What To Pack In Your Hospital Bag - Suggestions

I've got a small case for me and baby (along with a spare tshirt, socks and bocker shorts for OH) and a "labour" rucksack that has everything I need for the actual labour - maternity notes, nightie, drinks/snacks, camera, baby's first outfit, that kinda stuff.

One of my best friends just had her baby last week, I was asking her if there was anything she wished she would have packed in her bag and she said a water spray to spray in her mouth, odd as it sounds, she said that the gas and air makes your mouth sooo dry and she had to drink vast amounts of water which kept making her bladder to full so she reccomended the water spray for her face and mouth.

One of my best friends just had her baby last week, I was asking her if there was anything she wished she would have packed in her bag and she said a water spray to spray in her mouth, odd as it sounds, she said that the gas and air makes your mouth sooo dry and she had to drink vast amounts of water which kept making her bladder to full so she reccomended the water spray for her face and mouth.

Its true hun the gas & air does make your mouth VERY dry, So apart from a lot of drink, A water spray & lip balm will be needed as your lips can get a little sore/chapped too so defo take lip balm!

When i was in labour they wouldn't let me have any food or sugary drink as there was comps & an emergency section was looking likely but i needed flavour in my mouth so just in case this time i'm taking the flavoured water , like volvic strawberry or the perfectly clear stuff, its refreshing & fab!!

After spending the night in hospital i am taking out the pjs and changing them for strappy tops and short. Its like a sauner in there lol

I'm debated taking some of the OH's carbohydrate gels that he uses when he does long runs (marathon length) as he says they work wonders for his energy when he runs and its only a few milliliters of fluid that is easily digested.

Double check on those chuck to make sure they are ok, I can't see them not being but just to be sure :hugs:

I'm sick of unpacking my bag & repacking it lol its getting on my nerves the amount of times i " just check to make sure " ARGH !!
I haven't got any magazines or sweets in yet but i'm gonna throw those in, & a puzzle book. I'll be doing my music cd's for my bag as i've moved them & now can't find them :dohh: & i'm taking a photo of Josh to put next to Jaxon to show him his big brother.
Not sure what else to put in to stop me being bored, I could of borrowed joshs gameboy but he's getting it for his birthday that same week so i can hardly see him letting me pinch it lol ...

I'm struggling for space in my bag even though it's quite big, perhaps i'll have to try my little wheelie suitcase or a seperate bag for labour.
Aarghh theres just so much to try and think about packing for!

Can i ask how many towels people have packed/used for a water birth?
Ive got 2, 1 for when I get out of the pool and another for after ive showered and a little hair one.

I have a small, labour/essential overnight bag that is light and i can carry myself incase my oh isnt around when i go in. Also i have had to go in the odd night with high blood pressure and its been really usefull. And then a bigger bag for if i need to stay with towels baby stuff and spare clothes etc.

Ok well i went a bit nuts last night and unpacked and repacked my hospital bag and then unpacked it again, ironed everything and repacked it again :blush: Nesting?! Moi?! Lol.

So i thought that now it is definitely done i would tell you all what i have in there, my final list!

Maternity notes
Nightie for labour
Nightie for after
Dressing gown (light one)
PJs
Socks (3 pairs)
Knickers (3 pairs)
Disposable knickers (I've heard these aren't great but i had already bought a pack so packed them anyway)
Maternity pads (2 packs, just in case)
Breast pads
Nipple cream
Nursing bra
Face wipes
Toothpaste and toothbrush
Shampoo and conditioner
Soap and flannel
Hairbrush, bobble and hair clips
Deodrant
Moisturiser
Little bit of make-up
Massage oil
Breath-easy nasal strips (i have sinus trouble, and the last thing i need if i'm trying to do some deep breathing is a snotty/blocked nose!)
T shirt/boxers/socks and body spray for OH
Tens machine (although i'll probably have this on way before we head to the hospital but at least this way i know where to find it!)
Camera
Natal Hypnotherapy CD
Ipod and earphones
Mobile and charger
Lipbalm/vaseline
Lansinoh latch assist thingy (just in case)
Money
Snacks (not actually packed them yet, got to buy some first!)

