What are your opinions on bringing a child up vegan?

It has nothing to do with forcing. If you didn't cook...say...rice, your child would grow up not eating rice. Myself and my husband are veggies, why on earth would we cook and buy meat for our daughter?

As long as your babe is having a healthy, mixed diet - I say go for it hun! Don't beat yourself up if you have 'slips' - it's a whole new way of life. I ate party rings a few months ago - how GROSS they are not veggie! If you need any tips, let me know - I have family who have brought up vegan. Also, VIVA do a great guide to helping bring your kids up vegan.

Good luck :)

I don't believe in forcing anything upon my son that he doesn't have a say in.

I don't really understand this. Do you not feed him then? Do you breast or formula feed him and did he have a say in that? When you wean him are you going to wean him on the foods you eat, or wait until he can talk and then have an ethical discussion with him about what he wants to eat?

As a parent, part of our job is to make decisions for our children until they are able to make them for themselves. Veganism isn't the 'norm' but vegan parents weaning their child onto a vegan diet is no different to omnivorous parents weaning their child onto an omnivorous diet.

I think as long as you read up on vegan diets specifically for children, and make sure she is getting all the necessary vitamins etc then it's fine! You have a little while longer to decide though! :)

Heather Mills has brought her daughter up from birth as Vegan.
I live near HM's restaurant and have to say she sells a wide range of nutrious healthy tasty foods. I tried the soy Mr Whippy the other day and it tastes better than the dairy version. It was more refreshing on the palette and less fattening.
As a meat eater I admire strict Veggies and Vegans.
I only managed vegetarianism for 4 years, but have to say I hardly ever got ill as a result and was at my ideal weight. I think for me it was down to lack of choice when eating out and I love eating out in restaurants. Its hard enough to get a tasty veggie meal when out so I presume Vegans have to take a packed lunch most of the time!
You can never be sure of the hidden ingredients when someone else has prepared the food for you.

Okay after reading this entire thread the only thing I must debate as another poster did is the fact that humans are classified as omnivores. I do believe humans are built to digest animal products.

Other than that I support vegan, veg, meat eating for babies. Really, as long as it isn't demonized and they are getting nutrients all is well! Later all people should be given the chance to educate themselves on various topics and then decide what they would like to do with themselves (foods they eat, deciding to be religious, etc).
When kids are young WE make choices for them BTW, that's called parenting and every good mom or dad does it...I proudly say I force toothbrushing, shoe wearing, something healthier than cookies for dinner. We try to give our kids good habits as we see fit (to the person(s) that are aginst forcing things on their tiny tots).

That makes absolutely no sense what so ever.

You choose things for your child every single day that he does not have a say in. She's not 'forcing' this upon him to be a witch or mean. She's done her research and finds it a healthy option. I personally find that one sentence with no explanation, no evidence you even have any knowledge on the subject absolutely and out right offensive. Some of us do it for beliefs and values, some of us do it to protect the health of our child, not because we are forcing things on babies.

Yes that's fine to raise your baby as a vegan, but you must suplement the diet with lots of iron etc which it will miss out on. And remember, MOST vegans/vegetarians are deficient in nutrients such as iron, because you need to consume a hell of a lot more foods rich in iron to replace what would be in meat. And even when taking iron tablets it isn't absorbed properly, so it doesn't solve the problem. IMO it is very tricky to be a healthy vegan.
A child needs adequate nutrition, and to deny it that I beleive is child abuse.

The iron absorption debate is a fallacy. Many foods contain as much iron as meat - for example - only 4 figs contain 3.4g of iron, whereas 90g of red eat contain 2.1g. My iron rates have consistently been fantastic during pregnancy just with a little effort to make sure I am digesting some of the many iron rich foods - in fact, my midwife was shocked I was a veggie - but she said too that veggies often have much better iron levels and general nutrition levels because they are much more aware of what they need to be eating.

I do agree it is trickier with a vegan diet, but entirely possible with just a little effort. I have lots of friends testament to the wonders of a vegan diet. Like with any diet, if it isn't healthy, you and your child won't be.

xemmax - I LOVE that - will remember your quote!

sorry just curious but milk and dairy is really important in toddlers diets how do vegans replace this?

