Weve given up smoking - support us or join us please

allyk

Mummy to DD, Preg with #2
Reaction score
To pack in the fags, I massively regret smoking whilst pregnant and now really want to quit.. Oh also smokes but he also wants to quit.

Was wondering if anyone has any good tips so that we don't kill each other and so it doesn't affect LO.

Have any if you managed to stop ??

Any advice would be great

This has now changed into out support thread anyone is welcome to join us
So far myself and Lolababes have given up anyone wants to join just let me know.

We appreciate any words of support through these tough days

We managed to stop as soon as we found out I was pregnant, luckily it was enough determination for us both to not find it too difficult...
Sorry Im not much help, just wanted to say good luck! :flower:

Good luck hun! I had stopped for most of my pregnancy and the first 2 months when Lo was born...Now that im back at work i started again unfortunately....If you master the skill let us know the secret!

better late then never i suppose. i quit cold turkey soon as i got my bfp with zane, i knew i had to quit for him as i knew what damage it could do to him that was enough for me. OH never managed to quit tho, but he sis try in inhalers and also patches.

have u thought about hypnotherapy to quit? its supposed to be really good.

Good for you, don't worry now about what you can't change, ie not giving up before and concentrate on the future...give up for you and your lo!

Ok tips
Set a date about a week or so and stick to it
Write down or record why you both want to give ip, you'll need thus reminder through the hard times
Recognise that it's going to be hard but it does get so much easier
If you fall off the wagon get back on it, ie have a drag then dont say to yourself oh that's it I've failed now may as well finish it.
Try out nicotine replacement therapies...no harm trying tho i didn't find they worked for me
Start a journal/support thread on here :)
Tell everyone you've given up and youre now a non smoker!
Read Allen Carr :)
Every day when you give up, right down or at least chat about the positives that day of nit smoking! People often concentrate on what they miss not what's great about not doing it! I found it very freeing, not to have to remember my lighter, not to have to get to the train station 10mins earlier so I could have a fag before my commute! Silly things like that actually made a huge difference!
Good luck! X

Good for you! Mu husband had smoked for 15 years so it was tough for him to quit 4 years ago. He had to use patches for 4 weeks and then lozenges. But it worked:)

Good luck hun!

Can you get help from your gp? I know round here they run smoking cessation groups and whatnot x x

Good for you, don't worry now about what you can't change, ie not giving up before and concentrate on the future...give up for you and your lo!

Ok tips
Set a date about a week or so and stick to it
Write down or record why you both want to give ip, you'll need thus reminder through the hard times
Recognise that it's going to be hard but it does get so much easier
If you fall off the wagon get back on it, ie have a drag then dont say to yourself oh that's it I've failed now may as well finish it.
Try out nicotine replacement therapies...no harm trying tho i didn't find they worked for me
Start a journal/support thread on here :)
Tell everyone you've given up and youre now a non smoker!
Read Allen Carr :)
Every day when you give up, right down or at least chat about the positives that day of nit smoking! People often concentrate on what they miss not what's great about not doing it! I found it very freeing, not to have to remember my lighter, not to have to get to the train station 10mins earlier so I could have a fag before my commute! Silly things like that actually made a huge difference!
Good luck! X

i have decided to stop after ive finished the packet i have now... i know when ive tried before if i have fags around the place the tempation gets too much (its also harder now for me to 'pop' to shop as it takes me about 20 mins to get ready to go!!!)

today is the day, part of me is terrified but part of me is really excited about it!!!

i tried hypnothera[y 10 years ago and stopped for a year... it might eb worth a shot again??

Good luck hun!

Can you get help from your gp? I know round here they run smoking cessation groups and whatnot x x

hmm hadnt thought about that.. i'll ask the docs

I don't have any tips except that if you're really determined to do it you'll be able to quit.

I went from 20 a day to cold turkey on the day I found out I was pregnant. It was hard but I had made the decision that I wasn't going to smoke anymore for LOs sake and that was it.

Sadly, when LO was around 4 weeks I started up again after "just one" to relieve a bit of stress. I only really smoke 3 or 4 a day now and only outside when LO is sleeping. If she doesn't sleep all day I'm fine going without. I should still give up though xx

also they say that all the nicotine is out of ur system after the first 7 days, so after that its all in ur mind because u wont need the nicotine u just will think u do.

yes quitting is hard but uve got a dam good reason needin u to quit so just look at ur baby if ur having doubts

Alan carrs easyway book!
Pm me if you want my copy and I'll post it :)
It worked for me and I never smoked less than 20 a day x

I quit a few years ago and used the nicorette patches. I only had to use them for a week and they really helped. After the week, it was still hard but once you beat the first demon, it's eaiser to carry on.

Good luck and well done for being brave enough to ask for help to quit!

Definitely Allen Carr, brilliant!!

Good luck x

I decided I wanted to quit, bought the Allen Carr book and did.
You are supposed to smoke whilst reading it. I stopped smoking after one chapter. I couldn't bring myself to buy a packet of ciggarettes after that. Once I had finished the whole book one of the girls from work turned up with 200 duty free fags as a present as she'd just flown back from Grenada, I wasn't even tempted. It's been over two and a half years now.
Other tips I've heard are saving the cash so you can see the savings (and spend them on fun stuff). The smoking cessation groups are supposed to be good (although I never really fancied the idea myself).
Don't beat yourself up about the past, you can't change that and regret is a waste of energy, you can change the future. Good luck!

i have a copy of alan carrs book but have alwasy been too scared to read it (how stupid does that sound!!??!!) it is definatly the right time for me ... fingers crossed

money does not motivate me, so saving the money in a jar realy wouldn't help... but every time i look at my baby girl i think about trying to run around after her when she starts walking and being out of breath!

Ive never smoked so have no advice for you, but i just wanted to wish you loadsa luck....YOU CAN DO IT!!!

:)

also i was around my nan smoking thru my childhood and it caused me to have mild asthma, so thats another reason to quit as passive smoking can cause so much damage to those who dont smoke (as u already no) quitting really is worth it. i no look back and see how this addiction controls people and how much they smell is unreal.

i cant believe i ever smelt that bad!

Everyone I know who has read this website has quit straight away cold turkey (including me!!)

Set yourself an hour or so to concentrate on it and go through it..... It's truly amazing!

https://whyquit.com/

Xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->