This morning

It did not sound like a last resort to me, it sounded like it was the easiest option that took the least effort. If it was a last resort why did he keep the lock on for 5 months when he stopped crying after three nights?

It made me feel sick TBH, im not against CC for older toddlers but they did not do that. They locked him in his bedroom for 12 hours a night for 5 months. If they were concerned for his safety because he was going in the kitchen put a lock on the kitchen door? They say they tried everything over 6 months, how long were they trying it for? It sounded to me they tried something for a few days gave up and then tried something else.

I work with adults with learning disabilitys and if i did that to a client i would be up for neglect.

Not once did he say they tried to find out why he was waking so much or what he was wanting when he was going in the kitchen?

anyone with learning disabilitys is very different to a 3yr old child with no disabilitys.

what would you do with a client who was getting out of bed constantly at night and being a danger not only to themselves but to the other clients and staff? do you give them heavy sleeping meds, someone in their room all night or both or something else?

I sometimes feel that people on thus site cant put themselves in someone else's shoes.

I would like to think that this didn't take the least amount of effort. I am sure it was harrowing for both parents to listen to their child cry. As Philip Schofield said what is the difference between CIO when your child is 'locked' in a cot and CIO when your child is locked in their room because they no longer sleep in a cot.

This child was not locked in his room permanently, it was for his own safety so he didn't get into danger in the rest of the house when he decided it was not time to sleep but time to explore. There are dangers in every room in the house.

Should they have bolted every single door in the house?? The child would probably have had the same fit of crying if they did that...

I didnt hear the debate, just read the story, but I cannot for the life of me understand why there was no discussion of WHY the child might be getting up 35 times a night. Surely that would be the starting point? Also sounds like a rather badly childproofed house to me.

This is not CC, its CIO on a toddler with imprisonment.

It was a last resort....

I am sure not one parent would make the decision to do this easily.

I only stated what they did as so many are mentioning cc. I dont care for their reasons.

as i understand it with CC you go into the child but do not pick them up just reassure them that you are still there and haven't disappeared off the face of the earth and they stay in their cot and bedroom and cannot get out so you can interpret that as imprisonment and, CIO is where you do not go into them at all and again they stay in their cot and bedroom unable to get out so again you can interpret this as imprisonment also.

why do you not care for their reasons? as I see it they had a damned good reason and weren't just doing it to get a decent nights sleep. would you rather they did it just for fun?

This is not CC, its CIO on a toddler with imprisonment.

Imprisonment is a bit harsh a term imo. Do you lock your front doors at night? For what reason? I imagine quite similar to these parents, to protect yourself, children and possessions. For yours and their safety. Like I previous stated its not something I would do, but as parents we do what we feel is right for our children, what works for your child may not work for theirs, and vice versa. I mentioned CC to draw on my own experiences, not to liken it to their method.

My opinions arnt changing because some are upset with them by the way. I feel I should withdraw from this conversation as it will only go one way. Good day to you all.

It made me feel sick TBH, im not against CC for older toddlers but they did not do that. They locked him in his bedroom for 12 hours a night for 5 months. If they were concerned for his safety because he was going in the kitchen put a lock on the kitchen door? They say they tried everything over 6 months, how long were they trying it for? It sounded to me they tried something for a few days gave up and then tried something else.

I work with adults with learning disabilitys and if i did that to a client i would be up for neglect.

Not once did he say they tried to find out why he was waking so much or what he was wanting when he was going in the kitchen?

anyone with learning disabilitys is very different to a 3yr old child with no disabilitys.

what would you do with a client who was getting out of bed constantly at night and being a danger not only to themselves but to the other clients and staff? do you give them heavy sleeping meds, someone in their room all night or both or something else?

They certainly would not get drugged up and they would not have some one in their room, its 2012 not 1960! It would be looked at why they are getting up, are they scared, hungry, having trouble going to sleep? Then that reason would be worked on. If we could not find out why anything they could be a risk would be locked away so the kitchen and laundry room would be locked and if they got up then they would be redirected back to their room with an explanation that it is night time, if they dont wish to sleep then they can xyz in their room as the others are sleeping.

And an adult with learning disability may not so different to 3 year olds, they may have the same cognitive ability and level of understanding. It all depends on the level if their disability.

I sometimes feel that people on thus site cant put themselves in someone else's shoes.

I would like to think that this didn't take the least amount of effort. I am sure it was harrowing for both parents to listen to their child cry. As Philip Schofield said what is the difference between CIO when your child is 'locked' in a cot and CIO when your child is locked in their room because they no longer sleep in a cot.

This child was not locked in his room permanently, it was for his own safety so he didn't get into danger in the rest of the house when he decided it was not time to sleep but time to explore. There are dangers in every room in the house.

Should they have bolted every single door in the house?? The child would probably have had the same fit of crying if they did that...

Without tumbling down the rabbit hole that is the CIO for and against debate, I would point out that there might not be much difference between the two as both scenarios have a child locked up crying but it doesn't make it less of a cruel thing to do in some people's eyes. Remember a lot of people don't agree with CIO either so saying this is just CIO doesn't make it sit right for some of us.

Oh I understand that completely. I think I was trying to make a point because people are calling it imprisonment. Putting a child in a cot to keep them safe is absolutely no different to locking their door to keep them safe.

But they did not lock the door to keep them safe, the locked the door to stop him from leaving his room, that makes it imprisonment.

But they did not lock the door to keep them safe, the locked the door to stop him from leaving his room, that makes it imprisonment.

Because by leaving his room he was putting himself in danger- going down 2 flights of stairs in the dark? I disagree with you on that one.

You'd be hapoy with your three year old making their way down the stairs playing with dishwashers and having household objects fall onto them then? Is that not a danger?

They did it to keep HIM safe.

If they were doing it for selfish reasons they wouldn't have waited over 6 months before going down that road surely?!?!?!?!

Okay, so I just read the article. First off, I'm now terrified to have a toddler... I thought they were supposed to sleep better than babies :) Okay, just kidding.

For real now... I'm not sure what to think. I do feel for the parents. Sleep deprivation can be all-consuming when you are experiencing it. Being up 35 times per night is excessive. I don't think even the best prepared and realistic parents-to-be imagine they will have that experience. Locking the little boy in the bedroom does seem harsh. I wonder if they had consulted a psychiatrist? The number of wakings seems so extreme that I feel like something else must have been going on. That behavior certainly can't be healthy for the little boy at all.

Hmm.. I agree they could lock the kitchen instead, but depending on the 3 year old 2 flights of stairs could be a danger in themselves.

i am a FIRM believer in "you gotta do what you gotta do"

I think it's disgusting to lock a 3 year old in a room, whatever the reasons. Crying for 3 hours? I don't know how anyone could do that to their kid, regardless of sleep deprivation.

While I don't agree with locking up your child, I get that they felt they had to do it because they believed it was the only way to keep him safe. Fine.

Why then must the child be locked up from 7 to 7? I'm sorry but then they just ecpected the child to play by hinself if he woke up at 5 am? Sleep deprivation is one thing, but goodness sake, how selfish are they that they can't even spend time with their son and play? Surely at that point the parents can't play the I'm too tired and marriage is going to end card.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->