Its a myth that calcium can only come from cows milk. Saying that there is soy milk, rice milk, almond milk alternatives. If you ensure that it is B12 fortified, (there is an ongoing debate about this supplement) then it should be OK. Rice milk does have less protein then Soy Milk though. Soy milk seems to be the better option as it is has no cholesteral and less fat but it is very comparable to cows milk. Also, eating plenty of green leafy vegetables will ensure that the calcium need is met. From what I have read, having a diet high in animal protein does cause calcium losses anyway.

ETA: https://www.vrg.org/nutrition/calcium.htm

Please read the health risks of soy too. I think it is fine though as long as they are getting enough calcium and protein from other sources.

thanks drazic and completely agree about iron! my iron levels at my booking appointment were brilliant, when even i was expecting them to be bleak because i'd constantly been told i must be low in iron due to my diet. i'm a strict vegetarian and at the time had almost completely cut out dairy too in the transition to veganism.

i think veganism is so vastly misunderstood by people that they immediately get defensive when you mention it in regards to your child's diet - like it's child abuse or something! i think it's brilliant, and i whole-heartedly believe that most (but not all) vegans probably know more about their dietry requirements than any meat eater - purely because they have made a conscious decision on their diet, whereas most meat eaters just eat meat as a continuation of their upbringing.

i never made a decision about being a vegetarian, i was raised from birth without meat as my mum is a vegetarian. i've always been around meat as my dad eats it, and subsequently i am the only strict vegetarian child left in the family - my younger brother is still vegetarian but purely out of habit, and my older brother now eats meat. i think this is testament that you can raise a child in a certain way but with enough freedom to change their minds should they want to.

Just a quick question hun. Will you ever let her eat meat if she asks?
xx

Yeah definately, but I am hoping that by educating her about the reasons why we dont eat meat will ensure that she never asks :) Like I said, I am not really an animal rights activist. Its just the evidence about eating meat, and dairy is just too much to ignore. Really reccomend reading the 'China Study' hun especially if your going into nursing.

speaking from your child's point of view please let me tell you that you need to prepare yourself for the day that she will ask - because believe me, she will!
i think i was about 6 when i began to ask questions, and i didn't really understand why other people ate meat and i didn't. i never wanted to eat meat because i always knew that meat was a part of an animal and i didn't want to eat an animal, but when i was 7 i ate a bit of chicken that my friend forced into my face and i was so upset afterwards that i puked everywhere! it upset me a lot but i went straight home and told my mum without any fear of her being angry or upset. she just said that if i wanted to eat meat, then it was ok. if your reasons for being vegan partiucularly focus on dietry benefits then this can often be even harder to describe to a child, so you have to prepare yourself for her inevitable misunderstanding and possible rebellion. but do persevere, and if she grows up to not agree with you, then try not to be too upset (i have no idea how i would cope though - so i completely understand) and always give her the freedom to ask questions and reach her own conclusions. good luck with it - i have no doubt that you will do it! :flower:

I don't really understand this. Do you not feed him then? Do you breast or formula feed him and did he have a say in that? When you wean him are you going to wean him on the foods you eat, or wait until he can talk and then have an ethical discussion with him about what he wants to eat?

As a parent, part of our job is to make decisions for our children until they are able to make them for themselves. Veganism isn't the 'norm' but vegan parents weaning their child onto a vegan diet is no different to omnivorous parents weaning their child onto an omnivorous diet.

I don't force him to be vegetarian, be religious, be circumcised, have his ears pierced .. that kind thing. However, he needs to be fed, have his nappy changed etc. We have to make essential decisions for our children but i what i would never do is force my opinions and beliefs onto him. E.G if i was a Christian, i wouldn't christan him or take him to church etc, or if my OH was circumcised i wouldn't get Leni circumcised .. that kinda thing.

That makes absolutely no sense what so ever.

You choose things for your child every single day that he does not have a say in. She's not 'forcing' this upon him to be a witch or mean. She's done her research and finds it a healthy option. I personally find that one sentence with no explanation, no evidence you even have any knowledge on the subject absolutely and out right offensive. Some of us do it for beliefs and values, some of us do it to protect the health of our child, not because we are forcing things on babies.

