Weaning and rusks?

OrangeJuice

Mummy to Evie
Reaction score
When I decide to start weaning I will be starting with rusks, how would I go about making them into a puree type though?

Would I mix them with LOs milk & feed it to her with a spoon?

:shrug::shrug::shrug:

Not used them so not sure, but i think u just mix with LO's formula milk and feed. Whatever u do, dont put in in the bottle and feed, I know they used to do that a lot years a ago, but its a jojor choking hazard.
Just watch the sugar levels in them though, incase u risk giving LO a sweet tooth as then it will be hard getting ur LO to eat normal foods.
There are some out there I believe that have no sugar, they arent called rusks though but same thing. Maybe one of the other ladies may know?

Yeah, if you use rusks I suppose you'd mix them with milk.

Yip, you can mix them with formula in a bowl then feed with a spoon.

Not used them so not sure, but i think u just mix with LO's formula milk and feed. Whatever u do, dont put in in the bottle and feed, I know they used to do that a lot years a ago, but its a jojor choking hazard.
Just watch the sugar levels in them though, incase u risk giving LO a sweet tooth as then it will be hard getting ur LO to eat normal foods.
There are some out there I believe that have no sugar, they arent called rusks though but same thing. Maybe one of the other ladies may know?

They do a "reduced sugar" rusk made by Farleys i believe :)

It says on the box how to mix :thumbup: the reduced sugar variety are still quite high IMO, baby rice & the porridge's that cow & gate do look really good though x

Thaaanks everyone.. Do u know what the best age to do this from is?? I am thinking 3months as LO has gone off formula by the looks of things, most the time she just dribbles it straight back out these days...

No don't wean at 3 months, it's really not a good idea. 6 months is recommended, and definitely not before 17 weeks xx

17 weeks is minimum age for weaning unless theres a medical reason. :flower:

If it were me I personally wouldn't wean at 3 months. I started at 4 months, which suited my baby. If you feel you need to wean before 4 months I'd advise speaking to your HV first, totally your call though.

I agree with the others hun... ultimately she's your baby and u know best, but there could be a ton of reasons she's gone of her milk so I'd speak to your HV 1st x

I'd steer clear of rusks to be honest - packed full of sugar, even the so-called reduced sugar ones!

no dont waen so early if your lo is not drinking milk then you should speak to your gp or hv as they could be a reason fo it and they need there milk

as for rusks why not use something else such as porridge? x

i agree with everyone else. i cant stand rusks- they turn to glue and u have to literally SCRUB the hardened stuff off ur lo! not a nice experience for both involved! plus even the reduced sugar ones are very high in sugar. if you are going down the traditional weaning route id say maybe start with baby rice instead? i dont know much about it as we did baby led weaning. and id speak to ur hv, and try to last as long as u can getting to 6 months! better for ur lo!

Hi hun, if your LO is not so keen on milk, it's better to hold on weaning as long as you can. Early weaning food dont have enough calories or nutrition. Rusks & baby rice are empty calories with no nutritious value. Omar was never keen on his milk & he was suffering from reflux. We tried weaning at week 20 but it didnt work out as he went off his milk & started to take much less than the recomended. We had to stop weaning after 2 weeks & stick to his formula. We started weaning again at 6.5-7 months.

At this age, she needs her milk much more than any solids. xx

You can mix rusks with either some of your babies formula or with a little boiled water. Usually you make a bottle, take a little from the bottle and mix with the rusk and try with a few teaspoons to start with, then feed your baby the rest of the bottle.
People say not to wean until 6 months, but if you have a hungry baby, then there is no harm in giving a few teaspoonfuls as well as still giving milk-that way baby gets use to trying "food" but still ges all nutrients from milk.
Babies tummy linnings havnt formed until 4 months old, so its best to wait until 4 months, but then syaing that, my mum fed me on 3 "meals" a day-by this i mean i was taking 2 or 3 tea spoonfuls for breakfast/lunch/dinner as well as still having my milk.
My friend started her baby boy on baby rice at 3 months old....
Its all about what you want to do, not what others want you to do.
Deffently worth speaking to your HV tho as your baby may have just gone off milk for another reason other than wanting food. You know your baby best, even better than a HV....baby books never tell you about YOUR baby.
Good luck with it all xx
Oh and my theory is.....EVERY BABY IS DIFFERENT.....

I think the important thing to note is that if your LO has "gone off" their milk, then that issue must first be addressed. Like others have said, check with your GP/HV first because starting to wean them will not provide them with the same calories and nutrients that they get from formula and if they're not taking the formula as it is, then weaning won't help the issue.

But babies don't go off their milk because they want food. They don't "know" when they want food as we're the first opportunity they have to get it. They don't even realise when the weaning process starts that food is to satisfy hunger.

Remember food under 1 is just for fun.

We do BLW and Leni has only started to eat recently at nearly 6 months.

I have never bought or used rusks, but i think you add formula to them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->