What To Pack In Your Hospital Bag - Suggestions

probably a totally stupid question if i dont plan on breastfeeding would i still need breastpads and nursing bra seeing as milk doesnt fully come in until im already at home?

I've just escaped (been discharged) from hospital following my emergency C/S, baby still in Special Care, so I thought I'd post with what was useful and what wasn't!

Useful:-
  • a mug - the cups in the dayroom were tiny! I like a decent mug of tea
  • baby wipes - good as the midwives were, they never cleaned me properly when I was bed-bound
  • books, books & more books - no tellies in my hospital
  • flip flops - for the shower
  • mobile phone charger
  • thinner STs - I was only on mat.pads for a couple of days
  • fruit & snacks

Not Useful:-
  • flowers from visitors - my hospital has a new "no flowers on ward" rule as an anti-infection measure. They did keep them, which is fine if you're going home next day, but useless if you're in for days
  • breast pads - although my milk was "in", I didn't leak between expressing
  • anti-bac gel - dispensers all over the place, didn't need my own

Helps me a bit thanx :) I know there was hand sanitiser on like every wall i saw in the hospital haha

probably a totally stupid question if i dont plan on breastfeeding would i still need breastpads and nursing bra seeing as milk doesnt fully come in until im already at home?

I would say yes to the bra your boobs will be sore & a maternity bra is much comfier than a normal wired one. The breastpad thing depends how long your in hosp for hun, I needed them the day after i had josh & i was in hosp so yes i'm glad i took them. Each person will be different hun but i would take them just in case :)

YA it never hurts to be safe ill probably just get some breast pads and a comfy sports bra im still in the same bra i was before pregnancy but i will want comfort after im sure.

shaving bits and bobs? believe me i wasnt amused when i seen my arm pits :rofl:

I wouldn't bother with any fluffy socks (I took some cos people said you might get cold feet ) It was absolutely boiling in my hospital!! I would definitely take a hand held fan!

oh god yeah a fan! I was lucky to have one, had to leave it on all night directly at me!

These are the clothes we have packed for LO's hospital bag, plus 3x plain white body suits that aren't included in the pictures - do they look right? :shrug: I'm just worried they will be too big? They are all 0+ (except the black Metallica one which 3-6 but OH wants LO in that first for a photo as it was the first ever baby item we bought for LO!)

https://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g110/Kitty_fantastic_o/BabyandBump/DSCF4090-1.jpg
https://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g110/Kitty_fantastic_o/BabyandBump/DSCF4089-1.jpg
https://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g110/Kitty_fantastic_o/BabyandBump/DSCF4088-1.jpg​

Kte have you got vests for under the sleepsuits?

Yes, they haven't been washed yet so I didn't want to mix washed with un-washed (bit anal I know!) so they are not in the pictures.

I mentioned 3 white bodysuits in my previous post when I meant vests!! Might add a few more to be sure :wacko: :shrug:

lol not anal at all, I kept all my clean separate from unwashed.

Thanks for all suggestions. Think I should start to pack my bag now xx

Ok your all prob going to slap me ...but .... with my son i never washed any of the baby clothes before he wore them unless they were hand me downs/2nds. Anything new was not washed i never had a problem with baby wearing them either. To me the thought of washing all those clothes & knowing me ruin them all is just a waste. I'll be doing enough washing after baby is here i certainly ain't starting on it all now. I've left everything with labels on just in case i need to take them back & they are all wrapped so no dust or anything on them. I know someone here will mention something about the chemicals on the clothing but i've never heard loads of babies having problems, I'd be more inclined to say its that individual baby who has a reaction or is more sensitive to them .
Its not " highly common " for them to have reactions, Or if it is it isn't where i am , never heard of a baby yet having a reaction so i wont be washing all the new stuff

Ok your all prob going to slap me ...but .... with my son i never washed any of the baby clothes before he wore them unless they were hand me downs/2nds. Anything new was not washed i never had a problem with baby wearing them either. To me the thought of washing all those clothes & knowing me ruin them all is just a waste. I'll be doing enough washing after baby is here i certainly ain't starting on it all now. I've left everything with labels on just in case i need to take them back & they are all wrapped so no dust or anything on them. I know someone here will mention something about the chemicals on the clothing but i've never heard loads of babies having problems, I'd be more inclined to say its that individual baby who has a reaction or is more sensitive to them .
Its not " highly common " for them to have reactions, Or if it is it isn't where i am , never heard of a baby yet having a reaction so i wont be washing all the new stuff

I have wondered this two as i didnt think baby shops would be allowed to sell them if they were gona cause problems or at least they would have to put some kind of warning or advice to wash before use on the label, like they do with fruit lol. Most of my clothes are from ebay though so i have washed them and thrown the new ones in the wash anyway. My ebay buys have not been worn as some people go ott on baby clothes but they cant return them cos they washed them, i got some great bargins so i kinda like the idea lol.

I didn't even know people pre washed them til i joined here hun so it can't be that well known, midwives have never said anything either :shrug:

ebay is fab for bargains init lol

I never washed any of Zoe's stuff. It depends what it is! Some stuff can feel quite hard and I'll wash that to soften it up a bit.

A lot of my items were 2nd hand gifts, ebay or carboot bargains so that's why I have re-washed everything. I think maybe a handful of items have been bought for us brand new so I thought I might as well just do them all.

Hi ladies, just about to start packing my bag this week.

With regards to things that you will pack that you will need still BEFORE you go into labour, eg, toothbrush, hairbrush, make up, slippers etc ..... are you all buying spare versions of these items?

Cos i love my slippers and dont want to risk forgetting to pack them last minute but then il have to buy a new pair otherwise!

What is everyone else doing?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"