**Waiting and Waiting...2018 Mommies To Be! <3**

Ugh lol its soo frustrating not knowing how it's going to play out isn't it? Thank you :flower:

Kalon - Been a couple of days since you said it.. Okay like four days, but wanted to say sorry the house you wanted is pending sale! I'm so afraid of that happening to me. We went and looked at one and although I like it in a lot of ways I wouldn't care if someone snagged it. There is another we're planning on looking at here soon I hope. I have a feeling I'll be upset if this one sells out from under us. It's in a really nice neighborhood and has a fenced in back yard which makes me excited.

We're also not looking for a home that we plan on staying in for a super long time. Any house we get we're going to outgrow. I just want something with enough room for the two boys at least and hopefully enough for a third child for the early years. I definitely need to get something. I'm losing my mind in this apartment!

Kalon - I'm sorry to hear about the house :( We are 1.5 years away from buying a house, but I stalk my favourites anyway and always feel kind of sad when they sell. I can imagine how much worse it must feel when you are actually about to buy. Hopefully another one comes along soon!

AliJo - how big is your apartment? If we have a baby sometimes next winter/spring as planned we'll have a few months in our apartment with baby before being able to move to a house. I keep wondering how to manage in a smaller space. Any tips?

Hello and welcome to the new ladies! :wave: :flower:
I think that I got everyone's information correct in the list in the second post on the 1st page. Please let me know if you would like to add or change anything. :D

Thank you for all of the sympathy about the house ladies! It's still pending sale and the for sale sign is still in the yard and another one I liked but is currently out of our budget was pending sale for a while and is now listed as being "for sale" again so who knows, maybe whoever is considering buying it will back out. :shrug:
We're not really impatient to buy right now, we just really wanted that particular house. We're more than happy to wait, become more financially stable, and find another house that has the potential to be just as amazing, or maybe we'll build our dream home. This at least allows me to still keep my delusional fantasy about fixing up a gorgeous Victorian that has been for sale in another town 15 minutes away for ages. :haha:

The cloth diaper brands I have currently are:

Softbums (Echo and Omni shells and both drytouch and bamboo pods)
Applecheeks (1 size 1 envelope cover)
Fuzzibunz (perfect size, mostly mediums and 1 large, not the one size)
An unbranded pocket diaper, probably from China
Thirsties (1 hook and loop large size cover)
Rumparooz (1 one size snap cover)
Blissful Booty (1 one size hook and loop pocket diaper)
Rock-a-Bums (1 one size 5 in 1 diaper)
Charlie Banana (small pocket diapers)
Happy Flute (heavy wetter All-in-1s, maybe charcoal bamboo?)
Some unbranded preemie/newborn prefolds that I just pad fold into covers or pockets since they don't fit my kids as prefolds.

So far my favorites by far are the Softbums and I also really like the Applecheeks. I'm not the biggest fan of the rest and probably won't keep them in my stash for long, just until I have enough other diapers that I need to downsize my stash. The brands I'm most interested in trying are:

GroVia
Blueberry
Bum Genius
Smart Bottoms
Best Bottoms
Rumparooz (I really want to try their other types of diapers since all I have is one cover)

For anyone wanting to try cloth I'm more than happy to help alleviate any time and stress that I can! I did so much research and convincing DH for 3 years before finally getting to do it. I'm going to start by saying that I LOVE it! I really regret not pushing DH harder on the matter after moving here and getting our own washer and dryer around DS's 1st birthday.

1. The first step is to test your water. Find a water strip that says "general hardness" or "total hardness". Avoid the free Whirlpool strips or Water Boss as they are inaccurate.

2. Once you determine the hardness of your water you will need to figure out a good wash routine for your diapers based on your hardness level. For example my hardness level ranges from hard to very hard depending on water temperature so I use Tide Original Power detergent and Arm and Hammer Super Washing Soda. For a small load I do cold water, line 1 Tide, and 1/2 cup of Arm and Hammer in the prewash and hot water, line 3, and 1/2 cup of Arm and Hammer in my main wash. For a medium load I do cold water, line 2 Tide, and 3/4 cup Arm and Hammer in the prewash and hot water, line 4 Tide, and 3/4 cup Arm and Hammer in the main wash. I recommend visiting Fluff Love University's website to learn more about how to do your diaper laundry with your type of machine. I also recommend line/air drying your diapers as they will last a lot longer than if you put them in the dryer.

3. You will need to test your water for iron hardness. The easiest way to do this is by getting a cup, putting a tiny splash of sanitizing bleach in it, and then filling it with cold water. Then put an old white sock in it and let it sit for 15 minutes. Then pull the sock out. If it's still white then it's okay for you to use bleach when needed but if the sock turns orange that means that your water is iron hard and you won't be able to use bleach. There are a few alternatives to bleach on the Fluff Love University site but I only recommend using them if your water is iron hard making it impossible for you to use bleach. There are several reasons you may need to use bleach on your diapers: If you buy used diapers you will need to sanitize them, if your baby gets a yeast rash, or if they develop mold.

