What To Pack In Your Hospital Bag - Suggestions

I didn't need much for my son when I had him, other than his outfit to wear home! The hospital provided everything we needed for him, including diapers, wipes etc... I am going to call them soon to find out if there is anything that changed for that stuff!

I brought a nice warm robe and comfy slippers for me, lots of snacks as I didn't much enjoy the food they had there... I was in for 4 days when I had my son, but I was young as well, so that might have had something to do with it.

Cant wait any longer!! Im starting to plan for my bag as im so excited about doing it haha!!
Sound about right so far?? Anything ive missed or need more / less of????

Me:
2 x Nighties
2 x PJs
Tracksuit bottoms
Tracksuit top
Trainers
7/8 x knickers
2 x pairs of socks
2 x bras
Dressing gown
Shampoo / conditioner
Shower gel
Toothbrush / toothpaste
2 x towels
Hairbrush / hair bands
Make-up / small mirror
Wipes
Deordrant / Perfume
Hand gel
Glasses
Birth plan / notes
Pads
Breat pads
Camera
Change
Phone numbers
Bag for dirty laundry

Labour:
Bikini top
Frozen drinks
Flannel
Munchies
Mini fan

Baby:
3 x Vests
3 x Baby grows
2 x Hats
2 x Mittens
2 x Booties
1 x Cardigan / Jacket
1 x Blanket
1 x Dummy
2 x bibs
Nappies
Nappy bags
Wipes
Sudacream
Bottles of milk (pre-made)
Baby scissors

Woohoo! I'm officially packed!

All I have to do now is grab a bag for hubby to put his bits and pieces in....camera, clean undies etc (he's also on snack duty! lol) but me and LO are sorted!! Took me flipping long enough! :dohh:

contents of baby bag - for those who are interested:

3 x vests
3 x babygro
3 x scratch mits
1 x hat
cardigan and mittens
outfit for coming home
fleece blanket
10 x nappies (going to try to squeeze the rest of the pack into my bag)
pack of sensitive wipes
cotton wool
nappy sacks
2 x muslin cloths
2 x bibs
1 x steriliser bottle
2 x dummies

I'm so chuffed....bring on the labour!! :happydance:

Hey there, thought i'd write on here about what a found most useful during labour- most def frozen bottles of water and water spray.

I dont know if its already been mentioned,but phone charger LOL!

Ive recently had a spell in hosp only to find my phone flat and no charger!!! my worst nightmare PMSL esp as i dont know anyones numbers off the top of my head.

I dont know if its already been mentioned,but phone charger LOL!

Ive recently had a spell in hosp only to find my phone flat and no charger!!! my worst nightmare PMSL esp as i dont know anyones numbers off the top of my head.

Oooh good point. I only use mine for incoming as I'm at home all the time....but I will need it wont I! lol......good tip! :thumbup:

We got told at the hospital I am going to (Calderdale Royal) you can bring electrical quipment but it has to be safety tested first . . . which could take forever apparently :dohh:

Also, they prefer us to bring powder formula instead of those ready made cartons so that they can show us how to properly make up a bottle feed. I am planning to breastfeed but have packed a couple of ready made ones in case there is any reason I can't at the time. Hmmm. Dunno what to do now! Might take some poweder as well as the cartons!

We got told at the hospital I am going to (Calderdale Royal) you can bring electrical quipment but it has to be safety tested first . . . which could take forever apparently :dohh:

Also, they prefer us to bring powder formula instead of those ready made cartons so that they can show us how to properly make up a bottle feed. I am planning to breastfeed but have packed a couple of ready made ones in case there is any reason I can't at the time. Hmmm. Dunno what to do now! Might take some poweder as well as the cartons!

Kte - they tell you a lot but ultimately you need to do what you are comfortable with. Personally, the MW will be calling round the first day you're home, so you can ask her if you have any questions. Priority in hospital is to make sure you're both well....not to know if you can boil a kettle! Plus we have enough to take in without a tin of powder to add to it all.

I don't know about anyone else but I'm getting a little sick of all of the 'interference'......I'm lucky in that the birth centre are really laid back so I can pretty much dictate lol....but I hear so many comments about wipes, milk, feeding times, visiting times, and all I can think of is I've enough of this coming from my mother without a bunch of midwives doing the same thing to me!

Sorry - I'll get off my soap box now!

Kte I wouldnt worry about taking in powder. If it comes to it oh can always be sent to get anything you need. OH pointed out to me I only need things for a day for baby as he will come back the next day and can bring extra things. Ive still packed a few of everything clothes wise in case of sickly baby :lol:

I still haven't finalised baby's bag at all. Only thing I have been told about the ward i'll be staying is visiting times. Guess I will find otu more at the tour next Monday.

Phone them and see if they're okay with it being PATested by your registered electrician. If you phone any electrician from the Yellow Pages, they'll do it for you. It's usually only £1.00 per item (but done in bulk), so perhaps a tenner. TV shops (the smaller ones) may do it too.

:thumbup:

Kte - they tell you a lot but ultimately you need to do what you are comfortable with. Personally, the MW will be calling round the first day you're home, so you can ask her if you have any questions. Priority in hospital is to make sure you're both well....not to know if you can boil a kettle! Plus we have enough to take in without a tin of powder to add to it all.

