Water birth hospital bag list?

The class was last night. It wasn't really a class though...more of a tour of the Labor and Delivery ward and the water birth suite. I'm pretty happy with my decision and really hope I don't have any complications because I really want to deliver in that tub. The room is like a fancy hotel.

The nurse just went over the risks (not really any more than a regular birth) and the benefits (many) of a water birth. One concern is that the US hasnt been doing them as long. That doesn't bother me though.

Besides worrying that I won't get to have a water birth because of complications (reduced heart rate, merconium present when water breaks) I'm nervous that someone else will be using the tub. The nurse said that's never happened before, but being as there's only one there is a chance. They only do around 20 water births a year.

Also, as the topic of fishnets came up in this thread...my hospital provides them for you.

Thanks for the update! I hope you get your water birth!

Only 20 a year? Wow! My hospital 75 percent are water births! Shows the difference between countries!

Only 20 a year? Wow! My hospital 75 percent are water births! Shows the difference between countries!

75% is a lot. What a difference. They said there are a lot of factors that prevent people from water births here. I wonder if they are overly cautious. For example, if there's merconium when the water breaks.

It's 70% at my local midwife led unit too. Meconium is a no no for a water birth here though because the baby needs extra monitoring to make sure it hasn't swallowed or inhaled any of it. In fact they'd transfer you to a hospital here for meconium.

The midwife told us last night that they even have underwater dopplers so that you don't have to come out for checks.

I'm a FTM. I am planning a water birth also but this subject concerns me too.
I have heard that one sign of the onset of labour is to have diarrhoea. I am so worried that this happens in the birthing pool! No fish net will work then.
It is actually putting me off the idea of having a water birth 😢 x

Don't be put off, I had loose poo in the birth pool but I was so out of it on gas and air I didn't even realise or care.
I only realised when I announced I wanted to put my head in the water and tipped it back only to suddenly hear the MW and my husband shout "NO!!" :dohh::haha:

I'm a FTM. I am planning a water birth also but this subject concerns me too.
I have heard that one sign of the onset of labour is to have diarrhoea. I am so worried that this happens in the birthing pool! No fish net will work then.
It is actually putting me off the idea of having a water birth 😢 x

Don't be put off, I had loose poo in the birth pool but I was so out of it on gas and air I didn't even realise or care.
I only realised when I announced I wanted to put my head in the water and tipped it back only to suddenly hear the MW and my husband shout "NO!!" :dohh::haha:
:rofl: Brilliant!! I had my eyes closed for the last few hours of labour so I had quite a moment when I finally opened them. :blush: But as the saying goes: The solution to pollution is dilution. It's not actually that big a deal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laree1820
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->