To what extent do you clean up after LO at restaurants?

Pink Petals

Reaction score
Just curious what other people do, as my LO makes such a mess of the tray and floor when eating. Obviously you want to do some cleaning up as a courtesy, but do you need to get on hands and knees on the floor and get every crumb?

Typically, I clean up as much as I possibly can (to include: wiping down LO's eating area with a wet napkin, picking up big pieces of food on the floor, and getting another napkin to clean up what crumbs I can). Many times I see parents just leave the entire mess for waitstaff to deal with, which I personally find inconsiderate but that's just me.:flower: I know that servers are often worked very hard in a normal setting, let alone cleaning up after messy toddlers, and that they are typically underappreciated for what they do. My husband was a server in his early 20's, so that might have something to do with it:)

My bff always asks "do you have a broom I can use? My kids made a huge mess" - and the staff always say "no,no don't worry about it." but I imagine they appreciate the offer rather than her just leaving it.

Typically, I clean up as much as I possibly can (to include: wiping down LO's eating area with a wet napkin, picking up big pieces of food on the floor, and getting another napkin to clean up what crumbs I can). Many times I see parents just leave the entire mess for waitstaff to deal with, which I personally find inconsiderate but that's just me.:flower: I know that servers are often worked very hard in a normal setting, let alone cleaning up after messy toddlers, and that they are typically underappreciated for what they do. My husband was a server in his early 20's, so that might have something to do with it:)

This is what we do too. I consider it really rude to both the staff and other diners to just leave it.

I worked in a restaurant for 2 1/2 years, so I tend to clean up as much as I can. I'll stack and combine dishes so they don't have to make so many trips to and from the kitchen, gather all of the trash into a pile to be tossed, and then I wipe up all of the crumbs/spills/etc. If she managed to get anything on the highchair, I'll wipe it down too. And then leave a good tip! :haha:

I've never asked for a broom since they usually sweep even if there isn't much of a mess, but I do apologize.

I pick up the big, obvious messes but I don't get down on the floor to pick up crumbs. I generally just leave a larger tip when we have our LO with us.

I pick up the big stuff on the floor and wipe off the highchair tray, that seems like plenty to me! :)

I clean as much as I can, and have asked for a broom on occasions too. I also always make sure I leave the highchair as I'd wish to find it - nothing worse than a grotty highchair full of food!

We stack the plates together, wipe the high chair tray and pick up and large visible bits of food off the floor. And apologise for the rest of the mes before leaving :)

Recently I had a very brief stint waitressing and once spent a good 10 minutes crawling about on the floor picking up after an incredibly messy family. They didn't even pick up the big bits! Scuffling about under the table scraping up someone else's half chewed food was awful and really signified a new low in my minimum wage job... and this was AFTER I got gravy in my shoe!

We're doing BLW too so I at least understood why there was such carnage. If I'd never heard of that style of feeding I'd honestly think they were animals with no thought or regard for even basic manners. If they'd at least attempted to clean up after themselves it would have been better, so ladies who already do so, thank you.

Anyone else - I urge you to think of your server. They're probably on minimum wage, they probably are under pressure to turn the table over quickly, they probably have lots of other people waiting for their attention who may leave a smaller tip due to the slow service... please please pick up at least the gooey pieces!

Thanks to my experience I tend to go way overboard and leave the area spotless. On Sunday we went for lunch at a coffee place. Our area was far cleaner by the time we left than it was when we arrived!

As much as I can! I try to avoid too much food on the floor in the first place and then pick up/wipe up any that is dropped. I also clean the table and the highchair.

I clean as much as I can but don't go to extremes. I find it really quite rude walking away leaving loads of food lying about but don't want to disturb others eating by climbing about and crawling on the floor lol. I do leave a larger tip if it's bad. Xxx

I will clean up as much as I can. I clean the high chair and pick up all the bits off the floor. She used to make quite a mess so I was on my hands and knees sometimes, haha.

I always try to clean our area up the best I can. I've asked for a broom before, but am always refused, as I think they are not allowed to let you use one. I have had server friends who said they weren't allowed to give out cleaning supplies, as that is supposed to be their job, and could get in trouble for giving out a broom, etc. So I just make do with cleaning up the mess the best I can with napkins and baby wipes.

We recently went to a Mediterranean wraps restaurant, and DS2 made the biggest mess he's ever made before. His wrap was stuffed full of rice, and the wrap kind of fell apart as he was trying to eat it, so rice just fell EVERYWHERE. I felt absolutely awful that he had destroyed the entire surrounding area, so asked for a broom, which they said no to and not to worry about the mess. So I cleaned it up the best I could with napkins. It was a disaster. We left a big tip.

I clean up the big pieces but I am not going to crawl around on the floor for the little pieces. But I always write "sorry about the mess" and leave a good tip for them.

I always tidy up, when my LO was younger and made mess with food I'd always wipe everything and pick up anything on the floor, I always stack the plates and make sure nothing is left on the table it's just the same as I'd do at home x

I try to make it appear as if a child hadn't eaten there. Or come as close as possible! Sticky food off the table and chairs wiped up and crumbs/spills off the floor.

we always pick up the mess on the floor, wipe down the highchair and stack all the left over food.

we often get told by staff not to worry they would do it but i think its rude not to clean up after your own children

I clean the highchair. I tend to pick up food as and when it gets dropped on the floor so no big clean up at the end.

I always stack plates etc. I too used to waitress and other peoples grotty food makes me heave so i try and leave the place presentable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->