uhh... breastfeeding an 8 year old??

This was part of a documentary on tv a while back about mothers that breastfeed older children. I remember this little girl because they were interviewing her and she said 'i don't want to stop breastfeeding, i can't wait until i get boobies because then I can breastfeed myself' I found this a bit weird :nope:

The whole naming her mom's boobs and drawing pictures of them is odd as well...

This was part of a documentary on tv a while back about mothers that breastfeed older children. I remember this little girl because they were interviewing her and she said 'i don't want to stop breastfeeding, i can't wait until i get boobies because then I can breastfeed myself' I found this a bit weird :nope:
yeah... that's where in MY opinion the lines are crossed.

It's one of those topics that come up time and time again ...funnily enough locked time and time again :lol: but for now I have moved this over to the News & Debates forum giving a little freedom to talk about the different opinions.

Please stay constructive.

It's one of those topics that come up time and time again ...funnily enough locked time and time again :lol: but for now I have moved this over to the News & Debates forum giving a little freedom to talk about the different opinions.

Please stay constructive.

Thanks for moving it. Totally forgot about the new "debates" section :blush:

Oh it's fine hun even we were split if to move it or not, just prefer to confirm it's been moved and why.

x

I find it a little odd aswell, its totally not for me and tbh if my mum told me when I was 20 she breastfed me to 8years old id be a little disturbed! but thats just me, if thats what she wants then its not affecting me or my life in anyway so she can crack at it.

Hmmm Find it weird really and I BF all my 4 children. I think it is more for mums benefit than the childs. I have an 8 year old and she likes to be as independent from me as possible. Why not express it into a cup. Hey Ho takes all sorts

You know, when I first seen this, I though, ah, so what?

But then someone made the comment of girls having 'boyfriends' about that age, and it made me think of my little sister.

My little sister is 7 , and has a lil boyfriend , and at 7 year old, she is well aware of breasts being used as a)natural source of milk (because of me expressing for Alex) but b) also as a sexual thing.

I know her view already - that she's way too old for that, and she'd tell you.

So, on second thoughts, I'm not so sure anymore. I couldnt even start to imagine my mum still breastfeeding her. Or my sister even allowing it!

Oh no, not this again!

I see no problem with her child still being breastfed :shrug: Its good for her, theyre both happy.. whats the problem?

i thought that once adult teeth came in, which some kids start getting them around that age, they wouldn't be able to suckle anymore?

more power to any mother that wants to express and give the milk to her child but i do think its a bit odd to have a pre-teen on the breast :s.

The girl in the documentary was actually losing her ability to breastfeed. She was a bit upset at this but her mum explained she was becoming a big girl etc etc.. she knew she would have to stop soon :shrug:

to be honest i think it's a pretty pathetic debate topic. fair enough things with actual importance but in this case... the kid wants it... the mum wants it... its actually pretty damn healthy...... who are we to judge what a family does to keep a special bond and make sure the kids getting a good source of nutrients etc!

I don't really think ist wrong

But if my child was that age I would express. I personally wouldn't feel comfortable with my 8 year ikd feeding off me
xx

I think its really odd

Out of interest does anyone know how long early humans bf for

Before I BF'd I found this a little weird and thought she should have expressed. As I have continued I no longer get the big deal. I always said id stop at around 2 but I dont think Ive have a problem continuing. further tbh

I am very self conscious though so would perhaps prefer to feed indoors and express for outdoor consumption. Thats just me. There is perhaps a reason why a child loses the sucking reflex at age 7 - nature telling us something?

It seems that neither one wants the 'baby phase' to stop.
At what age would it become an issue if she were to continue to breast feed? 10? 12? 14?
Also, would peoples opinions on the matter be different if it were a little boy?

I think it's lovely hearing the daughter that breastfed for 5 years talking about how much she liked it. They seem like bright little girls. It's no one's business how long people want to feed their LOs. I can't imagine what people must say to this woman though. I already get comments and my daughter is only 1. :wacko:

Hmmm! I do think it's a personal decision and that they shouldn't be judged for it - however I do find it a little odd myself. At 8 she doesn't need to feed from her Mums breasts, I guess it's a comfort thing? I could understand perhaps if her Mum expressed for the child but I think she should have been weaned off the breast by that age.

I don't know...but wouldn't it be quite hard to express when your child got to that age?? Because there wouldn't be as much milk etc.??

It's fair enough if they both still want to carry on, and it's better for her than cow's milk (which is completely unnatural, yet is the social norm!). However...with the society we live in now, I wonder if there will be any negative effects on her later in life when she starts to view breasts as a sexual thing, or when other people do? Hopefully she would be strong enough to not be fussed, but would be interested to know if it did have any negative effects.

Hmmm! I do think it's a personal decision and that they shouldn't be judged for it - however I do find it a little odd myself. At 8 she doesn't need to feed from her Mums breasts, I guess it's a comfort thing? I could understand perhaps if her Mum expressed for the child but I think she should have been weaned off the breast by that age.

Eh? Its still good for humans no matter the age. I don't *need* to feed amelie at 19 months, and even babys who are weaned don't *need* formula or breastmilk as they eat food.:shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
over35tryin
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->