TTC 40 plus!! Lets share the ups and downs!

hi Ladies, I love this board, I was cracking up at my desk (at work) at macwooly's posts about the nurse and comments on the best ways to babydance lol...

TOOOOOOOO funny :) definitely lightens the load...

I have been lurking a little bit, but thought I should actually introduce myself before posting too much :D.

I am 44, had DD (15) and DS(12) from a previous marriage. Remarried in 08 to much younger *ahem* man 13 yrs my junior... and we suffered a miscarraige in 09. Pretty much for the past few years it has been NTNP, and now we have decided to seriously try for just one, if we can.

So dh went for sa ... haven't gotten results yet, and I am using this cycle to do my hormones etc..... I started charting last month, and was shocked to see my temp drop at Ovulation. I get mittelschmerz and always avoided doing the dance around then, as it was sometimes painful....but after charting I see that is probably part of our problem :D. We are not doing things at the right time lol.

anyway, I was visited by the :witch: today, so we will carry on to the next month - I hope to concieve before my 45th bday.

I live in Canada, originally from the States.... and would love to be a part of the 'gang'....

Oh and I am a LUTW chick lol.

Welcome, i am sorry for your loss, i am glad you came out of lurkedom lol. Fingers are crossed for a beautiful bfp this cycle for you!!

I guess it is a possibility...just taking it easy for the next 2 weeks until my first appt. They will do an ultrasound, so we will know for sure.

All the beautiful London ladies please stay safe, we hear about everything that is happening, i work for a school and our ground campus is in London, so we are keeping a close eye on our students. Prayers are going up that this ends very soon!!

All the beautiful London ladies please stay safe, we hear about everything that is happening, i work for a school and our ground campus is in London, so we are keeping a close eye on our students. Prayers are going up that this ends very soon!!

Agree 100%.

Hoping any West Midlands ladies are safe too as it is all kicking off around there at the moment there :(

DITTO!!!! GLOWIE - how ARE you feeling?
Rashaa - hello! Sorry for your loss :hugs: and welcome to our thread! Good luck for this cycle x
JJ - great news! That's really good results x
OMM - loving 'lurkdom' what a great word!
AFM - thanks ladies, for your prayers and thoughts. I popped out to post a letter and there are SO many police, if I was a hoodie I'd be going home with my tail between my legs. They only got one shop in my high st and Jasper is barking at everything that goes past the window, so I'm okay. The blitz spirit is here and everyone's chatting to everybody as long as they're over 25! Bit nervous about what the night will bring, but I'm sure it's all fine. Hope the Midlands calms down...bonkers summer madness.

Welcome Rashaa! Glad to see more of us "seasoned" women coming into the fold!

AFM...I got the results from my physical and all of my bloodwork came back perfect. No anemia, thyroid, vitamin D, etc. issues.:happydance: Now that I know I am physically ok, hopefully that BFP is on the horizon for me!:cloud9:

D~

Dyme hope that BFP is with you soon :dust:

Glowie how are you doing?

Reb glad to see there is a huge police presence and hope the night stays quiet :hugs:

it's kicking off in manchester tonight and DF was working there until 7pm but is home now.

Am I the only one in the group not measuring anything? I know when AF last appeared, but I didn't work out my ovulation point, have no ideas how many days dpo I am (I worked that abbreviation out!), certainly not measuring temperature or mucus or hormone levels or anything ... I won't even be testing until my next AF is a week late. I have no idea of what most of you are talking about :rofl:

Maybe I'll start doing all the above when we have been TTC for six months with no joy? :D

Marleysgirl, could be you're the only sane one amongst us..! :headspin:
Dyme - great results, just waiting on mine; got another one to go tomorrow, if the doctor's surgery is still there in the morning...:nope::haha:
Truly, glad your OH is home safe, wish mine was here. I'm gonna hit the high street with my water pistol soon...:ninja::gun::grr::jo: GO HOME HOODIES!

GLOWIE! How are you? x

Am I the only one in the group not measuring anything? I know when AF last appeared, but I didn't work out my ovulation point, have no ideas how many days dpo I am (I worked that abbreviation out!), certainly not measuring temperature or mucus or hormone levels or anything ... I won't even be testing until my next AF is a week late. I have no idea of what most of you are talking about :rofl:

Maybe I'll start doing all the above when we have been TTC for six months with no joy? :D

I never did any of that either. In fact, I didn't test until I was at 35 days because I didn't think I was pregnant. The only think I ever paid attention to was when I was due next.

