Warning - Uncomfortable Topic

LouiseB

Reaction score
Hiya, i don't mean to upset anyone but i'm going a bit crazy as i mentioned in another thread so i just had to ask...

I was raised a Catholic and although i respect the moral teachings of all religions, i am no longer actively participating in any particular religion but i still have a strong moral compass.

I'm feeling a bit conflicted about the moral implication of having IVF.

Not the aspect of creating embryos in a test tube, but what happens to any embryos that are created but not used.

I keep telling myself that it is only a couple of cells and that it isn't ever going to be a human until after it has been implanted so it's not like abortion (which some references link it to) but i am still struggling.

It's not about committing sin or anything like that, it's about my little wanna be baby being washed down the sink.

I do no want this to turn into a discussion about religion, i mention it just to explain my feelings.

I'm sorry if i've upset anyone, i'd just like to know if you think about things like this and how you deal with them?

Do you plan to make allowances for it during your IVF - maybe lower your chance of IVF success to ensure no embryos will not be used? Or embryo donation?

My 'spare' embroys / blasts will be frozen and used by me again to get pregnant hopefully a second, third, (etc) time. If I have any left over after having completed my family I will definatley have a good think about donation (if they do that?)

Any embryos that are 'void' I have consented to offer to medical training.

None of my eggs/ embryos/ blasts will get 'wasted' or 'thrown away' if there are other options or 'uses' for them, with my constentable knowledge. This is not because of any religious or even moral views or belifes but purely because I realise through my own experiences just how important fertility and fertility treatment is and also some views that I have seen expressed e.g. 'IVF funding shuld be cut, if someone can't have children then that's tough' it's not a person's right to have a child, there are better things to spend money on' make me want to . . help(?) the most I can. For example if my void embryos can help train somone to handle them correctly and therefore help them be able to use somoene else's eggs / embryos to create a baby for that person then I feel I am helping other people in some, albeit tiny, way. O:)

:flower:

hi im sorry to hear your struggling so much with this i have disscussed at length with my husband on what to do if we are lucky enough to be sucessful and have embryos in the freezer and we have decided to donate x

maybe you could offer them to medical training or some sort of medical treatments??? you could donate them to someone who cant have a baby (ie no eggs or sperm).... there are other options available to you - maybe this is something you need to talk to your doctor's about - they are trained to think about these kinds of situations :D :D

If I have any left over, they'll be frozen and I intend to use them. When you sign your consent forms, you'll be asked all these type questions.

I have consented that any embryo's that aren't viable will be donated to research as this will hopefully help them to investigate why they failed to develop.

Louise, that's a tough one. I honestly don't have an answer. As a Christian woman myself I struggled with the thought of IUI and whether it was God's will for me to have a baby this way. I had to remind myself that He works in mysterious ways and through a doctor may just be the way he heals me.

I would just say to you that His mercy is endless and if you truly feel it is a sin, then repent and accept his unconditional grace and forgiveness. Jesus loves you, he will never leave you nor forsake you.

Sending hugs your way!

If I ever get in taht position, I will store my spare embryos and use them at a later time.

As IVF proves, not every embryo fertilises and grows into a baby. Tens (probably hundreds) of thousands embryos come out in the wash everyday. Sometimes it's best not to overthink these things.

Thats an excellent idea maaybe thanks for sharing.

Maybe - that was really well put!! I dont think I could add anything after reading your response xx

I plan to freeze any remaining embryos to use for hopefully more babies!!! Or, I'll donate them for other couples to use. I do not want them destroyed although I know that some don't survive the thawing process.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->