That is all in a large holdall. Then i have a small rucksack for baby's stuff:

Newborn vests (x2)
Newborn sleepsuits (x2)
0-3 vest (just the one)
0-3 sleepsuit (just the one)
scratch mitts (2 pairs)
Hat
Blanket
Nappies (12)
Nappy bags
Baby wipes
Cotton wool
Top to toe wash
Muslin squares (x2)
Soft towel

Then when it is time to come home OH will be bringing in the car seat, a clean blanket, a going home outfit for both me and baby and a box of chocs and a card for the staff :thumbup:

Ok well i went a bit nuts last night and unpacked and repacked my hospital bag and then unpacked it again, ironed everything and repacked it again :blush: Nesting?! Moi?! Lol.

So i thought that now it is definitely done i would tell you all what i have in there, my final list!

Maternity notes
Nightie for labour
Nightie for after
Dressing gown (light one)
PJs
Socks (3 pairs)
Knickers (3 pairs)
Disposable knickers (I've heard these aren't great but i had already bought a pack so packed them anyway)
Maternity pads (2 packs, just in case)
Breast pads
Nipple cream
Nursing bra
Face wipes
Toothpaste and toothbrush
Shampoo and conditioner
Soap and flannel
Hairbrush, bobble and hair clips
Deodrant
Moisturiser
Little bit of make-up
Massage oil
Breath-easy nasal strips (i have sinus trouble, and the last thing i need if i'm trying to do some deep breathing is a snotty/blocked nose!)
T shirt/boxers/socks and body spray for OH
Tens machine (although i'll probably have this on way before we head to the hospital but at least this way i know where to find it!)
Camera
Natal Hypnotherapy CD
Ipod and earphones
Mobile and charger
Lipbalm/vaseline
Lansinoh latch assist thingy (just in case)
Money
Snacks (not actually packed them yet, got to buy some first!)

That is all in a large holdall. Then i have a small rucksack for baby's stuff:

Newborn vests (x2)
Newborn sleepsuits (x2)
0-3 vest (just the one)
0-3 sleepsuit (just the one)
scratch mitts (2 pairs)
Hat
Blanket
Nappies (12)
Nappy bags
Baby wipes
Cotton wool
Top to toe wash
Muslin squares (x2)
Soft towel

Then when it is time to come home OH will be bringing in the car seat, a clean blanket, a going home outfit for both me and baby and a box of chocs and a card for the staff :thumbup:

my god.....reckon i need to re think my bag!!lol!! you going away for the weekend?!!!!

Haha :haha: i don't really 'do' packing light, lol. But in my defence i am going to be staying a minimum of 24 hours after the birth, possibly longer depending on how labour and birth goes, and OH doesn't drive so it's not like he can be nipping backwards and forwards for stuff if i run out you see!

brilliant thread with lots of great ideas, have just spent like foreverreading it all lol, but the only hing i can add is that a lot of people seem to be only packing 2/3 vests/sleepsuits for lo, i was in for 24 hours with jack and went through 5 or 6 sets

I think i might take a trip to asda tonight and get my essentials! I will feel better once its all packed! x

Your list is practically the same as mine Rebaby, my oh couldn't believe how much stuff I was packing :haha:

i ve packed a pair of slipper socks. you def want something to go on your feet, trust me im a nurse and you should see what gets swept up off the floors.

yeah was thinking for after when walking to the bathroom or whatever, i overheat if my feet get too hot so i rarely wear socks, ill get a pair of slippers for if i need to move around, or even flip flops!

I dont normally wear socks or slippers but I've got a pair to take in, just for mooching around in getting dinner etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->