Oh shut up, police sirens! The hoodies have all buggered off home. Night night x

Glad it has been calmer for you Reb and pray it stays that way :hugs: I've been worrying all day for you :hugs:

Marleysgirl, I really hope you never have to find out what it is like to feel compelled to measure everything, in the vain hope that the one thing you do differently this month may have some bearing on the outcome. Enjoy being blissfully ignorant and pray that it reaps a reward before you have a chance to arm yourself with knowledge and thus, pass the point of no return :flower:

marleysgril yup you are definitely in the minority. The deicsion to ttc after 40 is momentous and has more challenges than can ever be expected. Stories such as cifhwyahhrygd and the like are rare and not the norm. Chances of a natural conception with all timing perfect, all things being perfect, sperm qulaity, cervical mucus etc etc are still only slightly less than a 2% chance. So we grab every tool in the toolkit avaiable to us and use it to maximise our chances. so many people try for so long and then suddenly go oh hell why not, chart and take notice of all their fertility sogns and get that magical bfp. So many women I know have ZERO idea how to get pregnant apart from having sex, most assume having 14 days after their period would be all it took cos they have the "perfect" 28 day cycle - sooooooo wrong. Infact I had a "perfect" 28 day for a while before my miscarriage sent me off the rails. BUT I ovulated on cd13 with a 15 day LP so if I waited until cd14 I would NEVER get pregnant as the bus would have left the stop! So unless you are having sex every day or every other day then it's the only way you can make sure you cath that tiny window of opportunity for our little old eggies to get ravaged by a spermy. quality of our eggs may mean that our egg only lives for maybe 6 hours after ovulation so those spermies HAVE to be rady and waiting and they need about 12 hours once released to get themselves ready too so if really is a freakin miracle that anyone gets pregnant let alone us old chooks!!

now this post was not meant to freak you out but to say be realistic and ask how much you wanna leave it to chance when our opportunity is such a slim one at this stage of our life. Yes we all read the great stories of pregnancies well into peoples 40s but don't let that make you complacent.

ok lecture over!!

marleysgril yup you are definitely in the minority. The deicsion to ttc after 40 is momentous and has more challenges than can ever be expected. Stories such as cifhwyahhrygd and the like are rare and not the norm. Chances of a natural conception with all timing perfect, all things being perfect, sperm qulaity, cervical mucus etc etc are still only slightly less than a 2% chance. So we grab every tool in the toolkit avaiable to us and use it to maximise our chances. so many people try for so long and then suddenly go oh hell why not, chart and take notice of all their fertility sogns and get that magical bfp. So many women I know have ZERO idea how to get pregnant apart from having sex, most assume having 14 days after their period would be all it took cos they have the "perfect" 28 day cycle - sooooooo wrong. Infact I had a "perfect" 28 day for a while before my miscarriage sent me off the rails. BUT I ovulated on cd13 with a 15 day LP so if I waited until cd14 I would NEVER get pregnant as the bus would have left the stop! So unless you are having sex every day or every other day then it's the only way you can make sure you cath that tiny window of opportunity for our little old eggies to get ravaged by a spermy. quality of our eggs may mean that our egg only lives for maybe 6 hours after ovulation so those spermies HAVE to be rady and waiting and they need about 12 hours once released to get themselves ready too so if really is a freakin miracle that anyone gets pregnant let alone us old chooks!!

now this post was not meant to freak you out but to say be realistic and ask how much you wanna leave it to chance when our opportunity is such a slim one at this stage of our life. Yes we all read the great stories of pregnancies well into peoples 40s but don't let that make you complacent.

ok lecture over!!

This is really interesting what you say about the egg possibly living for only 6 hours, not even 12! Like you, with my DS I conceived him at 39 and he was born when I was 40. I clearly had no fertility problems, thank God, and conceived with comparative ease. Fast forward 2 years and we decided to try again. Mild panic when I read on the internet that ttc after 42 is a very different story as fertility declines massively from that age. Delighted to find myself pregnant on only my second cycle of charting (though tried for 6 months on my own before that). Like you (Twinny!) my cycle was textbook until my mc last November, very different story these days...... I had been puzzled why we haven't been successful since then as I am still ovulating and bd is still generally well timed. I figured that, ok, I may have fewer eggs but why isn't the one that's released getting fertilised?! Your explanation that the egg is not only older, but also lives for a shorter time explains this. Timing and symptom spotting for ovulation is even more important than it was before!

Marleysgirl, hope we don't sound too doom and gloom to quash your enthusiasm and hope, but this is NOT easy and even if you've done it before with consummate ease, there are no guarantees; Miss C and I know that to our cost x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->