Weight lifters

Thanks Beth, there is a sports direct near me so will have a look :)

I do the wide leg stance for squats, I find if I have a narrow stance it just doesn't feel right.

Glad the knuckle is getting better Beth

What's everyone doing tonight?

Well I decided to give it a go with both today! I warmed up with 30kg narrow (15reps), then went up to 40kg narrow (12reps), then up to 50kg. I did 2x8 narrow and 3x8 wide. Ill up it to 55 next time I think.

Imnstill not progressing with my biceps though :( I'm still only using 7.5kg dumbbells for my curls. Its really annoying me! And I still can't do wide grip pull ups.

I squat like a power lifter - feet just wider than hip width, knees and toes turned out slightly, ass to grass :)
xx

I squat like a power lifter - feet just wider than hip width, knees and toes turned out slightly, ass to grass :)
xx

What's your gym routine? X

I just piss around really! I don't follow a set routine. I only tend to do compound moves (so no isolations eg biceps curls) and recently I've been doing some Olympic lifts too.
Tonight, I warmed up doing kettlebell swings (20kg) and then did partial deadlifts upto 100kg, assisted pull ups (using bands) and some powerbag stuff :)
xx

Assisted pull ups? Tell me more :D xx

I loop a stretchy band around the bar and put my foot in it. It just means that you aren't lifting as much of your body weight. You can also do it by putting one foot on a chair.
xx

Ill have to give it a go because I cannot physically do a wide grip pull up. I can't even do negatives by jumping up from bench first and slowly dropping down. I just fall down lol. Xx

Ill have to give it a go because I cannot physically do a wide grip pull up. I can't even do negatives by jumping up from bench first and slowly dropping down. I just fall down lol. Xx

I can't either. I've done two pull ups in my life time, but I think they were flukes!
I'm determined to do at least 1 by Christmas though. I am getting much better.
Don't beat yourself up over it - pull ups are really hard!
Have you seen Sarah Connor doing pull ups in Terminator 2?!! I'm sure there'll be a clip on YouTube if you haven't. That's my aim anyway :)
xx

I think I'm gona give up the split routine and go for a full body workout to get my strength up. Seems pointless going to the gym to work shoulders (for example) when I can only use 7.5kg for raises and 10kg for a shoulder press :/

Is the stronglifts program a good place to start for powerlifting?

I can't either. I've done two pull ups in my life time, but I think they were flukes!
I'm determined to do at least 1 by Christmas though. I am getting much better.
Don't beat yourself up over it - pull ups are really hard!
Have you seen Sarah Connor doing pull ups in Terminator 2?!! I'm sure there'll be a clip on YouTube if you haven't. That's my aim anyway :)
xx

Sarah Connor is amazing in T2!

I can do 1 pull-up. That's it! There is a machine in the gym where u can kneel on a plate and add weight to it to push you up so you are not using your full body weight

How annoying! A guy at the gym was watching me deadlift today. (I was using 40kg at the time). When I went to up it to 50kg, he started gong on at me about how I don't want to use heavy weight like this as I'm a woman and want long lean muscles not big bulky muscle... He said I want to be using very small weight and doing 15-20 reps! He nearly choked when I told him I'm doing 5x5. He's like 'no way, bare minimum 8/9 reps or else you'll bulk up and get really big'.

I said I don't have enough testosterone to get massive anyway and fact is I should be dead lifting around 65/70kg now because I can squat 50!

How annoying! A guy at the gym was watching me deadlift today. (I was using 40kg at the time). When I went to up it to 50kg, he started gong on at me about how I don't want to use heavy weight like this as I'm a woman and want long lean muscles not big bulky muscle... He said I want to be using very small weight and doing 15-20 reps! He nearly choked when I told him I'm doing 5x5. He's like 'no way, bare minimum 8/9 reps or else you'll bulk up and get really big'.

I said I don't have enough testosterone to get massive anyway and fact is I should be dead lifting around 65/70kg now because I can squat 50!

Eugh!

Seriously, why can't people just mind their own business. I go to the gym most of the time with DH so am quite friendly with some of the guys there but you do get the odd look tho, usually I find its from guys who seem to have just joined the gym lol

Do you find you get slack from other girls?

I find it goes 2 ways, they see one girl in the free weights and more come over too which is great, or just get her dirty looks :roll:

Don't listen to men at the gym, you really would have a better conversation with a rock.

I've lifted for 10 years and my deadlift is 100kg (that's 10 months after the 3rd pregnancy), if he thinks I look like a dude then he can fuck off. I've never done more than 8 reps, I get bored and quit. 5-6 max.

Women have the testosterone levels of a 5 year old boy, good luck with that if you aren't using drugs.

Attachments

• me.jpg
    me.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 12
Haha exactly. People are soo misinformed/uninformed!

I get a lot of slack from girls. I like the really ripped women's body's. I think they look amazing, yet the majority of people I say that too say it looks disgusting and manly. When I say I'm into lifting and trying to get lifting heavy weights I get comments about women should look natural and not stronger than men. (Because obviously muscle isnt natural?!). And the best comment ive had is, women should be curvey with boobs and bums. So to that I sent a photo of a body builder with a comment saying, have you seen this arse!!

It annoys me though because I don't put people down who choose to do all cardio training, or who are happy to be frumpy etc etc. So why other people feel they can comment on what I do I really don't understand!

Beth we can never win lol

Alias you good great! In love your shape

Anyone know a good alternative to crisps? DH mentioned vegetable crisps???

Hope you are all having a great weekend! I've got an awful cold and feel so weak. I went to Pump yesterday morning and felt very light headed all the way through, it was actually just horrid and not in a good way lol

Anyway... Me and DH and going to be TTC next year around march/April and I'm interested to know what I can and can't do at the gym??

When I was pregnant with Evie my gym membership expired the month after I found out so I just didn't renew it. This time I want to keep going with the gym as much as possible. Obviously I understand I won't be able to do lots of things the further along I go and know it is good and recommended to exercise when pregnant. What about lifting??

With the gym people often think they have to stop exercising. Truth is if you did it before then you can do it during! Its something your body is already used to. Its not like all of a sudden going from no exercise to being pregnant and attempting to lift 100kg lol. So because your body is trained to it you want to keep it up! Just keep it at reasonable weight, don't push yourself hard, don't use weights that will strain you and don't try to gain new personal bests!
I'm having a great week! Switched to the full body compound routine so just 3 days a week. So much more managable :)

Thanks for the reply. I wouldn't lift overly heavy anyway in just worried about stress on my stomach?

When i lift I always pull in my stomach and tighten it, I'm assuming it wouldn't need to change my form but is this still ok? I'm just worried ill put too much stress on my body?

Is there anything that is a no no?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->