What questions should I ask at 1st OB appt?

jumpingo

mama to two
Reaction score
hi everyone!:wave:

i have my first OB appointment tomorrow (7+1) and was wondering what kinds of questions i should be asking. i have a couple, but am surely forgetting some important things just because i haven't thought of them or experienced it yet.

i'm pretty sure there's no ultrasound involved, so it'll likely just be medical history and paperwork and a "meet and greet" with the doc:roll: it's the on base hospital, but i will likely end up going off base to a japanese clinic for an earlier scan, since it seems like they don't do them here before 12 weeks (if that?! i have no idea, they haven't really told me *anything* around here.:growlmad:)

but trying to at least make the appointment worth my time, so:

what questions did you ask (or are you going to ask) at your first appointment?

what questions did you wish you had asked?

thanks for any help you can give!:flower:

If you have a choice of providers, I'd ask about things like the doctor's philosophy, c-section and episiotomy rates, how they handle situations like going overdue and breech babies, and so on. Anything that gives me an idea of what I can expect and if we're on the same page about how a low risk pregnancy and birth should go.

I'd also ask about what's safe and not safe if they don't have a printout already, and under what circumstances I should call them or go to the ER. And I'd ask about any upcoming screenings and tests so I had some time to look them up before my next appointment.

Honestly, though, I found that my midwives did a good job of providing the information I needed without having to be asked. Hopefully your doctor will do the same. The only things I remember asking about were weight gain, because it was a big concern for me, starting out overweight, and diet, because I already had some food aversions that were tricky to work around.

MrsK, thank you!!!

If you have a choice of providers, I'd ask about things like the doctor's philosophy, c-section and episiotomy rates, how they handle situations like going overdue and breech babies, and so on. Anything that gives me an idea of what I can expect and if we're on the same page about how a low risk pregnancy and birth should go.

there is one base hospital, so that's my "choice" for medical care. i can pay out of pocket and do whatever i want off base (in japanese) but anything on base is fully covered under my husband's insurance, so there's not financial reason to go off base.:dohh: but will still ask about their "standard" practices for low risk births, just so i'm prepared!

I'd also ask about what's safe and not safe if they don't have a printout already, and under what circumstances I should call them or go to the ER. And I'd ask about any upcoming screenings and tests so I had some time to look them up before my next appointment.

i got a very brief run down when the blood test came back positive, but will definitely ask if they have a printout! good call!:thumbup: and YES! i am frustrated that none of the appointment scheduling has been explained and family practice told me one thing and then OB called and told me something different, so that's high on my list of things to get sorted! ha!

Honestly, though, I found that my midwives did a good job of providing the information I needed without having to be asked. Hopefully your doctor will do the same. The only things I remember asking about were weight gain, because it was a big concern for me, starting out overweight, and diet, because I already had some food aversions that were tricky to work around.

sadly, my experience thus far with the medical system has only left me feeling like i HAVE to ask or i won't get ANY information.:nope: maybe today will restore my faith in the OB clinic, but hate getting my hopes up only to be let down even more, you know?

thank you so much for your reply though - adding all these things to my running list!!:thumbup::hugs:

It sounds frustrating! I hope you can get some answers soon. It's a confusing enough process in your own country and when you get to pick your providers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->