What do you think taxes should go on?

Scamp

I'm a mummy
Reaction score
Reading an article online got me annoyed, I think I have pretty strong views on what I think taxes should go on, I'm Labour and so is Mike but we have different views on it.

So, if you were able to change the rules, where would the money go? What would you take money away from and add to?

I'll post this and then write my views :thumbup: x

I would take money from the prison service and criminals.

I think it's disgusting that criminals go to prison and get to watch tv and play on computer games. Prison should be as the word sounds. The criminals should have a blank room with a bed to sleep. There should be no computer games etc (they can all be donated to kids charities), it should be harsh so it acts as a deterrent for people who commit crimes. I think the prisoners should have to go out and do community work or jobs so that when they do get out they're learning a skill. I do agree they should be able to do GCSEs ect in prison as this means it'll give them more skills.
Although, I think pedophiles, murderers and rapists shouldn't have human rights, they lose those when they ruin someone elses life.

I think the where the NHS money goes should be changed.
I don't agree that money is going to people who need gastric bands but aren't going to people who can have life saving drugs. I understand it isn't easy for those who struggle to lose weight, my DF is a little over weight and is struggling but he agrees that it is him that has gained the weight and he should be the one to lose it.

More money should be spent on caring for the elderly
Better homes, better care, heating bills during winter should be paid for, more checks on home, food money when needed. We wouldn't be here if it wasn't for the older generation and we should be caring for them.

Benefits
There should be a massive shake up, far to many people are claiming when they shouldn't be and not enough is going to where it should.

New mums should have the option of not working for 2 years if they don't want to. The money they get should be enough to live on. Kids are our next generation and we should be making sure they can get the best start in life.

Those claiming job seeker should be made to do work around the areas they live. If they are looking for work then there shouldn't be an issue with them doing some jobs for their community. Working for free would make those that aren't really looking for work to actually get out and search.

People who claim for disability should be reviewed once a year at least. If there are some jobs which they could do, they should have help looking for those.

I'm sure there are more which I would change but I just can't remember (I'm in the middle of a poker game and doing well), I'm sure I'll remember and post them later :thumbup:

I think too much help has unpleasantly created too much need. I think there are far too many places where the money needs to go and not enough money to go around.

I would mainly change the level of government employment. 50% of the employment of the country are employed by the government. Obviously there are many highly valued public facing workers. Then there are numerous people who just push bits of paper around and tick boxes.

I disagree with you somewhat on the weight issue; for some people excessive weight gain is a huge problem and a serious addiction that they really cannot help-the NHS helps those with drug, smoking and alcohol addiction. Similarly if you're anorexic or bulimic there are a lot of treatment options but not for those who also have an eating disorder; those that overeat. I do agree though that gastric bands are not the best solution in all cases; the NHS should offer far more support for people to see dieticians and get therapy to deal with the root causes of them being addicted to overeating. My OH is very very overweight so cannot lose the weight himself (he has been trying for 8+ years) and wouldn't consider surgery but the other options on the NHS are pitiful; and he has worked full time since he was 16 and paid loads in taxes and national insurance xx

I think too much help has unpleasantly created too much need. I think there are far too many places where the money needs to go and not enough money to go around.

I would mainly change the level of government employment. 50% of the employment of the country are employed by the government. Obviously there are many highly valued public facing workers. Then there are numerous people who just push bits of paper around and tick boxes.

HOLY CRAP! 50% are employed by the government in the UK?!

I'm not sure how the U.K. works, but if the U.S. were that top-heavy, we'd crumble in an instant!!!

I learn something new everyday..!

I wish there were no taxes on anything that I have to pay for :rofl:

But without taxes .. there would be no tax returns :(

Haha, sorry I'm no addition to this debate, but we can all dream right? :haha:

its too complex to say because our taxes pay for more then just benefits and cleaning the streets - a lot of money is spent on diplomacy, war, foreign relations, business relations, investing the countries wealth and getting other countries to invest in us, so not much of an answer from apart from that its a really hard question.

Yeah it is a toughie. One thing I like OP is the suggestion of extending maternity allowance for 2 years. I think that should be looked into.

I think that more should be spent on emotional wellbeing of people. So many issues plaguing society today have roots in emotional imbalances.

Things like weight, addictions, work ethic, anti-social behaviour etc...

It's actually nearer just less than 1/4 of the working population. Around 7 million work in the public sector and there are approx 28 million people working in the UK.

Just found this interesting site which shows breakdowns of where tax money goes to.

Whilst I wholeheartedly agree that the benefits system needs an overhaul, I cannot agree on making claimants do unpaid work; if the work is there it should be offered as a paid position. Schemes do exist where claimants are made to do unpaid work and some of the stories are shocking. A couple of them are here. The jobs market is extremely tough at the moment and the wrong people seem to get punished.

:flower:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->