"Usual milk?"

Bec L

Proud mum to 2 girls/1boy
Reaction score
I normally buy Poppy cereal which is made up with water, but I picked the wrong one up and it says to make with their 'usual milk.' Poppy's usual milk is breastmilk and I do have some stored in the freezer, but do you think I should now try her with full fat cows milk instead?

You can try and see if it agrees with her ..shes old enough :)

I think they can have cows milk in cereal from 6 months but I have never used it. I always use her formula milk but you could try and see. xx

They shouldn't have cows milk this early, the only things its ok in is like cheese, yogurt...things prepared with it, cooked with it in there, not adding plain milk to some cereal...atleast that's how it is here. They can't have that until 12mo, its too hard for them to digest when it hasn't been processed down in some way like cooking

They CAN have cows milk in cereal , doctors recomend this as it takes a while for there lil bodies to get used to it so from 6 months on till 12 months then they will be ready ..some may not ..

I think yogurt or cheese is way more hard to digest then regular cows milk , its more of a personal choice ..I can say thought it will not hurt to try and see if your LO like it .

To be honest, my h/v did tell me a couple of weeks ago to start giving her Weetabix and cows milk but I thought I'd hold off for a bit longer. Last thing I want to do is make her poorly but I might give it a go. Maybe I should try it in something cooked first. xx

usual milk, means usual milk. If it meant cows milk then it would say that. If you're BFing then express and use some of that. If you're FF then use that. :) There is a debate on when to start babies on cow's milk so I'd talk to your HV first.

I agree with Rafwife. I used BM. Poppy's 'usual' milk is BM and I thought at 6 months if it wasnt BM it would be formula.

Whatever you are comfortable with. You can express, or you can use formula or a bit of cows milk. Whatever you wish! She is old enough for any.

Thanks everyone. I think I will stick with breastmilk for now. My h/v also told me that she should be on meat and fish by now, and my instincts tell me to wait a little longer before introuducing those too - sometimes you need to take their advice with a pinch of salt I guess :) xx

These HVs dont seem to sing from the same hymn sheet do they - no wonder we are all confused.....

I thought regular cows milk was from 1 year - I appreciate that formula IS cow's milk too but it's been altered to suit babies or surely there would be no need for it at all??

Who knows eh Bec?? :dohh:

x

These HVs dont seem to sing from the same hymn sheet do they - no wonder we are all confused.....

I thought regular cows milk was from 1 year - I appreciate that formula IS cow's milk too but it's been altered to suit babies or surely there would be no need for it at all??

x

Not me that's for sure!!
I take it it's best not to use cows milk for cooking with either then - for cauli cheese etc?

You're allowed cows milk in food from 6 months, but they still need their milk feeds as BM (or formula) to get all the things they need untill they're eating enough to get all the nutrition they need from food x

(Hope that made sense, I'm knackered!!)

I know these cereals say use the 'usual milk', but i have never been able to express enough off and i didn't want to give her formula so i just mixed it up with boiled water.

So much easier using water.

x

Not me that's for sure!!
I take it it's best not to use cows milk for cooking with either then - for cauli cheese etc?

You can use cows milk to cook with and mix with their food. They shouldn't have it as a drink yet that's all babe xx

You're allowed cows milk in food from 6 months, but they still need their milk feeds as BM (or formula) to get all the things they need untill they're eating enough to get all the nutrition they need from food x

(Hope that made sense, I'm knackered!!)

I agree with this but obviously, whatever you feel is best for Pops, Bec. x

Yeah to cook is fine, but you don't cook the cereal so that's why I said no on that one. In some foods is fine but not when its "raw" not cooked again in anyway. Here is a good article about why to wait for whole milk until 12mo

https://wholesomebabyfood.com/milkforbaby.htm

And then this explains a bit of why things like yogurt or cheese are ok while whole milkisn't
https://wholesomebabyfood.com/tipYogurt.htm

I hope that helps a bit :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"