I did say 'I wouldn't force anything on my son' .. i don't care what everyone else does with their children, that's up to them. We all do what we think is best for our kids. There is not right or wrong way to bring them up! Just for me personally i would never force Leni to be anything, i would just rather let him decide. Of course every day i have to force Leni to do stuff, like breastfeed, change his nappy and bath him, but if i didn't do that .. he'd die? Feeding, changing, etc is essential.

I'm sorry that my sentence was a little blunt, but i was breastfeeding at the computer, and it's kinda hard doing both, i had to be quick :D

I don't force him to be vegetarian, be religious, be circumcised, have his ears pierced .. that kind thing. However, he needs to be fed, have his nappy changed etc. We have to make essential decisions for our children but i what i would never do is force my opinions and beliefs onto him. E.G if i was a Christian, i wouldn't christan him or take him to church etc, or if my OH was circumcised i wouldn't get Leni circumcised .. that kinda thing.

But will you force him to be a meat eater then?

But will you force him to be a meat eater then?

What a silly comment!

I agree with aob. I wouldnt want to force River into anything. We put the food infront of her and she decides what she eats, i she doesnt touch the meat so be it same with the veg.

I think were designed to eat meat for a reason because we need it and although yes it is possible to have the nutrients now without it i think it would be a ongoing battle with a child.

What happens when your child is 5 and goes to a party and another child offers them a ham sandwhich?? surely a 5 year old wont know all this research about meat dairy. I think it can alienate them.

Its the same with sweets imo River wont be having sweets etc until she is 2 but if after that i said to her your not allowed sweets then she would want them all the more. Same with meat.

[What a silly comment!

I agree with aob. I wouldnt want to force River into anything. We put the food infront of her and she decides what she eats, i she doesnt touch the meat so be it same with the veg.

I think were designed to eat meat for a reason because we need it and although yes it is possible to have the nutrients now without it i think it would be a ongoing battle with a child.

What happens when your child is 5 and goes to a party and another child offers them a ham sandwhich?? surely a 5 year old wont know all this research about meat dairy. I think it can alienate them.

Its the same with sweets imo River wont be having sweets etc until she is 2 but if after that i said to her your not allowed sweets then she would want them all the more. Same with meat.

The OP has already said once her child is old enough to ask for it if they asked for meat or wanted to eat it she wouldn't refuse it.

The fact is, the majority of people in this country eat meat, so we see that as 'normal' and wean our children onto diets that include meat. They are not old enough to decide for themselves and as they have no choice, yes, we are 'forcing' it onto them, 'forcing' our beliefs (that we should eat meat) onto our children. So, if people are vegetarian or vegan it's pretty natural for them to offer their baby/child a vegetarian/vegan diet, just like we would offer our children a diet that included meat.

If a child is alientated because of it's diet, then the parents of the children doing the alientating need to look at how their children are behaving. Children have restricted diets for all sorts of reasons, not just parental choices. Children don't get alienated for allergies to food or not liking certain foods, so why should vegetarianism or veganism be any different? Unless, of course, we are a truly narrow minded society...

[What a silly comment!

The OP has already said once her child is old enough to ask for it if they asked for meat or wanted to eat it she wouldn't refuse it.

The fact is, the majority of people in this country eat meat, so we see that as 'normal' and wean our children onto diets that include meat. They are not old enough to decide for themselves and as they have no choice, yes, we are 'forcing' it onto them, 'forcing' our beliefs (that we should eat meat) onto our children. So, if people are vegetarian or vegan it's pretty natural for them to offer their baby/child a vegetarian/vegan diet, just like we would offer our children a diet that included meat.

If a child is alientated because of it's diet, then the parents of the children doing the alientating need to look at how their children are behaving. Children have restricted diets for all sorts of reasons, not just parental choices. Children don't get alienated for allergies to food or not liking certain foods, so why should vegetarianism or veganism be any different? Unless, of course, we are a truly narrow minded society...

of course eating meat is normal...thats why it has been part of our diet for thousands of years :dohh:

Yes because an allergy is something they cant eat because it could possible kill them and its the childs choice when they dont like certain foods.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->