UK - Can someone please explain?

Thanks His. unfortunately because of my location which is sort of....disconnected I have a choice of hospitals but the midwife covers both. Don't get me wrong she absolutely seems like the kind of woman I would want around for the birth itself, she's supportive while still being pretty no-nonsense, I just think growing up with a different kind of healthcare system sometimes makes the nhs a little tough to get used to.

I don't think the midwife you get will be there at your birth as she's probably a community midwife (and you want to give birth at the hospital?)

I asked mine and she said she just looks after me and and I get who I get at the hospital. Not sure if I'm impressed yet but it's just the way the NHS works.

Yes you'll have a community midwife that will see you throughout your pregnancy and again for a week to 10 days at home after the birth. But there are different midwives at your hospital or birthing centre. This was completely new to me as well first time around as I'm from Canada and it's all very medical, but my first experience was fantastic. I think the midwife system is wonderful and much more relaxed. A doctor will always be called in during the delivery if need be.

Thanks all. My midwife is actually based at the hospital she just does clinic days for her..I dunno patients? Sounds wrong because we're not sick but you get my drift.

Regardless I don't really care if she is or isn't with me on the day I just meant I think she's probably a very good midwife, I'm the one who's loopy. :wacko:

Dropping in from TTC :wave: One thing you might notice the difference with is the rooms. Watching British one born every minute versus the one from the US the difference is quite noticeable!! The American ones (on that show at least) look like opulent luxury compared to the British ones :) I know in the US they are very expensive, which explains the difference, but still, it's crazy!

I did really enjoy my experience at St Thomas' hospital in London though and couldn't fault it. I also enjoyed my wall to wall window view of South London as I was labouring and my view of the Thames as I was recovering on the post natal ward. It all seemed too good to be true!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->