• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

What To Pack In Your Hospital Bag - Suggestions

How come people take lip balm? I have seen it mentioned a few times on here - is it personal preference or is there actually a specific need for it?
Personal preference in my case - I know my lips get sore in artificially-warm environments!

How come people take lip balm? I have seen it mentioned a few times on here - is it personal preference or is there actually a specific need for it?

It seems to be from previous labours where mums have gotten very dry, sore lips :)

You don't need a fan at my hospital as they hgave one at every bed and 2 in delivery rooms :)

It seems to be from previous labours where mums have gotten very dry, sore lips :)

You don't need a fan at my hospital as they hgave one at every bed and 2 in delivery rooms :)

I do have some, I just don't use it a lot, but I will take it along just in case!

I will need to check about the fans! I'm trying to condense my list! So far I have

Dry Shampoo
Maternity pads box of 10
Nipple Cream
Going home top
Comfy trouser -hosp / aft birth
Nighty for birth
PJ's for hosp after birth
Big Knickers for aft birth pack of
Breast pads, box of 40
Snacks
Maternity notes
Water spray bottle
Change for phone
Diary & phone numbers
Hand held fan
Slippers
Toiletries bag
Hand towel
Socks
Nursing bras
Anti-bacterial travel sized gel
Anti bac wipes
Book / magazine
Spare contact lenses
Wet wipes for me
Breast pump
Watch
Hair bobbles
Hair brush
Carrier bags for dirty items

I know some items will condense into a tolitary bag but I feel its too long - i'm hoping to get out asap (min 6hrs)

Here is :baby:'s list

2 baby grows
Teddy from Mummy & Daddy
Nappies
Baby wipes
Cotton wool buds
Nappy bags
Going home outfit
Socks / Booties
Hat
Coat
Scratch mits
Baby bottle
Milk cartons (I intend to breastfeed but just in case)

Kte check with your hospital re breast pump and feed. Many hospitals provide both. So may be a way of reducing whats in your bags. Also I dont think baby wipes are advised for newborns, but if you take some you could use them instead of having a pack of wet wipes for you. Dont forget baby vests as well as the baby gros.

I sorted out all my clothes yesterday and got all my old knickers and nighties and big t-shirts that I no longer want/wear out ready to go in my hospital bag......may be a bit of overkill but I have 8 pairs of old knickers, 2 maternity nighties (bought special lol), 2 normal nighties, 1 pair of flannel pj's, 3 large baggy t-shirts and 1 pair of 'house trousers' for lounging around the ward...rather handy these as they have a tie front rather than elastic so if I have a c-sec they will be ok......hoping to not have to worry about this. Also hoping to be out after a max of 1 night in but I've heard of people having to change every hour.

Also, I've been told you need about 50 odd maternity towels but I'm assuming this will be to last you a few days, not just your hospital stay........ will 10 be enough?

(Btw I'm not BF'ing so don't need to worry about my night-clothes being nursing friendly).

Ive got 2 packs of maternity pads Aimee. Thought I can send OH for more if need be.

I was going to get 2 packs (not got anything yet! :blush:) for the bag and then a couple more packs for at home. Need to get everything of that nature this weekend....quite looking forward to this shopping trip coming up! :thumbup:

I have kept meaning to write in here for months about what I actually used in hospital in hope it might help as when I was packing I had no clue what to take and would have taken my whole house if I could!

I must say I packed everything into my case and in the end used hardly anything!:dohh:

My hospital wouldnt admit me until I had 3 "good" contractions in 5 mins or had bleeding so when I got in I was in active labour so had no time to read etc etc but slept in between contractions.
I stripped naked for the birth (I never planned on this it was just something I seemed to do as clothing was annoying me so much and I was so warm too) After Nathan was born I had a shower then was taken to the ward where I stayed for 2 nights.

I literally only used the following

During labour - bottles of water, a flanel so OH could soak it and put on my head and neck. A cheap paper fan so OH could fan me:haha:

After the birth -

Camera

Washbag - Shampoo, shower gel, toothbrush, tooth paste deoderant and a body spray hair brush and bobbles, lipsalve and OH had some stuff in there too to keep him fresh. Oh and breast pads as I leaked so bad!

A few changes of comfy clothes(incase I leaked), lots of big pants and sanitary towels(I used super night ones rather than mat ones) slippers and PJ's. I took my dressing gown but never used it as I was so hot or dressed.
A change of clothes for OH.
Magazines for after on the ward and some change for phone, tv. Mobile charger. Sweets...alot of sweets(I had gestational diabetes so wasnt alowed them when preg!)

For Baby - A few sleepsuits and vests for baby. A hat. Nappies, wipes, nappy bags and cotton wool. Muslins I found them fab especially when burping or mopping up dribble/vomit! I packed a few disposable travel change mats too which came in handy too.

I also took some extra plastic carrier bags to put soiled clothes in or your dirty clothes so OH can take home or just keep stuff seperate in your bag.