I don't know about anyone else but I'm getting a little sick of all of the 'interference'......I'm lucky in that the birth centre are really laid back so I can pretty much dictate lol....but I hear so many comments about wipes, milk, feeding times, visiting times, and all I can think of is I've enough of this coming from my mother without a bunch of midwives doing the same thing to me!

Sorry - I'll get off my soap box now!

It was my MW who said it the other day when she came to see the birth plan :wacko: I said I was going to try breastfeeding first but she metioned about f'feeding when I said I was happy for the LO to use a bottle. They don't recommend that but I'm taking some anyway (the closer to nature ones). I get they need to give guidance but when it comes to feeding they seem to be a bit too controlling, I think its because the hosp and birth centre are an awarded centre for natural feeding so they like to push it, which is the only thing I don't 100% agree with. If I have to express and bottle feed so be it!

I felt the same at the last antenatal class, they were saying, sleep when baby sleeps when you get home. Then showed us all the paperwork that needs to be filled out (baby monitoring book), was on about midwife visitis, the health visitor visits and not to mention the fact that all our family and friends will be pressed up against the window tryting to get a peek! :dohh:

Kte I wouldnt worry about taking in powder. If it comes to it oh can always be sent to get anything you need. OH pointed out to me I only need things for a day for baby as he will come back the next day and can bring extra things. Ive still packed a few of everything clothes wise in case of sickly baby :lol:

I still haven't finalised baby's bag at all. Only thing I have been told about the ward i'll be staying is visiting times. Guess I will find otu more at the tour next Monday.

The Birth Centre seem very good for everything else, I am a little worries about the whole feeding issue. I will just take the cartons as they are only a precaution and if needs be, like you say, my OH can pop out and get powedered milk if need be. They can hardly say no to me feeding LO can they!!

Ive said if im ill and cant feed straight away baby is not to get a bottle. I want to give BF the best shot possible.

We're FFeeding from day 1 and while the birth centre is all about 'natural parenting' not once have they said anything that will lead me to believe that they will force BFing onto me! I'm taking 2/3 of the cartons, hubby can bring more cartons or powder in with him if needs be when he heads home, but I'm hoping to be home in 24-36 hours!

If I'm honest I've had enough of people telling me what to do, what not to do, what I can and can't have, what's 'best' for me, for hubby, for baby, for the next door's cat! It's really getting to me! I'm taking what I think is right, I've researched, and if they have a problem I know hubby will back me up. Sorry for the tone...I know that the staff are 'only trying to help' but what's that old proverb about too many cooks etc?

We're FFeeding from day 1 and while the birth centre is all about 'natural parenting' not once have they said anything that will lead me to believe that they will force BFing onto me! I'm taking 2/3 of the cartons, hubby can bring more cartons or powder in with him if needs be when he heads home, but I'm hoping to be home in 24-36 hours!

If I'm honest I've had enough of people telling me what to do, what not to do, what I can and can't have, what's 'best' for me, for hubby, for baby, for the next door's cat! It's really getting to me! I'm taking what I think is right, I've researched, and if they have a problem I know hubby will back me up. Sorry for the tone...I know that the staff are 'only trying to help' but what's that old proverb about too many cooks etc?

I totally agree with you aimee. I just know the problem with me is that I sometimes don't stand up for myself when I am tired so I will pre-warn OH to help back me up. It's the only isssue with them that I am concerned about. I have an idea in my head how I want to do it and have mentioned it in other feeding posts and am happy with my decisions!

Like you say (and my mum says) don't let them bully you ~ do what you want and feel is best for you!

Quick question girls....when (ideally) should you have your bag packed by?? or when are you all aiming to get it done by??

I aimed to get mine done weeks ago lol. It's half packed with pads and night clothes. I think I will finish it off over the next few days, I am just struggling with the coming home outfit and a few mini essentials.

LO's is packed already!

im only just starting to think about whats going in it, thought i had ages yet but thinking about it im 32 weeks tomorrow eek!! wheres time going!! guess i better get my bum into gear! coz im the sort of person with the luck that ill go into labour early and have nothing packed lol!

what week did everyone get their bag ready unsure when to do mine?

Both mine and LO's are packed n ready :) I get a little OCD about stuff like this and needed to make sure we're ready for any eventuality, so I've had mine done for about a week now lol!

I planned to have mine done by now but it just hasn't worked out that way...:blush: It is nearly there now though, i just need to do some washing and it will be pretty much finished. There is some stuff that i can't pack until the very last minute anyway (like camera, and make-up and birthing ball, for e.g!) but other than that it will be pretty much all done and packed by this time next week, (so 34 weeks) as we're going away for a week holiday (in the uk!) and i am taking my hospital bag with me just in case!!!!

My suggestion on things to pack is when you go on your hospital tour find out if they have birthing balls for every room, our hospital doesn't (although they have some 'on order' apparently!) and they recommend you bring your own if you really want to use one, which i wasn't expecting, so that means we are now packing a hand pump and a deflated birthing ball into my jam-packed hospital bag now too :wacko:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->