutely fine."
- Am I saying something different then? Of course my child will be "just fine", if only she can hang in there, if she'll survive.

5. "When is she coming home"
- People really should not ask this from a parent that has a preemie still in the hospital. When your child is in the hospital, you know nothing about anything. The hospital staff isn't telling you anything, doesn't guess, estimate or promise. Everything happens a day at a time.

6. "Have you been breastfeeding her/are you still strong enough to try breastfeeding her"
- Oh that pissed me off so much. We struggled so much with the feeding to begin with, and family&friends wouldn't leave me alone about it. Of course I was strong enough to try, of course I tried to breastfeed her. What wouldn't a mother do for her child?!

7. "Is the nosetube still in? It's been there for so long, are they still not taking it out"
- Oh my dear god. Of course the tube was still there, if the poor wee thing can't eat on her own yet! What, should I just have let her die because the tube bothered you? See, it took over 3 weeks for Sophia to learn to eat, until then it was a struggle and she kept falling asleep, crying and turning all cold and blue. She just didn't have enough energy in her to maintain her body temperature whilst eating - had to give up one or the other, hence the tube. It kept my baby alive, that's why it was still there.

8. "But in the end, this went pretty well. You got to recover from the birth whilst your baby was in the hospital"
- Well?! I would rather have recovered at home whilst taking care of my baby than running back and forth between the hospital and the house. That didn't help my recovery, never having time to eat, sleep or rest. I had to walk hundreds of stairs every day and stand by the incubator for most of my days. Does this sound like an easy recovery? .. Exactly.

9. "But surely with modern technology she should be able to come home sooner"
- Well surely modern technology can't affect on her growth. If she simply doesn't have enough energy to eat and hold her body temperature above freezing simultaneously, surely all the machines in the world can't help that. The technology might save you, yes, if you have difficulties breathing like many preemies do. But in our case the modern technology made fuck all difference.

:hugs:Elveneye:hugs:

It's so horrific isn't it.

The things people say.....:dohh:

Elveneye, you have summed up exactly my feelings surrounding some of the things people have said to me.

I had a couple more things this week. My mum's just been in for a hip operation, and I gave her a photo of Sophie to keep beside her bed. The number of nurses who said to her "Oh, she doesn't look like a premature baby" is unreal!

Also, someone the other day said to me that her friend's granddaughter got a tooth the other week. "Hasn't Sophie got one yet?" she said. "Jane's daughter is only a week older than Sophie. If she's got one, I'd have thought Sophie should have one by now as well". I asked if it was going by Sophie's actual age or her corrected age. Yep, you've guessed it, her actual age. She better not say anything about Sophie's developmental milestones compared to Jane's baby! Jane's baby and Sophie are both 7 months, but Sophie should only be 4 months! Big difference. I know some babies are even born with a tooth, but it was just her saying that this baby is just a week older than Sophie and comparing them that made me angry! Sophie will do everything in her own good time!

Hello everyone, I am newbie. I had my little boy William on 25th August, 9 weeks early.

The most awful thing ever said to me was by my Mother in Law, who used to scream "dont drop him" everytime I picked him up.

The other was from a nurse who had come to fetch some milk from me I told her it was in the fridge, she came back witht the milk I had spent ages expressing and said "is this it? he is'nt going to get fat on that"

A doctor also cornered me when I had visitors once by his incubator and said "We are going to start feeding him formula because we are on day 4 and can't wait around for you any more" meaning my breast milk.

Hello everyone, I am newbie. I had my little boy William on 25th August, 9 weeks early.

The most awful thing ever said to me was by my Mother in Law, who used to scream "dont drop him" everytime I picked him up.

The other was from a nurse who had come to fetch some milk from me I told her it was in the fridge, she came back witht the milk I had spent ages expressing and said "is this it? he is'nt going to get fat on that"

A doctor also cornered me when I had visitors once by his incubator and said "We are going to start feeding him formula because we are on day 4 and can't wait around for you any more" meaning my breast milk.

Hi and welcome :) Hope William is doing well xxx

That's shocking. I can't believe the medical staff treated you that way. I'd put in a complaint about that.

My MIL was the same whenever Mr Foo picked up Abby she was "watch her head" :dohh: We'd had 6 fekking weeks watched by trained professionals - I think we knew what we were doing by then!!

:hi: and congratulations! I had this with my milk too, the exact same comment 'is that it?'. That drop took me 4 hours of pumping in tears.

some one told me how distressing my photos of my little girl are - see sig pic - she just looks like a normal baby only small! Dunno what they expect at 12 week early. i was just like well yeah i needed to hear that cos it wasnt distressing for me at all - idiots.

Aw Vicky! Distressing? Thats ridiculous. :nope: shes just a ickle ickle baby!
Emily looks bloody great btw! xxxx

some one told me how distressing my photos of my little girl are - see sig pic - she just looks like a normal baby only small! Dunno what they expect at 12 week early. i was just like well yeah i needed to hear that cos it wasnt distressing for me at all - idiots.

She is just lovely.

Can I also say, I love your blinkie - very funny. It must be quite a conversation piece to have two children with less than 9 months between them! I'd imagine that's quite a rarity!:happydance:

just under 8 month lol! But not many people believe it lol some say "are you sure?" lol - yeah duh i was there for both lol!!!

and thankyou, she is doing amazingly well shes awake lots now and feeding off me

just under 8 month lol! But not many people believe it lol some say "are you sure?" lol - yeah duh i was there for both lol!!!

and thankyou, she is doing amazingly well shes awake lots now and feeding off me

That's excellent! It's great when they have a go for the first time isn't it!

"It must be so easy for you, you don't have to deal the sleep deprivation of having a newborn at home. By the time you bring the baby home the hard part will be over"

Oh ya! You wouldn't believe how well you sleep when your baby is in an incubator 30mins away and there is nothing you can do for him. Toss in the fact you can't even hold you own child and it's a cake walk isn't it!?! (note: dripping with sarcasm) :)

Preemie moms are tough as nails!

We sure are, we have no choice :)

Welcome over deobi

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back