Week 7.5 (I believe) Gestational sac still appears empty should we be concerned?

Daddy to be

Reaction score
My wife and I have been been trying to get pregnant for 2 and a half years with no luck,false alarms,ect. We had essentially given up on the idea and then last month we thought "shouldn't you have had your period by now?"

We took a home pregnancy test on Jan 28th and it was positive. Went for blood work and it was also positive. So they book us in for abdominal ultrasound on Feb 3rd. we went for the ultrasound and we could see the gestational sac but it was empty (normal since it's too early) but from what I've read you can not see the gestational sac until 4.5 weeks(please correct me if I'm wrong).

So fast forward to today Feb 26th she went for transvaginal ultrasound and it is still an empty gestational sac?

My concern is that if you cannot see the gestational sac until 4.5 weeks(which we saw Feb 3rd) then that would make her at least 7.5 weeks preggo.

Should we be panicking. Unfortunately we forgot to record her last period and she can be somewhat irregular. so we really have no clue how far along she should be so all my numbers are estimates.

I'm basing this purely on the gestational sac being only visible at 4.5 weeks and we saw it Feb 3rd.

At this point I would go to your doctor and ask to have her HCG levels monitored. The rate at which they are doubling can tell you more about if a pregnancy is healthy than a scan will in the early days, especially when you aren't sure of dates.

I have heard of babies being a couple weeks behind at first and still catching up, though. Stay optimistic, pessimism is not good for her.

All the hcg levels are where they should be and are steadily increasing. So we are hoping for the best.

Did the doctor/sonographer not say anything to you? Even if you suspect you are 7.5 weeks along and there was only a sac I'm suprised you haven't been refered for further tests? With two/three weeks between scans you would expect growth. On my first scan all we saw was a sac but two weeks later we saw baby with a lovely heartbeat. I'd maybe speak to a doctor, try and get some advice! Hope all goes well for you!

I would ask her doctor for further advice!

Though I will say that blighted ovums should not be diagnosed until a minimum of 9 weeks or until the sac reaches 25mm. There have been people who did show an empty sac even up to 10 weeks and then still went on to have a healthy pregnancy (a website called misdiagnosed miscarriage shows where a lot of people had high hcg levels with only an empty sac but went on to find a heart beat a few days to a few weeks later).

I don't want to give you false hope or say that it's a bad sign because nobody here can really advise one way or the other. But I think you should talk to your doctor about further testing or monitoring. If she's irregular, things could still possibly be a little too early.

Do you know what the hcg levels have been? Hcg levels rise at various rates, so I'm wondering if she has quicker rising hcg so the ultrasound did show a sac, but maybe too early developmentally for there to be more yet?

No I don't know the the actual hgc levels. She was at the doctor monday for regular follow up and today the radiologist referred her to a gynecologist for more test so time will tell I guess. I hoping we are still just a bit too early. If we did not have such a hard time getting pregnant I wouldn't be so nervous.

she just sent me a text telling me what she heard and me being me starts thinking the worst.

Did they measure the gestational sac? Did it grow from previous scan? If the sac is not measuring that big, then you could be off with the dates and it still be too early to see anything. And so surprised the doctor didn't comment if you really are 7+ weeks. Good luck

I agree that asking the doctor for further information would be the best option

Good luck hope it all works out for you

Does she have any pregnancy symptoms?is she Bleeding?

She does have very tender boobs but no sickness whatsoever. she had some light spotting at the very beginning(Doc said that was normal and nothing to be concerned about) and thats it.

She now eats like a horse but I don't know if it's because she is preggo or just hungry:loopy:

Did they measure the gestational sac? Did it grow from previous scan? If the sac is not measuring that big, then you could be off with the dates and it still be too early to see anything. And so surprised the doctor didn't comment if you really are 7+ weeks. Good luck

You know what I never thought to ask her. I wasn't there for the ultrasound so I don't know what they spoke about but I will ask her tonight.

Did you have any update on this? Hoping for the best for you.

Did you have any update on this? Hoping for the best for you.

Unfortunately it seems like the pregnancy failed. The HCGs dropped and another ultrasound still showed nothing.

My wife is now having a full blown period as well.

Looks like we will have to keep trying. I just hope it doesn't take 2 years again. :cry:

I'm so sorry for your loss, it is something that I myself and many others here have experienced.

So sorry. To give you a little hope the general consensus is you are more fertile after a mc. I conceived my LO immediately after a mc and didn't even have a regular period in between. Good luck :flower:

So sorry. To give you a little hope the general consensus is you are more fertile after a mc. I conceived my LO immediately after a mc and didn't even have a regular period in between. Good luck :flower:

I sure hope you are correct. Believe it or not it gets just as tiring for the guy to get busy. I've fake a few headaches myself when I just wasn't in the mood.

I don't know if I can handle another 2 years of constant trying. I'm maybe a twice a week type of guy. I don't have the energy I had in my 20's anymore.:nope:

Oh believe me, I know. DH and I are in our 30's and I swear, after doing the deed every night for a week we hardly have any action until the next month. It stops being fun fast.
Good luck for you two in the future. I am just a bit north of you in Fort Mac.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->