What do I do when I go into labor?

Kiwiberry

Mommy to 3 beautiful girls & 2 adorable boys!
Reaction score
This will be my first full-term baby (hopefully). With DD1 (27w) I went into premature labor but my water didn't break until I was about to give birth and already at the hospital. With DD2 (34w) my water ruptured so it was only leaking a little bit, I was then in the hospital for over a week before I actually gave birth to her. I've made it past both Milestones of when my girls were born and only two weeks left before I would be considered term. I'm just wondering what it's going to be like and what do I do? Will my water break first or will contractions start first? Do I call an ambulance or do I just drive to the ER (I'm in the US). How quickly do I have to make it there if I don't call an ambulance? If I drive to the hospital will they see me right away, or will I have to wait in the ER? can I just drive and go into L&D unit? Do I call Triage at my OBGYN first? This is all new territory for me.

Last edited:
Hi there! I will see if I can answer some of these for you. Both my babies were 40 weeks and a couple of days late. The question about the water breaking is totally up to your body. My water didn't break with either pregnancy until I was already in active labor at the hospital w/my first and the 2nd the hospital had to pop it. Your water may rupture on it's own or may not rupture at all until further in to contractions. If your water breaks you can head to the "Women's center" if the hospital you have chosen has one of those. Your doctor should be able to recommend when they would like you to come in based on how far apart contractions are and how long they are lasting. I believe it is something like contractions continuing for an hour and are every 3-4 minutes or something like that but your OB can tell you there preference. With my first baby I was 4 days overdue and the contractions started off painful so I went right in. Since I was late already they kept me even though I wasn't dilated. With my 2nd baby the contractions also started up painful but by time I got to the Women's center they stopped so I walked for a bit and when they didn't start back up I went home. Once home they started up again but I waited for an hour of regular contractions before I drove myself to the hospital. You driving yourself is probably not the best idea unless that is your only option. Have someone drive you or if you need an ambulance call one. No shame in that. Good luck with everything!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ashhmichelle
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->