Underhand tactics - formula companies

Status
Not open for further replies.
it does play in your head, once you have to think of formula you will think of something you have seen an ad for somewhere and not even realise it. Its flashing there, you may ignore it but you are aware of it, later on you will think of it without even knowing it sometimes. some things that dont interest me I would ignore but later on if someone where to ask I would suddenly say "yeah I seen somewhere an add for that" then go and find out more.

But that's just you, not all people. It is easy to ignore adverts when you mute the button when they come on. I did not know any formula's when I was pregnant, as the majority of people around me BF and my Mum BF my younger sister. I was obviously aware that formula existed but didn't think I would be using it so didn't research it until my BF'ing friend recommended it.

That's what I am trying to say. Not everyone gets taken in by advertising. Some do, some don't. Some will call the helpline, some won't. I personally would read the label and if I was still unsure I would ask a friend or come on here for advice, but I am aware that is not the case for everyone.

Why is it just me? you think I am alone in remembering where I seen an ad at a later date when needing it? not just about formula by the way.

Why is it just me? you think I am alone in remembering where I seen an ad at a later date when needing it? not just about formula by the way.

It isn't just you!

Well companies hire other companies to run their advertising campaigns.
To make an effective ad campaign you must know the psychology of people, especially the group you are trying to market to. You use colours, words, etc that evoke emotion. There are campaigns so effective they don't even need a logo in their adverts. They associate something like a song or colour in a campaign and then you associate that song or color w/the company later without even realizing it, without needing to see their advert.

People in general can usually match thousands of corporate logos to their companies but if asked about say, plant species can only name a handful.

Adverts play into our lives in a way that we don't even realize and that's exactly what's effective about them.

As much as I'd like to think I'm not effected by adverts when I look at my shopping cart I know different.

About the studies of consumer behavior: https://www.consumerpsychologist.com/

Examples:

Social marketing involves getting ideas across to consumers rather than selling something.

The most obvious is for marketing strategy—i.e., for making better marketing campaigns. For example, by understanding that consumers are more receptive to food advertising when they are hungry, we learn to schedule snack advertisements late in the afternoon.

No, it isn't just you. Loads of people are influenced and remember adverts. I was just making the point that some people aren't!

No, it isn't just you. Loads of people are influenced and remember adverts. I was just making the point that some people aren't!

by saying some are would automatically mean some arnt I thought that went without saying. I am strongly influence by chocolate adverts :haha:

by saying some are would automatically mean some arnt I thought that went without saying. I am strongly influence by chocolate adverts :haha:

I am lost with what you are trying to say here???

I was just making the point earlier that I wasn't influenced by formula adverts. I thought it was relevant to the discussion. Just as you say you are influenced by ads, I am equally entiitled to make my point to say I don't feel I am as I never watch them.

I am more influenced by emails I get from Debenhams etc advertising %'s off than ads on TV.

I was just making the point earlier that I wasn't influenced by formula adverts. I thought it was relevant to the discussion. Just as you say you are influenced by ads, I am equally entiitled to make my point to say I don't feel I am as I never watch them.

I am more influenced by emails I get from Debenhams etc advertising %'s off than ads on TV.

Same as you only that some are influenced. I didnt say you where not entitled? I dont get what the defensive is about here we where just discussing from both sides. Nothing else really to discuss on that level is there. :shrug:

Same as you only that some are influenced. I didnt say you where not entitled? I dont get what the defensive is about here we where just discussing from both sides. Nothing else really to discuss on that level is there. :shrug:

I am not defensive, I just didn't understand what you were trying to say. I get it now. And I agree, some people are influenced, some are not.

As I said, emails are the worst thing for me. I am so easily influenced into purchasing on an online sale, due to an email whereas they could advertise it on TV 10 times in a row and I wouldn't even notice!

What surprised me loads was that midwives in the hospital had never heard about Hipp Organic formula..and it is hardly advertised on TV, especially if you compare to Cow & Gate and Aptamil! Makes sense, huh?

What surprised me loads was that midwives in the hospital had never heard about Hipp Organic formula..and it is hardly advertised on TV, especially if you compare to Cow & Gate and Aptamil! Makes sense, huh?

Yes. I would be interested to know if there is an incentive for a hospital to use a certain formula?

Yes. I would be interested to know if there is an incentive for a hospital to use a certain formula?

Hmm, maybe there is, but the point was that they didn't even know it and they are professionals who work with babies every day, you would think they should know! Just shows how strong advertising is!
Feeling bad for Hipp now, hahaha... :haha:

Hipp sent me a really nice blankie toy. And had the best list of things you need to prepare for a new arrival. And a sachet of fennel tea. Oh, and a milestone calendar!

Funnily enough, if i switched to formula that's the one i'd use.

I never got the blanki toy but i did get fennel tea, loads of spoons, bibs, weaning bowl, follow on milk and fridge magnets. follow on milk never used. I think there was baby rice in there.

I got some stuff from hipp but nothing exciting! We had formula for baby rice or something and did and will only get sma as it's the only one that doesn't have fish oil in. We're veggie but even so I just can't get my head around a BM substitute that contains fish oil!

I got some stuff from hipp but nothing exciting! We had formula for baby rice or something and did and will only get sma as it's the only one that doesn't have fish oil in. We're veggie but even so I just can't get my head around a BM substitute that contains fish oil!

I was cooking my other half noodles pearlier and noticed on the pack it said suitable for vegan and vegetarian when they where chicken flavour? sorry off topic but weird.

Well, I got my Aptamil baby club pack today - with the free polar bear. Also in the pack was a book on baby nutrition and feeding. On the lip of the folder there is an ad. It reads:

'leading research into infant nutrition

Our team of paediatricians, nutritionists and scientists has led the way in the development of infant nutrition for over 50 years. Today, we continue to develop unique formulas that help you give your baby the right balance of nutrition should you decide to move on from breastfeeding.'

Underneath is a graphic containing all of their infant formulas, including Stage 1 (First Milk) and Stage 2 (Hungry baby Milk).

The BF disclaimer is in much smaller print on the back and the rest of the pack is very much non formula specific.

Do any of you think this 'advert' violates the ban on advertising?

Well, I got my Aptamil baby club pack today - with the free polar bear. Also in the pack was a book on baby nutrition and feeding. On the lip of the folder there is an ad. It reads:

'leading research into infant nutrition

Our team of paediatricians, nutritionists and scientists has led the way in the development of infant nutrition for over 50 years. Today, we continue to develop unique formulas that help you give your baby the right balance of nutrition should you decide to move on from breastfeeding.'

Underneath is a graphic containing all of their infant formulas, including Stage 1 (First Milk) and Stage 2 (Hungry baby Milk).

The BF disclaimer is in much smaller print on the back and the rest of the pack is very much non formula specific.

Do any of you think this 'advert' violates the ban on advertising?

If they are advertising stage 1 formula, then it is clearly breaking the law, if I understand everything correctly!

Is it an advert when it is on their own packaging? I suspect that doesn't count.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
over35tryin
Back