uhh... breastfeeding an 8 year old??

It seems that neither one wants the 'baby phase' to stop.
At what age would it become an issue if she were to continue to breast feed? 10? 12? 14?
Also, would peoples opinions on the matter be different if it were a little boy?

My opinion wouldnt change. Breastfeeding isn't sexual in the slightest so I don't see why it would matter if it was a little girl or boy.

Before the invention of formula this was ok to do , it was expectable and the reason its not now is because breasts are sexual objects and there is formula now. I do think if anyone finds breastfeeding weird because of a child age is weird itself. They are for humans to feed off just like cows, goats and even dogs feed their young. from a babies birth and before people seem to have a problem with breastfeeding so its on a whole this scale not just older children. I get jaws hitting the floor because I breastfeed an 18 month old and get asked why I dont give him a bottle and formula, why should I? its just to please people who have a problem with it when mum and child dont.

I see no problem with this, mum and child are happy it is expectable in my eyes,. If there was a group going about who found formula feeding unacceptable at any age there would be a bigger up roar. Something thats done for thousands of years seems to be renown less about now than something that was created 100 years ago thats more excepted.

Do animals do extended bfeeding after weaning

Extended breastfeeding is something us humans invented its not extended its just breastfeeding. And what do you mean do animals do it? well they dont use other animals milk in fake receptacles to feed their young.

but once they are weaned do they continue to feed the young do they?

Im only asking cos I am interested

I have no idea what stage animals stop at it would be self wean. I must google that. I say it would be very different from the length of a humans. Principles of feeding all the same but They do grow a lot quicker than we do.

To be honest this subject gets dragged up over and over. My opinion is that when a child reaches the age when they can do things for themselves like dress, use the toilet they shouldnt still be on the breast. Women who formula feed get slated for not weaning their child of a teat, yet its ok for a child to still find comfort from a nipple? This poor child will see this clip in 10 years time and be traumatised. Im all for young kids getting the benefits of breast milk for aslong as possible, but expressing is a much better way IMO.

Maybe that child will not be traumatised but except breastfeeding unlike so many. And as this threads shows its breatsfeeding mums getting slated for contuuing to feed not formula mums. Though I see your point it works both ways here but it isnt a competition.

I accept breastfeeding, nothing can come close ( nutrients wise ) You expect kids to understand that though, at the age of 8 you do see boobies as " rude " things, unless you educate your child on the benefits of breastfeeding before this age, the kid will get teased or at the very least, called a big baby.

How would an 8 year old know what rude things boobs where? thats not teaching kids breatsfeeding is normal at all. Again perhaps normalising breastfeeding among younger kids will make it more normal and show what the function of breasts are for.

I agree with you, kids should be better educated in breastfeeding. And I know my cousin and his friends who are 7 all see boobs as " rudey " parts. Thats just kids these days.

Thats the start of people thinking breasts are rude things though. I hope one day they will know they arnt just that. even at that age I didnt even know what breastfeeding was in fact when I was pregnant I found out breasts fed babies as no one I know does it its taboo where I am.

I agree with you Dragonfly, Elephants take a long time to mature so maybe they Bf for longer

Women who formula feed get slated for not weaning their child of a teat, yet its ok for a child to still find comfort from a nipple?

teats and nipples are very different. formula doesn't give many benefits after a child turns one that the child cannot get from food and drink. breast milk has tons of extra nutritional benefits no matter what age you are. also teats on bottles are bad for the teeth in two ways, 1. the way most are shaped are bad for teeth growth and 2. because with bottles the milk ends up sitting in the mouth more and can damage the teeth. the only reason there is for not continuing breastfeeding is along the lines of 'OMGS DISGUSTING! POOR KID! OMG!' lol

I guess we will just wait and see what this girl really says in 10 years or so from now ;)

I don't think that she will look back on it and be disgusted like some people are by it. She has a better attitude to breasts and breastfeeding than that. Would I ever feed a child for that long, no. But as long as there is nothing more to this than bonding and feeding her child then how can it be wrong

i agree, i dont think she'll be traumatised at all by it. i think she'll have fond memories of special cuddles she had with her mum.

lol she'll probably feel proud that she was obviously more educated about breastfeeding at 8 years old than some women are in a lifetime

Sometimes my son sticks his hand down womans tops that hold him and they think its sexual, and he is dirty boy for doing it. Why is it that people automatically think children will see breasts as sexual having not even learned what the word sex means? children are born innocent not with some inbuilt subscription to playboy magazine for toddlers.

Women who formula feed get slated for not weaning their child of a teat, yet its ok for a child to still find comfort from a nipple?

teats and nipples are very different. formula doesn't give many benefits after a child turns one that the child cannot get from food and drink. breast milk has tons of extra nutritional benefits no matter what age you are. also teats on bottles are bad for the teeth in two ways, 1. the way most are shaped are bad for teeth growth and 2. because with bottles the milk ends up sitting in the mouth more and can damage the teeth. the only reason there is for not continuing breastfeeding is along the lines of 'OMGS DISGUSTING! POOR KID! OMG!' lol

Can I just point out even when a bottle is taken away from a child 9/10 times they still have comfort in the form of a dummy the only difference is a nipple is a natural comfort. Either way babies/children have a natural sucking reflex that they seem to find comfort in be it a natural or artificial comforter

some inbuilt subscription to playboy magazine for toddlers.

:rofl:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
over35tryin
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->