Those of you with high energy dogs...

Suzie1985

Reaction score
How do you manage when you have a LO? I have 2 Siberian Huskies and they are my babies. I would hate them to feel left out once we do have a LO.

They currently get 2 hours of walks per day and really do need that.

How do you all manage?

Suzie
x

well to be fair we don't manage as many walks as b4 :( but once your lo is a couple of months old and your able to get around a bit more, you will prob really enjoy the walks with the dogs? i have a boxer but she has got used to the fact that sometimes we go out and sometimes we don't :( you will just have to play ball indoors when lo is sleeping? or get someone else to take the dogs out? i'm really looking forward to the warmer weather so whilst the kids are at school me lo and tilly can go for walks :) x

I have a young lab, so not quite as energetic as huskies! But we always manage to walk her twice a day, lo always sleeps in her pushchair and the dog trots very well alongside the pushchair! We have been lucky in the lo would only sleep in pushchair!!
She is pretty well trained even though she is so young! She loves lo to and despite her energy is always so calm around her! She makes lo laugh all the time!
It will take some getting used to but it can be done, I enjoyed the fresh air even when lo was very small and we where strict with the dog - in terms of how boistorous she was around lo, right from the start!
At first I would just do however much u can-recover properly first tho otherwise it takes much longer, then you will be able to fit in ur dog walks! X

I just worry how i will manage. I do have my DH but i can imagine it will still be hard. They have so many energy!

Do you prefer using a pram to a sling? (think that's what they are called? lol) x

Hi i also have 2 siberian huskies and i manage just fine, one of them likes to sleep all day and the other likes to be outside for some of the day. The only thing that drives me mad is the hair. What do you feed them as this has an effect on their behaviour? x

Hi i also have 2 siberian huskies and i manage just fine, one of them likes to sleep all day and the other likes to be outside for some of the day. The only thing that drives me mad is the hair. What do you feed them as this has an effect on their behaviour? x

Oh yes the lovely shedding! My youngest is shedding so much at moment.

I feed them Forthglade Chicken and tripe with x

Get a good sling if you plan to baby wear or a good stroller if you don't and your LO will enjoy going on the walks as much as your dogs. The benefit of the sling is that you'll have both arms free.

We have a border collie, and he is mad we walk him everyday 3 times a day, with LO in tow in her pushchair or carrier, she loves it, he loves it. happy baby and happy dog :) plus you shed pregnancy weight so quick!

We have a good off roading pram. But 9 times out of 10 I carry in her in my Mei tai. Specially around the woods. Our German shepherd is very energetic but he understands somedays a walk might not be on the agenda.

I have a border collie who is only 18months himself, so aswell as all his collie energy, he still has all his puppy energy too!

unfortunatly he hasn't had asmuch excersize as he's used to ovr the last few weeks, but he seems to be very understanding! on th occasions that we're not able to go for several hour long runs I just make sure he gets extra mental stimulation by playing hide and seek with his toys in the house, make him fetch various things for me around the house even if I dont want them and reintroduced some training sessions so he's busy learning some nw tricks etc

We got a spaniel puppy when my LO was 5 months old and its been testing at times but I just spend as much quality time with both of them during the day as I can and then when my daughters get home they always have a good play with the puppy. We go out walking every day, its worked out well ... if a little hectic at times :haha:

I have a hungarian pointer and I have a leash that you can connect around your waste and walk with a stroller.

We got a german shepherd when Lo was a few months old, we dont manage nice long walks everyday. But we just make sure the days we cannot walk her she has a good play in the garden and lots of fuss

We have a very hyperactive Jack Russell. He needs to get 3 walks a day, one during the day (about half an hour) one around tea time (about an hour) and one in the evening (half an hour would do but we usually walk him for another hour). Once he's had his walk he sleeps all day though which is good, although I don't know if that'd change once we've got a crying baby in the house!

We're hoping to get him trained to be around babies using my niece / nephew in July when s/he's born. He's great with my other nephews but they're older (8 and 11). I loved growing up with a dog so I'm sure it'll be fine, but it does panic me a bit all the extra work of training a puppy along with looking after a baby! Good to know you ladies have all coped - and so have the dogs!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peanut2024
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->