TMI (The side effects of pregnancy)

Angel1990x

Reaction score
Hello all,

Now, I really do appreciate that this is going to be FAAARRRR too much info for many of you but i need some advice,

Im in the 3rd trimester of my pregnancy now (Due 12th Feb 2015) and i have noticed the worse side effect i am suffering from is .... constipation ...

its awful, it hurts and I'm not terrified of going due to pain and im very sure I'm going to get or have hemaroids from all this straining!!

I've tried to find a pregnancy friendly laxative or stool softener but it seem impossible, everything i find is not suitable for pregnant women and i have tried upping my fluid intake and even gone down the 'Activia yogurt' root (The apparent 'miracle cure') but nothing seems to work.

i am on alot of suplements and taking Iron tablets 3 times a day for my anemia ... so unfortunately thats not helping ...

anyone going through the same thing or have any advise?

Magnesium supplement. It was a lifesaver after my last baby. I had developed severe constipation and was only going 1x every 5-6 days. And straining so hard I actually started developing vision issues. I started taking 250mg magnesium 3x daily. Check with ur Dr, but it should be fine to take.

Ooh fantastic! ! :)
I'll definitely look into this, thank you! X

Prunes. I've gone through a Costco sized bag.

What about drinking a TON of water? That really helps me. It's gotten worse the past few days but I find the upkeep of water helps - and although not healthy a good greasy meal can get you going :p

You could also try hot coffee in the morning the warm liquid stimulates the bowels as well as oatmeal. Grains are great at getting things moving. I had the same problem with dd1. Those iron suppliments are tough! Mh doc told me NO laxatives during pregnancy. Too much of a stimulant he said. Kale is also good for getting things moving. A salad of kale or a kale blueberry smoothie would do.

Mandarin oranges and eating a lot of nuts (walnuts, almonds, and pecans are my favorite) has really helped me.

My life savers with DD were Lactulose - 3x15ml a day and Anusol suppositories to help heal. Towards the end, I was allowed the glycerine ones too. It's not pleasant though and very miserable at times.

I'm not sure about during pregnancy but if you can find a psyllium supplement, or powder that is the kind of fibre your body craves. Double check with a dr though!

You could also try hot coffee in the morning the warm liquid stimulates the bowels as well as oatmeal. Grains are great at getting things moving. I had the same problem with dd1. Those iron suppliments are tough! Mh doc told me NO laxatives during pregnancy. Too much of a stimulant he said. Kale is also good for getting things moving. A salad of kale or a kale blueberry smoothie would do.

So is it wrong that they told me to take mirilax? I feel I've been misinformed on a lot

You can have lactulose as it's softener not a laxative, might take a few days to work and you might have to sit on the loo and just wait,with your feet on a stool or step and see what happens. I do that twice a day if I'm constipated.
And oh my god I made lentil casserole last night which gave us all the shits so I highly recommend that.

Xc

I've heard Colace is safe, maybe talk to your doctor about stool softeners? Otherwise, just lots of fiber, up your vegetable intake, prunes, hot coffee, etc. If there are any foods that tended to loosen things up pre-pregnancy, you could try that. Those tend to vary from person to person, so only you know what they are.

Thank you all for your advise,

unfortunately, my pre - pregnancy routine used to be a hot coffee and a cigarette or two ... thankfully i was strong enough to quit.

i have been advised to take a break from my iron tablets for a short while as my body can not absorb all of it, which has resulted in black and hard stool. Yuk!! :/

I will be trying a few of these methods and i really do thank you all for your help, and for making me feel better knowing I'm not the only woman in the world going through this! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->