4. I recommend buying 1-3 diapers from several different brands each and several different types of diapers (covers and prefolds, All-in-1s, All-in-2s, pockets, ect for example) each so that you can test them out and see which kinds and brands work best for you and your family. When buying used diapers always buy with caution, ask the seller for lots of details such as the condition of the PUL, back and legs elastics, velcro, any stains, holes, tears, ect and ask for pictures of the outside, the inside, and the PUL if you can. Always pay for used diapers through PayPal so that if the diaper comes to you in worse condition than described and sold to you for you can dispute it and either get a full or partial refund.

5. I recommend doing diaper laundry anywhere from every 2-4 days. Going any shorter can mean that you don't have enough dirty diapers to wash properly in even a small load (your wash load should look like a stew) and going any longer than that can cause issues such as ammonia smell or mold or cause your diapers to stain.

6. Everyone will tell you that they aren't necessary but trust me you are going to want a diaper sprayer. I'm desperate to get one, dunk and swish is so disgusting and the only thing I don't like about cloth diapering right now. You can do this cheaply by looking up how to build one yourself from parts at a home improvement store such as Home Depot or Lowe's for example. I also recommend getting a Spray Pal sprayer shield or a Diaper Dawgs spray collar to keep the sprayer localized to your diaper or you're likely going to end up with a mess everywhere, and that mess will include poop. :sick:

7. If you want to do cloth wipes I recommend doing the "dry" method over the "wet" method. There are lots of solution recipes online but I'm going to just be using water and a squirt of baby soap in my spray bottle as I've heard of people doing that and it seems to be the most cost effective and easiest way. Just put dry wipes (such as flannel or baby wash cloths for example) inside of a wipe dispenser and spray them wet with a spray bottle of your chosen solution recipe as needed.

8. You will thank yourself later if you have any pocket diapers you use stuffed ahead of time. I stuff mine as soon as they're all done drying on the rack or line before I put them away.

9. Have at least 2-3 pail liners and a good diaper pail. The Diaper Dekor is a popular choice but metal foot pedal trash cans work too. Also have a variety of wet bags and wet/dry bags.

10. Get yourself a decent sized diaper bag. I highly recommend Ju-Ju-Be diaper bags but anything labeled as a "weekender" bag from any other brand such as Vera Bradley, JJ Cole, or Petunia Picklebottom will work as well. From Ju-Ju-Be I recommend either a BFF (for single children in cloth diapers only, it's not really big enough for multiple children in cloth), a Be Prepared (this bag is amazing but bare in mind that it is heavy), a Super Be (my personal favorite for my 2 in cloth as it's big but light and can easily be organized with small bags/containers inside for your things), or the Be Right Back (a backpack style diaper back).

11. Not every diaper is suitable for nighttime. I highly recommend GroVia O.N.Es or fitted diapers with a cover (preferably wool or fleece instead of PUL though fleece is easier to care for than wool).

I can't think of any other cloth diapering advice but feel free to ask me anything if something else comes up!

Karoo - My apartment is a 2 bedroom with little storage. When we first moved here DS1 was about 6 months. When they're little it really isn't that bad because they don't need much. How big is your place? I would think about what you want and make a list. Then decide what is most important and what can wait. Like a high chair can wait because they don't start solids till 4-6 months. If you were still there you could always get a space saver one. They also have swings that take up less space than others. Space became more of a problem when DS1 started getting bulky toys.

Kalon - Thanks for the cloth diaper information! I will definitely save it. I do want to try cloth but we don't have our own washer and dryer.. but soon hopefully!! DH was actually the one to mention it when I was pregnant with DS1, so I know he's on board!

I know what you mean, AliJo! For almost the entire 1st year of DS's life we were living in a 2 bedroom apartment likely similar to yours and didn't have our own washer or dryer either. I've been wanting to cloth diaper ever since I was pregnant with DS, before I even found out what gender I was having, but DH always shot me down. Obviously it was a decision we had to make together so I would give up on it for a while and bring it up again, rinse and repeat, and then finally after I discovered Softbums during a time when DH was starting to become more concerned with the environment than normal I FINALLY convinced him to make the switch. DD was 3 months old when this happened I think, it's taken us a while to build our stash because we just didn't have the upfront cash that was necessary at the time.

karoolia - Like AliJo said space isn't as much of a concern until they're older. We did just fine with DS in a small apartment for almost a year before moving into a 3 bedroom rental home, which we still live in. There's no way I could have had 2 or more children in that apartment though. I definitely recommend a space saver highchair. We've been using the same one since DS was being introduced to solids and we still love it.

KalonKiki- thank you SO much for all that cloth diaper info! I've just saved it. The list of cloth diaper brands is also fantastic. I've had a look around and it all looked a bit daunting so having a list of brands to look at is really helpful.

Thanks for the tips ladies!

We're in a two bedroom right now. Space-wise it isn't too bad and we have already planned how to rearrange the second bedroom for a baby, but we have very little storage space.

We will definitely be moving July 1st 2018 though after DH finishes residency and starts his real doctor job. So even if we get pregnant right away baby would only be 6-7 months when we move. I'm hoping that is manageable. We definitely don't have enough space for a toddler to crawl around.