During my labour they had no pillow for me but in all honesty I didnt care as I was in labour and there was no getting comfy. And after the birth I went to the ward where they had plenty...I did think about taking one in but it would have got grubby or lost and been a bit of a waste for me but am sure others found theirs a godsend.

Hope this helps and goodluck and enjoy when the time comes!

Emma.xx

Well I've officially started to pack my Hospital bag (Will start the baby one with hubby as he wants to do that more)

so far we have:

2 x Maternity Nighties
2 x spare nighties
1 x pyjamas
1 x 'house trousers'
1 x vest
8 x 'old' knickers
Going home outfit (overbump trousers, top and cardigan - It will be October!)
Couple of pairs of socks and spare bra
2 x hand towels
1 x bath towel
1 x facecloth
toothbrush and paste
shower gel
Dressing gown (I have 2 :blush: so have packed the spare)
Hairbrush with 2 bobbles on the handle
Travel Mirror

Still got a long way to go but I'm so excited that I have actually started....should have been doing the washing up but 'meh'! :dohh: Thank you to kte for your list....it helped a lot!!! lol

oooh I need new hair brush and a tube of toothpaste! Still need nighties, but bras and knickers ordered.

I'm so disorganised - my weekend bag is still in the loft and I haven't even bought any new nighties, pads or granny pants yet !

I found this on my hospitals website hope helps you ladies
Green hand held pregnancy notes
• A couple of night suits
• Light clothes to wear during the day as it gets quite warm
in the hospital
• Dressing gown (optional)
• Underwear
• 2-3 nursing bras, if you are going to breastfeed your baby
• Breast pads
• Maternity pads
• Towels
• 2 face cloths
• Toiletries
• Hairbrush/comb
• Slippers
• Coins/change for the phone
• Nappies (at least 8 nappies per day)
• Baby clothes - vests and baby grows (at least 4-5 each)
• Nappy cream, baby lotion, baby powder, baby wipes
Books/magazines
• Personal stereos/cassettes
• Drinks/crisps
Extra pillows for your comfort

Just been to ASDA and done a really glamourous shop!

Bought Granny pants (3 pairs for £1), maternity towels, breast pads and a selection of towels and pantyliners to last me. Wow I felt really sexy! :haha::blush:

Would recommend ASDA though....good value compared to mothercare etc.

Just been to ASDA and done a really glamourous shop!

Bought Granny pants (3 pairs for £1), maternity towels, breast pads and a selection of towels and pantyliners to last me. Wow I felt really sexy! :haha::blush:

Would recommend ASDA though....good value compared to mothercare etc.

OH and were doing the weekly shop at Tesco, we don't often get chance to go to ASDA but I think I may pop in to one after work sometime soon. We had a 'spend 30 get 4 off voucer' for tesco so we thought we might as well top-up the weekly shop, so I grabbed some maternity pads and breast pads to do this - like you say, it's not the most glamorous of feelings!

My hospital list just says bring the following;

Money for car parking (although one of my work friends lives nearby so we are going to park there for free!)
Money for TV (minimum £5)
Money for phone (10p per min) (Mobiles must be turned off on the maternity unit)
Maternity pads
Brest pads
If FF'ing - milk, bottles and teats
Nappies

The provide;
Blankets, Sheets, Towels & Gowns for babies
Facilities for warming feeds
Sterilising equipment

Thats all it's says!!

I'm still confused about this whole FF'ing thing. Our HV said that we don't need to take anything like that because they should provide. I haven't been given a list of stuff to take. Need to start saving £1 and 10p coins for the various vendors though. :dohh:

Going to have to resist washing all the baby clothes just yet....I think it might be a little early to do that but I'm just wanting to get going now! Hubby nad I have said we want everything done by the time we reach 37 weeks......only 6 weeks to go! :dohh: Best get a move on really! :wacko:

I know this is a bit off topic but - What kind of bag should I take? :wacko:

What sort of size is yours? Does it have pockets? Pic's appreciated! :)

I havnt got a bag to use, the only ones we have my partner uses as he travels a lot with work. I would normally use these but if packing it early would mean it was out of action for a few weeks. Would i look really bad if i turned up with one of the reusable asda carrier bags, or would a waitrose one look better lol?

I havnt got a bag to use, the only ones we have my partner uses as he travels a lot with work. I would normally use these but if packing it early would mean it was out of action for a few weeks. Would i look really bad if i turned up with one of the reusable asda carrier bags, or would a waitrose one look better lol?

Lol :) That's my current set up.. I'm just wondering how to squeeze it all in to a normal sized bag! :wacko: Imagining turning up to the hospital like this atm...

Attachments

• darjeelinglv.jpg
    darjeelinglv.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 41
I think Sainsbury or Waitrose would look better, or maybe even M&S ....

I'm trying to work out how to fit it all into a small suitcase - and that's just my stuff, baby's will be in a changing bag!

I have a cabin size suitcase for my things, but my dressing gown and pads etc will go in the sports bag i'm using for baby as apart from the nappies nothing else is really bulky.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mlzsmuzaffar
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->