Kalon - you are a cloth diaper expert! I am very impressed by the detail you gave. I have never given cloth diapering much thought other than to think I would find it difficult. I feel much better informed to actually consider my options now when the time comes.

You're very welcome ladies! :flower:

I actually forgot to mention a few things though so I'll list them here:

12. You will need to prep your diapers and inserts/pods before using them if you buy them brand new. Each brand will have their own prepping instructions so make sure to look them up. This just involves washing your diapers and for PUL putting it in the dryer on high heat for a short period of time to seal the PUL. I'm not sure about other brands but I know that for my Softbums the regular bamboo pods need to be washed in hot water 5-10 times before they become fully absorbent. However they just came out with an amazing no prep bamboo pod that only needs to be washed once before use, yay! You can also look up how to prep your diapers on Fluff Love University. :yipee:

13. Fleece liners are your friend. They will provide a barrier if you need to use a non-safe cloth diaper cream (I recommend getting a cloth safe diaper cream though. Here is a good list of creams that are cloth safe: https://www.fluffloveuniversity.com/learn-about-cloth-diapers/diaper-creams-and-cloth-diapers/). They will also help make poop clean-up easier and they will help keep your baby's bottom feeling dry if they have a wetness sensitivity. EBF poop does not need to be rinsed off before washing but it can help with the smell in your pail and prevent stains if you rinse it anyway. You can buy fleece liners or make your own out of a blanket or yard of fabric. If you make your own they do not need to be sewn as fleece doesn't fray. I recommend either microfleece or polar/anti-pill fleece.

14. Other than B/S/T (buy, sell, trade) groups on Facebook my favorite online stores to get cloth diapers are Kelly's Closet, Nicki's Diapers, and Lil Tulips. You can also look it up online and see if there is a brick and mortar store that sells cloth diapers near you (the nearest to me is at least 2 hours away :cry:). Kelly's Closet and Nicki's Diapers both have a reward point system, every dollar you spend earns you 1 reward point and you can spend your points on things such as a free diaper. These are of course American based online stores so may not be an option for ladies outside of the US.

Thanks for all the info on cloth diapering Keely!

I am so in love with the idea, but we currently live in an apartment. There's 8 units in our building and only 1 washer and one dryer. :growlmad: So every week or two, we have to drag everything to the laundromat. It sucks and there's just no way I'd be able to get to the laundromat often enough to really make cloth a good option. Im hoping by the tine we have our next baby, we will be in a different place with our own washer/druer.

Right now we are living in a 3 bedroom upper apartment. It was fine before Everett was born, but now it feels so cramped. I really want to move somewhere bigger, but that's not an option quite yet. :nope: I think the worst part of it is that we don't have a yard at all. I really want a place for my big kids to play but if they want to go outside, we have to go to the park. Also, I feel really bad for my downstairs neighbor. Not only does he have to listen to my big kids running around, but now Everett has a jumper and likes to jump and kick the floor. :dohh:

Hi all! I'm going to start TTC #2 in late June/ early July! Swaying pink through diet, testing ph levels, etc. I won't be going Too crazy to sway, but definitely want to try :)

My brother and sil use a ciao high chair for Roxy that folds up and they can pretty much use it anywhere! My mom bought it last summer for Roxy's first birthday at babies r us.

Thank you for all of the cloth diapering info! I would love to do it, but I live outside the US, and I'm afraid that it will be hard to find things. How much difference is there between the brands? Are they more or less equivalent or is there a big difference between how much you like the brands? I looked through a few baby stores, just to see what there is. Most of the items available are from brands I've never heard of. I looked online and found some to be European. I'll probably be having some friends and family bring things when they visit, but of course it's far easier to just buy what's available here.

Thank you for all of the cloth diapering info! I would love to do it, but I live outside the US, and I'm afraid that it will be hard to find things. How much difference is there between the brands? Are they more or less equivalent or is there a big difference between how much you like the brands? I looked through a few baby stores, just to see what there is. Most of the items available are from brands I've never heard of. I looked online and found some to be European. I'll probably be having some friends and family bring things when they visit, but of course it's far easier to just buy what's available here.

Before my son was potty trained, we cloth diapered. We used mostly alvas from alvababy.com which is a Chinese based site. They're super inexpensive and cute!

Welcome Mandaa! :wave: :flower:
I'll put you on the list as soon as my DH is done with the computer. I hate trying to edit the list on my phone. :dohh:

Alleke there should be at least a few stores or brands available where you live or ones that would at least be able to ship internationally to you. I have a friend from India that's currently living in France that uses Softbums. I can ask her how she got them.

Also Mandaa for your sway I highly recommend using RepHresh instead of changing your diet. It's much more effective and worked for me last time. :thumbup:

Thanks for your ideas! I'll do some more looking around before I make any decisions. I'm glad to her your ideas and suggestions!

Also Mandaa for your sway I highly recommend using RepHresh instead of changing your diet. It's much more effective and worked for me last time. :thumbup:

Do you just buy rephresh and use when specifically?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awin68top2
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->